+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: power quarter windows

never ending project

Status

Default power quarter windows

hey guys i know someone had to have done this mod at one point however ive been searching through the forums & have had no luck finding any threads on this topic. if anyone has done this please lmk, also any links or additional info on this would be awesome.

thanks

MODS: STARTING ALL OVER AGAIN !

Status

Also interested. My thoughts were to get some power vent actuators from an old caravan and run some switches.
    3"drop lca, tubular uppers, qa1 coilovers on all corners, parallel 4 link with panhard, gc tank relocated to spare location between rails, walbro 255, hotchkis front sway, srt4 seats, manual sunroof, stereo, dual 3" exhaust with electric cutouts,

Pretends well

Status

Exactly, ram guys have done it. I was going to do it until I sold it. Let me see if i can find the thread about it

never ending project

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
    Exactly, ram guys have done it. I was going to do it until I sold it. Let me see if i can find the thread about it
    cool that would be awesome!

if i remember correctly the ones used in the article had these cable looking things attached to the piece that mounts to the window. now i think this project has been done again since the original article using more updated components that no longer need the older cable style motors.

Status

The unofficial 'official' kit that was done for the Daks about 12-13yrs ago used rear window motors from a grand caravan and the controls. I have the kit, just haven't installed it...but I've had the idea to use a window switch from a Durango or Dak QC instead of the caravan controls, and i think someone on here has already done that.
    - Justin

'00 BW CC R/T
    '91 Graphite Turbo Targa Supra

F-Quick Myspace Facebook

monypit

Status
    Pro Classifieds

My friend Jody Fryer (fryertuck)He had it on his 99 CC which he sold and kept the power windows, motors, switches and all.
    I would hit him up!

Was a cool feature!
    Brian Akers AKA "Lunchbox"
    2001 CC R/T 408

http://youtu.be/ptIJR7scdBM

Accumulating parts...

Status

Switches...

Power Caravan actuators

Sorry the pics suck, the truck is in the garage with minimal lighting.
    12.10@106@Famoso Raceway

Iva also been thinking about doing this mod, I think there are some voyaguers or caravans that have the same switch panel than 98 - 00 daks, with the side vents incorporated...

by the way, nice grill SnipeDak02

oh and nice bumper Shrek
    - A. Rivera

1998 CC R/T Viper Silver
    M1, HS 1.7RR, UD Pulley, Flow Tech Shorties, Single Flowmaster

never ending project

Status

Quote Originally Posted by arivera View Post

by the way, nice grill SnipeDak02

oh and nice bumper Shrek
    thanks man!! i see we think alike, lol

GoFast, can you let me know the year & model those motors came from? also is there anything special with the wiring? were these the motors that have the cables or the newer style ones
    Last edited by SnipeDak02; 10-24-2012 at 05:37 AM.

Accumulating parts...

Status

Quote Originally Posted by SnipeDak02 View Post
    GoFast, can you let me know the year & model those motors came from? also is there anything special with the wiring? were these the motors that have the cables or the newer style ones
    no clue, came with the red truck. I'm not sure if Russ (original owner) or Todd did them. But Todd (White59RT) would know more than I.
    12.10@106@Famoso Raceway

never ending project

Status

White59RT - if you have any info on this project you can share that would be awesome, im going to send you a pm as well.
    thanks

gofastgray - Anymore details pic etc?

I had the stuff to do this on my SLT before i bought my RT. MIght be a fun little useless project to by my time this winter.

ttt

Someone can PM Corey. He bought my truck and I had the power quarters in it. He might be able to take a pic of two of where the switches are. I located them in the center console, just behind the two storage trays. I had a '00 model BTW. Oh, and I got my "kit" from Jody many years ago.

Rick

Accumulating parts...

Status

Quote Originally Posted by jmaack727 View Post
    gofastgray - Anymore details pic etc?

I had the stuff to do this on my SLT before i bought my RT. MIght be a fun little useless project to by my time this winter.
    Just got an actual camera by mail today. If I have time, I'll snap some pics
    12.10@106@Famoso Raceway

never ending project

Status

Quote Originally Posted by GoFastGray View Post
    Just got an actual camera by mail today. If I have time, I'll snap some pics
    by chance did you take those pics ?

Accumulating parts...

Status

by chance did you take those pics ?
    Why yes...

12.10@106@Famoso Raceway

Status

Do they open just as far or less?
    3"drop lca, tubular uppers, qa1 coilovers on all corners, parallel 4 link with panhard, gc tank relocated to spare location between rails, walbro 255, hotchkis front sway, srt4 seats, manual sunroof, stereo, dual 3" exhaust with electric cutouts,

never ending project

Status

Why yes...

thanks for the photos! do you know if these are the old style motors with the cable operation from the early 90's or if there the newer ones that are one piece motors (no cables running to a separate motor).

Accumulating parts...

Status

thanks for the photos! do you know if these are the old style motors with the cable operation from the early 90's or if there the newer ones that are one piece motors (no cables running to a separate motor).
    Not sure, I'd have to rip the panels off.
    12.10@106@Famoso Raceway

never ending project

Status

Not sure, I'd have to rip the panels off.
    no need to go crazy i was just wondering, judging by the buttons your using i would assume they are the early 90's cable style. my idea is to get a durango or quad cab drivers side window switch panel & hook up the 2 quarter window motors to the factory switches. my only hold up was figuring out which caravan motors to use? the newer ones are all in one so i dont need the cables & separate motor, however im not sure how they would mount, etc. guess ill just call around to some junkyards & if i can pick them up cheap ill just do a little trial & error

thanks again!

never ending project

Status

Default update!!

hey guys i have an update on this mod.

the following items would be all you need to purchase to complete this.

1) 96-2000 Caravan quarter window motors (pr) est. $45-60 from local scrap yard or ebay

2) depending on your year truck either 98-2000, or 01-03 Durango drivers side door module with the bezel - est. $50-75 scrapyard or ebay

3) (2) 3/16 x 1.75 threaded eye hook (the fine thread with nut not the self tapping kind) $1.00 ea local hardware store.

4) about 20 feet of speaker wire or equivalent

the rest now is just labor.

first you need to remove the upper panels around the quarter windows & then the latch assembly from the body & glass. next you will need to trim off the lower hole section of the motor for some additional clearance. then you need to line up the top bolt hole on the motor to the top bolt hole from the original latch (bodyside) trace onto the body the outline of the new motor with a sharpie. you will now need to get out your elec or air cut off wheel & cut out the outlined section of the inner sheet metal for the motor to actually sit close enough to the body to line up the bolt hole & the interior panel once complete. now i spaced my motor about a half inch away from the body on the upper mounting hole with 2 oversized nuts(no pun intended, LOL) & used a longer bolt to mount the motor. to keep the motor from twisting once powered up use a HD zip tie around the lower half of the motor to an existing hole in the sheetmetal. now if your lucky enough to have the wiring pigtails from the donor car then you can just splice in some new wire & start routing into the drivers door preferrably through the door boot. otherwise you can grab o couple of those small terminal ends that slide onto a blade style connection. once the wires are in the door you need to swap your stock switch set for the durango style & you can either look up the pins on the FSM for your model truck or PM me & i can help you. what you want to do now is plug in the new door switch & slide the wires into the respective pins for side window your working on & test them depending how you want the switch set up you can either push the button up to open or close. once you picked your desired operation, what i did was put a dab of hot glue (black epoxy kind) into the hole with the wire in let it cool & your set. the door modules already have the power & ground coming into them so the 2 wires from the motors are just the open & close selection.

in the next post you'll see some quick cell photos of what i did.

thanks!!!

EDIT:

you will need to trim the upper panel about 1/4 - 3/16 around the spot where the motor extends to the glass.

also for the glass side of this you need to pull the pin out of the factory latch for the small piece that attaches to the glass & screw that back on the window. then just pop the eye hook over the ball end of the window motor & slide the threaded side into the window piece & just snug the small nut on the bottom. you can see what i mean in the picks below!

thanks
    Last edited by SnipeDak02; 11-27-2012 at 10:39 PM.

never ending project

Status

last one is a video, click on the pic & should open up media player!

Status

nice write up im hitting the junkyard this weekend!

DRTC Member #1146

Status

That's pretty cool! Nice work!

2002 Flame Red RC R/T
    272 RWHP 315 ft/lb TQ
    218/226 Comp Cam, Stage 1 Ported EQ Heads, PRW 1.6 Roller Rockers, PIE Custom Tune, Full spintech exhaust with 3" side exit, 52mm Holley, Ported Kegger, Viper E-Fan, Powerdemon Trans, Hotchkis Springs, Leafs and Sway Bars, R/T 20's, Gen 3 viper seats, Custom "Rejected" State Inspection Sticker
    Plenty More to come

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast