+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: MS3 Discussion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by KicknAsphlt View Post
    This is something I need to get installed on my truck before next year....have to smog every other year, and it barely failed/passed last year. (passed first run, but dickhead failed me on visual...ran back through 3 other times after that and they all failed except for the last time and he ran the old-school test and cheated it to get it to pass). Figure with this, I could tune it to pass and not have to worry about it...lol.
    Why did it barely pass?
    RYAN/TUNED

Got questions?!? Get the answers ->>> http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showth...estions-thread
    For fastest response please text or email at ryan@frptuning.com ,please no PM's!!!

Status

I thought Orlando's parallel installation took care of that -- makes the smog computer happy by talking to the PCM, but all the work is being done by the MS3...?
    I thought the parallel install allowed you to easily switch back to running the stock pcm and therefore pass emissions

Blown and Squirted

Status

My parallel installation currently does not pass plug in OBDII emissions testing.

I experimented to prove that the codes I get can be eliminated through the use of power resistors to spoof the injector's presence. I never bothered to permanently install any, as my truck is mileage exempt in PA.

It is certainly possible to pass plug in emissions with a parallel installation, but nobody is actually doing it.

'99 R/T- MSIIextra fuel/spark/idle, ZCP mx422 supercharged, ZCP Tbrake 727, PPC 10" 3800, 4.10, (\/) Headers, 2.5" Duals, Truetrac, Boyd Timeless 6's, Hotchkis TVS.
    Z Code Performance Website

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Five9Dak View Post
    My parallel installation currently does not pass plug in OBDII emissions testing.

I experimented to prove that the codes I get can be eliminated through the use of power resistors to spoof the injector's presence. I never bothered to permanently install any, as my truck is mileage exempt in PA.

It is certainly possible to pass plug in emissions with a parallel installation, but nobody is actually doing it.
    I was under the impression that if you do a parallel install that you splice into the patch harness. Then if you want to run solely off the factory pcm you unplug the patch harness and plug the factory untouched harness into the the pcm. And at that point you could pass emissions (no CELs).

Blown and Squirted

Status

That is another option, if you have a combination that can be run off a JTEC pcm and tune you have, or easily reconfigured so that it can be.

'99 R/T- MSIIextra fuel/spark/idle, ZCP mx422 supercharged, ZCP Tbrake 727, PPC 10" 3800, 4.10, (\/) Headers, 2.5" Duals, Truetrac, Boyd Timeless 6's, Hotchkis TVS.
    Z Code Performance Website

Status

Quote Originally Posted by FlyinRyan View Post
    Why did it barely pass?
    Partly because the state lowered it's hydrocarbon limit drastically between last year's smog and the one two years before. The truck passed just fine on the first pass last year, but dickhead failed me on visual for O2 sensors because his book was wrong. Turns out my gas cap was bad as well, apparently.

I went back the next day with my proof that his book was wrong, but it was about 20* cooler.....barely failed hydrocarbons. Took the truck around town, beat the shit out of it to heat it up, then went back...still failed. I ended up going back a third time, which was going to fail, but because it was the end of the day and the guy was probably sick of me, he pulled some shady shit to get me to pass (use the old-school sniffer, no rollers -- calibrated the sniffer with the truck idling, then shut the truck off when the test started).

The failure could've been any number of things, I never delved into it though...just happy I passed. Truck has 180k on the clock, and spintech cats....could be either of those, or neither. I just know I need to figure something out before my test rolls around again next year.
    - Justin

'00 BW CC R/T
    '91 Graphite Turbo Targa Supra

F-Quick Myspace Facebook

OG DRTC

Status

Partly because the state lowered it's hydrocarbon limit drastically between last year's smog and the one two years before. The truck passed just fine on the first pass last year, but dickhead failed me on visual for O2 sensors because his book was wrong. Turns out my gas cap was bad as well, apparently.

I went back the next day with my proof that his book was wrong, but it was about 20* cooler.....barely failed hydrocarbons. Took the truck around town, beat the shit out of it to heat it up, then went back...still failed. I ended up going back a third time, which was going to fail, but because it was the end of the day and the guy was probably sick of me, he pulled some shady shit to get me to pass (use the old-school sniffer, no rollers -- calibrated the sniffer with the truck idling, then shut the truck off when the test started).

The failure could've been any number of things, I never delved into it though...just happy I passed. Truck has 180k on the clock, and spintech cats....could be either of those, or neither. I just know I need to figure something out before my test rolls around again next year.
    Move a few miles east to Nebraska where there is no smog testing.

Status

I'm currently going through the same problem you are. Once I get my 02 to pass emissions, I'll then install a second wiring harness for MS3. I'll only keep Jtec for emissions purposes. My envisioned setup won't really be parallel. But hopefully it will serve it's purpose non the less.
    02 QuadCab 3.9 (5spd conversion in progress one day Powerdyne S/C and MS3 tuned)
    91 Excab 390 stroker, One day completed
    2011 Durango Tow pig
    63 Dart One day completed
    13 Challenger R/T

Status

What all was involved with running the parallel setup. I'm planning on starting this process next weekend. I've finally gotten to a place where the truck will pass emission. I'm hoping to go on the final test drive tonight, then emissions in the morning.
    02 QuadCab 3.9 (5spd conversion in progress one day Powerdyne S/C and MS3 tuned)
    2011 Durango Tow pig
    13 Challenger R/T

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 91DakBuilder View Post
    What all was involved with running the parallel setup. I'm planning on starting this process next weekend. I've finally gotten to a place where the truck will pass emission. I'm hoping to go on the final test drive tonight, then emissions in the morning.
    here
    99 R/T RC IB
    Megasquirt II
    53%
    The eternal realist, If you don't like what I have to say put me on your ignore list

Status

Thanks Skunk
    2011 Durango Tow pig
    13 Challenger R/T

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3