+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: KEISLER 6-SPEED KIT - new kit in development

Prefers DSMs over R/Ts

Status

Default KEISLER 6-SPEED KIT - new kit in development

Quote Originally Posted by ChargerSRT View Post
    Hi Dakota RT members,

Some years ago, my company manufactured 5 & 6-speed transmission kits for Dakota. We discontinued these in 2006, primarily due to cost of the 6-speed kit, and the many variations of Dakota which created complexity in the build and service.

As an original owner of one of the first Dakota R/T built (actually have a first article tag on one of my interior parts), I wanted to bring this product back - for the community and self.

So, I am refocused on a limited production 6-speed kit utilizing an inhouse remanufactured T56 for the 5.9L Dakota R/T only - no other engine variants (4.7, 5.7, 318, etc). By using a reman T56 and limiting options, I am hopeful to control the costs to an attractive price point.

I would like some help from the forum to implement a sticky post with a POLL, so I can understand your expectations.

If someone can send me an email to skeisler at keislerauto dot com and let me know how to proceed, that would be a big help.

My truck will have the first 6-speed kit within a few more weeks.

I am looking at doing this as a comemerative special edition celebrating the 10th year anniversary of the Dakota R/T. I have nearly completed a resto-mod of my 1998 R/T, and look forward to driving it again.

My truck could possibly be at the Dakota R/T Nationals event for show and demonstration. I will be at the Mopar Nationals the weekend before in Columbus OH, so I am uncertain if I could attend this event, but possibly one of my staff or a member of the Tremec staff.

Best Regards,

good news. this is something i have wanted for a while but couldnt do before when the kits were available. maybe i can afford to do it now

OK....im listening.....lol. Who wouldnt want to slam a 6 speed in their RT!

Unnamed moocher

Status

Nice... comes with the pedal assembly & all?

Default Wow, I want a 6-Speed!

Hey!
    IM in! I want it! When will it be available, and where do I sign up? You can email me at guitargod070890@comcast.net and let me know, but im sure i'll email you first. Im so syked!

Status

It all depends on the price.

gen III traitor

Status

Im in. just about to buy a aps tranny but i think I wait for this. Should be just enough time to save some $$$

Quote Originally Posted by BluRT00 View Post
    Part your red sport out and buy a gen 2. Problem solved.

Pushrod Power

Status

ill be the minority and keep my auto thanks

Im McLovin WHHooooooo

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
    ill be the minority and keep my auto thanks
    yeah me tooo after getting my aps tranny ill stick with the auto....dont get me wrong it would be cool as hell...just love my tranny now lol

I Don't care if you Lick Windows
    Take the Special Bus,
    Or Occasionally Pee on Yourself
    You Hang in There Sunshine, You're Special

gen III traitor

Status

is this really going to happen and if so whats the estimated time before I can get one?

Status

FINALLY!!!! I might have to work on producing a first-born....so I can sell it to get this kit....been waiting since the first one came out.
    - Justin

'00 BW CC R/T
    '91 Graphite Turbo Targa Supra

F-Quick Myspace Facebook

Send Lawyers Guns & Money

Status

I got to drive the prototype Kiesler 6 speed R/T back in '04 and if I were to invest that kind of money in one now, I would have to see it work in person and perhaps drive it. I didn't think it came out very well the first go-around.
    Alan Short
    D.R.T.C. #15

Back in black

Status

Quote Originally Posted by grapejuice1998 View Post
    I got to drive the prototype Kiesler 6 speed R/T back in '04 and if I were to invest that kind of money in one now, I would have to see it work in person and perhaps drive it. I didn't think it came out very well the first go-around.
    What didnt you like about it?

Status

Very Interesting!!! I would be interested also, depending on price!
    Rick '01 AF RC and a '04 Ram CTD

Status

Quote Originally Posted by WeezyRT View Post
    On top of the 5000ish dollar price tag I think I've probably read more negatives about Keisler over the past few years than positives. I can't remember anything specific really but fuck, the price tag alone is stupid. I can maybe understand doing the swap if it's a bolt on and go type deal and not having to worry about it again. But to shell out that kind of money and have issues afterwards and kinks to work out over time...I'm not interested in paying that kinda money for more problems to deal with. Owning/maintaining this fucker is enough.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by WeezyRT View Post
    Perhaps some of this has been worked out, but;

There is a problem with the PCM not responding well to the swap on the newer models. It thought it was in neutral and would hit the 4k rev limiter. Also, there were no reverse lights. The shifter itself is like a row boat oar, it's HUGE. So huge, I banged my knuckles on the dash hitting 3rd. It was also very tricky to engage 3rd in a hurry (such as at the track). I would often find 5th instead. I'm pretty decent with a shifter too, so it's not the fact that I can't drive. I can. The truck also eventually wouldn't shift into reverse. I believe it was an internal problem.
    In my estimation, it's a good idea that hadn't been refined and even if it had, it was still pretty steep in cost.
    I never had a crack at a 5 speed though. Perhaps it works better.

I'm not saying any of this to bash the vendor. I just want to make everyone aware that it might not be as rosey as it may seem. Too bad an R/T wasn't available with a slick shifting, durable, manual transmission from the factory.
    Alan Short
    D.R.T.C. #15

Default KEISLER 6-SPEED KIT for Dakota R/T

Hi Folks,

Thanks for chiming in, and for the feedback. I can address a few points quickly:

1) YoungB (Barry Y.) truck / ECM - if I remember correctly, the truck went to a meet in Atlanta, prior to the kit's completion. At that time, the computer, shifter handle, and some odds and ends were not complete. After that, we finished up the truck, and Barry did some further work for the supercharger electronics to allow the truck to run full power.

I will not release the product unless B&G or Diablosports can support the ECM reflash for the manual. The last time I checked with both, they can. The ECM tuning world has come along way since 2003, and I was happy with the work B&G did for us. They had to develop it for us - no one had done it prior.

2) shifter - to keep cost down, I plan to move the shifter back, and require the console be eliminated or changed to a good aftermarket piece. This will allow the shifter handle to be much shorter, and more ergonomic. I have already done this in my '98 Dak R/T (I also put Charger SRT power seats in it, and there was no way I was going to keep that clunky console in place). If you have suggestions on aftermarket consoles, let me know.

3) hydraulic clutch - a far better piece than what we used back then. The new one has an stackable spacers for easy set-up, a single line bleed, and works with the factory hydraulic master cylinder

4) accessories - backup lamps, reverse lock-out solenoid will all work; Barry's truck has these working also.

5) price - to keep cost down, I am going to ask that you purchase:
    a) the pedal and hydraulic assembly from your local dealership or get one second hand from a yard. Just source one from a 318 5-speed (NV3500) truck, or 6cyl 5-speed (NV2550) truck. Should not be hard to find, and cheap.
    b) Also, if you want to source your own 360 magnum flywheel used, that's fine, but I don't recommend it. I plan to supply a new OE type piece with the speed reluctor pickup pads built in, as required to run factory EFI. (If you are running an aftermarket EFI, you might have more flexibility. But I am not going to get into that - I am keeping it KISS simple - only the 5.9L magnum with factory efi).
    c) the shifter will be moved back as mentioned above - if you want the OE shifter position, it will be available as an upsell only, and we CAN do it.
    d) trans will be remanufactured in house, and upgraded with all of the best parts internally, including Viper type input shaft, etc.
    e) driveshaft - you will have to purchase this used from a Ram, and I will give you a part number and year application. We will supply the slip yoke and u-joint to change out the one on the used piece. We can build you a new steel driveshaft if you have a regular cab, at extra cost.
    f) if you opt for the factory shifter position, then you will need to source the factory console base for manual truck - new or used. It will come with a decent shifter boot. My kit will have a nice boot, trim ring, and a killer shifter handle I am doing special for this kit. surprise.

IF I move forward with it, I will do a commemorative edition for the first run. There will be some cool stuff with it - more later.

And let me reiterate: this is not a done deal. I am doing it for my truck now, and plan to do it for you if it makes sense. If it doesn't make complete sense - economics, PITA, ECM issues or any else unforeseen problems - it will only be a one off for my truck. Let's keep our fingers crossed!
    Shafi Keisler, Original Owner 1998 Dakota R/T "R/T56 6-Speed Equipped"
    www.keislerauto.com

Deep Amethyst, Rallye hood, ViperSRT10 wheels, 4-wheel disc, SRT8 power seats, Hotckis, Sidewinder Interior

Status

lets do it I already have all those parts laying around and the R/T in going to need a fresh tranny soon.

SWEET!!!! I was days away from buying a sportsman SMR trans, not that i needed it now, but to back up my 408 when its completed. Now i think ill wait to see what happens here. I think a big pistol grip shifter would look awsome in my RT!

Under Construction..Again

Status

Just to let everyone know, mine works perfectly. Right now its in pieces not related to the trans ($@!&@ tree's) Everything worked as if it came from the factory, reverse lights, no CEL's ever, factory console. I also have a blower on mine, so far so good. Some pics on my cardomain site, including the wonderful tree.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2177780

Last edited by 6speedrt; 07-26-2008 at 01:20 AM.

Status

Alan and Jason need to drive my TKO truck. It shifts like buttah. Never had a problem at the track with it even. It practically sucks the shifter into 3rd. It's almost impossible to accidentally shift into 5th. Maybe the T56 is different, but I love my TKO.
    03 CC 4.7 NV3500

Default TKO, T56 - both are killer transmissions

Here is the general rule of TKO vs T56 application:

1. street/highway use only - T56 will offer better shift quality, slightly quieter operation, double overdrive so you can drop the rpm when at 50mph & up
    2. street/highway, infrequent track - either is fine
    3. mostly track, infrequent highway - TKO will offer more torque capacity, less weight (by 30 lbs)
    4. track only - TKO 600 with .82 5th gives a pulling 5th gear

Both require the clutch to be fully released or it will be difficult to impossible to get good shift quality (= hydraulics must be bleed out fully like your brakes).

TKO & T56 can be proshifted (non-sychromesh/dog face engagement). TKO is cost effective to proshift. T56 is very expensive.

If you like a stick, either will work great, as they have the performance ratios and torque. The T56 going into my truck has a .8 5th, and .62 6th - my favorite ratios.

I would not even be considering offering the T56 kit if it was not for the simple fact we can get cores to rebuild for a limited low volume, exclusive offering.
    Shafi Keisler, Original Owner 1998 Dakota R/T "R/T56 6-Speed Equipped"
    www.keislerauto.com

Deep Amethyst, Rallye hood, ViperSRT10 wheels, 4-wheel disc, SRT8 power seats, Hotckis, Sidewinder Interior

Status

I will agree mine is a little bit noisy, but I've gotten used to it. Everyone that drives it loves it.

I still have pictures of mine that I need to send you guys.
    03 CC 4.7 NV3500

gen III traitor

Status

Will there be any problems will clearing headers?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by mtlcafan79 View Post
    Alan and Jason need to drive my TKO truck. It shifts like buttah. Never had a problem at the track with it even. It practically sucks the shifter into 3rd. It's almost impossible to accidentally shift into 5th. Maybe the T56 is different, but I love my TKO.
    Just to clarify, I was talking about Kerrys truck. I'm sure those that were at the MD meet will remember his SY RC with the 6 speed.

If the problems I mentioned have been worked out, then that's fine.
    Rock on!
    Alan Short
    D.R.T.C. #15

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast