Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Supercharger kit suggestions

Blown and Squirted

Status

Yeah I can offer a non A/C bracket, that would be a revision of the first prototype bracket you see pictured. This way it wouldn't look funny if you didn't have an A/C compressor.

'99 R/T- MSIIextra fuel/spark/idle, ZCP mx422 supercharged, ZCP Tbrake 727, PPC 10" 3800, 4.10, (\/) Headers, 2.5" Duals, Truetrac, Boyd Timeless 6's, Hotchkis TVS.
    Z Code Performance Website

Excellent, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. I only want to run 5-8lbs anyway. I don't think my block could take much more.
    10.56@125.45 1.43 60 ft. all motor, all magnum, pump gas, full exhaust.

www.dakotart.com

Status

Default KB comparison

Chris,

When your new set up is all said and done...

How will it compare to the centrifugal S/C's on the top end of the RPM band?

We all know KB has a lot of grunt in the lower RPM range. Will your set up allow it to breathe and produce good power up top too?

Honest assessment... Worse, better, or as good as a centrifugal, on a lb. for lb. basis?

Ed Morris
    11.17 @ 120.91 mph
    Best 60': 1.54

DRTC # 578

Blown and Squirted

Status

Good centrifuguals are briefly more efficient than screws. But generally take more power to drive. Their boost curve pales in comparison. In a properly setup drag only car with a huge converter and very short operating range, the centri will be faster. For a street strip heavy vehicle, the screw is the way to go. Screws don't fall off up top, the boost carries all the way to redline. UNLESS you restrict the inlet like a certain dodge kit we are all aware of.

I'm not very familiar with what lower PSI centris will do on these heavy trucks. Most everyone throws more boost at them almost immediately, presumably because a low boost centri might only make 2-3psi at converter stall, (unless its a huge converter) and the user wants more, so it he pullies it up. The screw would be at full boost when the converter flashed.

So I guess to answer your question- lb of lb at a given operating point the centri will make more power. But both pullied for the same max boost, the screw will be making full boost the whole pass, and the centri will only hit max boost at three points.

We'll have some results here soon enough. Know of any stock longblock centri setups that would be a good comparison?
    Last edited by Five9Dak; 09-13-2012 at 03:40 AM.

'99 R/T- MSIIextra fuel/spark/idle, ZCP mx422 supercharged, ZCP Tbrake 727, PPC 10" 3800, 4.10, (\/) Headers, 2.5" Duals, Truetrac, Boyd Timeless 6's, Hotchkis TVS.

Blown and Squirted

Status

That was more or less a general answer.

My specific kit, placed on a stock motor, should compare VERY favorably to a centri.

Take a 6psi centri kit. You have say 6psi at 5k rpm and a stock converter. (or any other boost level for that matter) Generally going to leave pretty soft, and boost will come as the stock intake falls off, making for OK top end.

Now my setup will be a stock motor, 6psi all the time, and a very short runner bellmouth intake that will make much more up top than the beer barrel. Still a stock converter. Come out of the hole with full boost, and the motor won't mind that stock converter. It will still leave HARD. Get past 3k rpm and the intake manifold is not only outshining the beer barrel, you still have 6psi stuffing through it instead of say 3. Get to redline, you still have 6 psi on the highflow intake when the centri just reaches it's prime, stuffing 6psi into the restrictive beer barrel.

Now if you spend another 2-3k in supporting mods on the centri, it starts to compare with my kit already includes. CAI, TB, Intake, fuel rails. But you still dont have nearly the boost curve. You'll end up with a ton of gear and a huge converter, making the truck less streetable to keep the motor in its narrow powerband.
    Last edited by Five9Dak; 09-13-2012 at 03:54 AM.

www.dakotart.com

Status

Gotcha

What size TB is included in your kit?

Seeing as how your kit replaces the stock beer barrel and TB, and the characteristics of screw S/C's in general, it's a certainty that 60' times would be better with your KB set up than a similar pullied centri.

And since the full boost curve comes on lower in the RPM band and stays consistent up to the rev limit, the centri will only outshine at the top end of each gear.

So it seems to me that if everything else is equal, (i.e. boost, race weight, gearing, converter stall, fuel, tuning, etc.), the KB truck already has the advantage outta the hole. Leaving the stock longblock centri with little room to catch up at the top of each gear.

Because the stock longblock truck still has a BB manifold, IMO it won't catch it. I would go so far as to say that even with the M-1 on a SLB truck, it might have a tough time catching up.

Anyways, thanks for the info. Looking forward to real world test results.

Ed Morris
    11.17 @ 120.91 mph
    Best 60': 1.54

DRTC # 578

Blown and Squirted

Status

The most likely TB scenario is that production kits will INCLUDE at 2x67mm SRT-10 TRUCK aftermarket TB (BBK). You can optionally delete it to save money, and get a used 2x65mm SRT-10 TRUCK oem TB. I found mine for 125 bucks. The BBK unit is worth $375.

If you don't need kick down or cuirse, the SRT-10 viper TB might also work, but I haven't verified this. The core I am prototyping with is the truck model, so it has cruise and kickdown hookups.

