+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Complete NV3500 Swap

are you saying my nv3500 out of my donor dak wont work?

I like free kittens

Status

you need to do some more reading on what the parts are and where they go and what they do...

the flywheel has nothing to do with the transmission.

yes. everything out of the donor truck will work, EXCEPT the flywheel. why? because the way the 360 is balanced is different than the way the 318 is balanced, and you cannot put a 318 flywheel behind a stock 360, unless you enjoy engine vibrations, broken motor mounts, torn up engine bearings, etc.
    --Tom
    **Photobucket can suck my nut**

I'm a douchebag

Status

I have successfully installed a NV3500 into a '98 R/T, and yes Hemifever + SCT will allow your stock automatic PCM to run with a manual, and run better. As far as flywheel, the 360 is externally balanced versus the 318's internal balance, so I got a Ram 5.9 flywheel from Napa, possible part number 88375 (possible because I'm on my tablet using questionable mobile versions of websites). I have a regular cab so I can't comment on aluminum versus steel driveshaft, but I would think as long as the aluminum is balanced correctly it would be beneficial. Lower weight, lower inertial effort required for the engine to turn it, should be more power to the wheels.

::EDIT:: oh and pilot bearing P4876065 to go in the back of your auto crankshaft
    Last edited by breeze98RT; 07-26-2013 at 08:37 AM. Reason: more required parts!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by matt360r/t View Post
    I didnt see a indepth nv swap thread so I figured I'd make one.

My goal was to have a nearly bolt-in trans swap. that looks completely OEM.
    a manual R/T is the truck ive wanted since I got my license , so im pretty excited.

gonna have parts lists, pics etc. all the parts should arrive before xmas
    and I have some time off after xmas, thats when i plan to do the swap
    Did u have any issues with the drive shaft fitting? Sorry about the bull shit question. I'm just trying to figur out what I'm getting into

Cool NV3500 Issues and how to look out for them!

ok i've been wanting this swap for a 239 for a while and plan on helping a buddy develop a I3 that's BASICALLY a 3.9 cut in half at the cam with 40 over pistons and making ok to not bad power for the size
    but onto the NV3500

I've been reading up on them since starting my hunt for one and now that i've finished the hunt with a parts yard fresh NV3500 out of a 99 dakota heres what i can tell you from what my information gathering has lead to.

MOST IMPORTANT!
    THE RIGHT GEAR OIL

From the Wiki Page
    "Lubrication[edit]

NOTE:

• 5W30 engine oil does not contain additives for use in manual transmissions.
    • Additives in standard gear and axle lubes will etch the bronze synchronizers and 80W oil will not properly flow into the NV3500 bearings."

Lubricants for the NV3500:

• OEM Recommended:
      • Mopar Manual Transmission Lubricant (4874464)
      • GM Synchromesh Transmission Fluid (in US 12377916 in Canada 10953465)

• Less expensive alternatives CERTIFIED to meet GM 9985648 and Chrysler MS-9224:

AMSOIL Synthetic Synchromesh Transmission Fluid

Pennzoil Synchromesh Fluid

Royal Purple Synchromax

Royal Purple Max Gear

RAVENOL STF Synchromesh Transmission Fluid

Capacity:

Capacity:

• NV3500 4.2 pints DRY is stated in the Owners Manual and the Service Manual.
    • NV3500-HD 2.0 Litres is stated in the Owners Manual and the Service Manual.
      When performing a fluid change some of the old oil will not drain out.

so just so everyone understands these trannies are picky little shits but you just em the right gooo and they will treat you right
      Hanhs5.2 probs knows this or the guy who changes the fluid uses the right shit and is WHY these trannys last with him
      speaking of which Hanhs5.2 could you tell me the kind of power numbers you are/where making with your boosted 318? like even if its just what you made to the wheel it will tell me alot of how stout these little shits are
      north of 500 pft?
      400?
      how hard where you smacking the tranny?
      bang shifting/ clutch dumping?
      im personally hoping i can at some point punch out a stout 310 ponies from my lill V6 with time and about that in torque which will be WELL withing the torque load of the tranny as stated earlier but i gots ta know what these trannies can stand up too max load wise with say a fresh rebuild or some shit like that

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5