There are monoblade options availible for this flange as well, if the 2x67 is not sufficient for the user's power goals. You can see in the pictures on my website and facebook how big the plenum minimum cross sectional area is. More than three times larger than the original kit. Should flow a bit more air.

The OEM piece is spherical bore for easy tip in, the BKK is straight bore. The OEM unit could easily be straight bored and ported, or used as a core for monoblade upgrade. (you need to transfer some of the guts from the OEM to the monoblade housing)
    Last edited by Five9Dak; 09-13-2012 at 10:50 PM.

Status

hey chris i got a truck that i could drop off for fitment when your ready lol i want one of these!!
    1999 solar fire reboot
    Gas-Beat-Repeat

Blown and Squirted

Status

What are the details on the truck?

Status

stock 360 with m1 1.7rr,52mm f&b and pph mids with sct tune, it needs the boost
    1999 solar fire reboot
    Gas-Beat-Repeat

Blown and Squirted

Status

Are you interested in a production quality kit, or being a beta tester?

Status

I can be a test dummy, it does have a t56 in it
    1999 solar fire reboot
    Gas-Beat-Repeat

Blown and Squirted

Status

Ok sounds good. I am looking for one manual and one automatic truck. Who is the tuner for the SCT? Do you have a local dyno shop? Will they work with your tuner?

Status

there is a tuner that is top notch and have done alot of mopars, and even some custom tuning for me and my buddy who has a magnum
    http://www.rdpmotorsport.com/
    1999 solar fire reboot
    Gas-Beat-Repeat

Status

Quote Originally Posted by nevr2fast01 View Post
    there is a tuner that is top notch and have done alot of mopars, and even some custom tuning for me and my buddy who has a magnum
    http://www.rdpmotorsport.com/
    PLEASE fill us in with a Lot more details because I have seen a lot of Shady Information on the Guy that owns that place over on Yellow Bullet.

Some of it the info was self incriminating from himself.

Guess he left a lot of Pissed off customers in Australia. He was also getting his Hemi Engines at one time from Arrington because he was having issues building them himself.

Far as tuning? Haven't heard anything bad in that area yet.
    Tha DakFink: 1999 Solar Yellow R/Three 468cui, W9-RP heads, Twin 76mm Turbos, Powerglide Trans. , Bob's Fab Shop 25.3 SFI Chassis for 10.5W racing .
    (Still in the Fab Shop)

Hot rodder rule of thumb....every $1 invested in head flow is roughly worth $3 in the short block

Status

Quote Originally Posted by dakfink View Post
    PLEASE fill us in with a Lot more details because I have seen a lot of Shady Information on the Guy that owns that place over on Yellow Bullet.

Some of it the info was self incriminating from himself.

Guess he left a lot of Pissed off customers in Australia. He was also getting his Hemi Engines at one time from Arrington because he was having issues building them himself.

Far as tuning? Haven't heard anything bad in that area yet.

nice haha i've just dealt with the dyno tuning, didnt know that! i got alot of other performance shops in the area i can use lol
    1999 solar fire reboot
    Gas-Beat-Repeat

Status

Do they still make a kb for the 5.9 and how much do they cost

Status

Or is there another kb that would fit

Blown and Squirted

Status

The kenne bell kit is discontinued. You can find them used. No one currently produces twin screw or roots supercharger kits for magnum motors. I will be producing a twin screw supercharger kit soon. You will have to source an mx422 compressor yourself, or buy one from me. The mx422 is what came in the original dodge truck 2.2L twin screw kits from kenne bell. Complete kits with other and larger superchargers will follow.

www.zcodeperformance.com

Wow I didn't even know I had a logon for this site.

I stumbled on this thread looking for a whipple charger kit for a magnum 5.2 (with NV3500). The question I had is would your kit be compatible with the wipple or other air bypass valve for better economy?

I'm not a hardcore racer just looking for some extra zip.

Thanks for any info.

Blown and Squirted

Status

The kit utilizes the same style bypass valve as the whipple kits. They come in the kenne bell that this kit uses to source the compressor, snout and baypass from. In the future I will provide complete kits with new whipple compressors, and they will also include bypass valves.

You cannot use a twin screw supercharger in a street application (edit) WITHOUT a bypass, the compressor will over heat.

The photographs on the website do not show the bypass, but the prototype is utilizing one. When the website gets updated, it will reflect this.
    Last edited by Five9Dak; 09-12-2013 at 01:51 AM.

nevermind
    Last edited by Middy; 09-12-2013 at 01:55 AM. Reason: problem solved
    Middy.

95 Neon ACR, 70 Dart Swinger 340,
    and a 66 Fury I with a Dakota hiding inside.

Blown and Squirted

Status

-You cannot use a twin screw supercharger in a street application with a bypass, the compressor will over heat.-

Should read

-You cannot use a twin screw supercharger in a street application WITHOUT a bypass, the compressor will over heat.-

Sorry about the confusion. I will edit the original. The kit is suitable for street use, and does utilize a standard whipple style bypass valve.

Cool, that's what I thought after I looked at it a few times. I like the look of this kit alot.
    Middy.

95 Neon ACR, 70 Dart Swinger 340,
    and a 66 Fury I with a Dakota hiding inside.

whats the status of this kit? pricing?
    99RT/RC black M1, headers, 4 link, fat tires. In for overhauling.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast