+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 125

Thread: In-tank fuel pump replacement?

  1. #1



    grapejuice1998's Avatar
    Send Lawyers Guns & Money

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    9,739

    Default In-tank fuel pump replacement?

    Which one did you use?

    Where did you get it? (price?)

    Is there anything I need to know, installation-wise?



    Thanks!!
    Alan Short
    D.R.T.C. #15


  2. #2


    Blown and Squirted

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SE PA
    Posts
    8,150

    Default

    You can get an srt-4 walbro 255 from modernperformance.com They are a source for legit (not chinese ripofff) walbro fuel pumps and are a well regarded retailer in that community. The kit will come with srt-4 parts you don't need, but the pump is the same as the one that used to be supplied in the now discontinued dakota PN.

    I put one in my SRT-4 from modern last week, no problems.

    '99 R/T- MSIIextra fuel/spark/idle, ZCP mx422 supercharged, ZCP Tbrake 727, PPC 10" 3800, 4.10, (\/) Headers, 2.5" Duals, Truetrac, Boyd Timeless 6's, Hotchkis TVS.
    Z Code Performance Website

  3. #3



    grapejuice1998's Avatar
    Send Lawyers Guns & Money

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    9,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Five9Dak View Post
    You can get an srt-4 walbro 255 from modernperformance.com They are a source for legit (not chinese ripofff) walbro fuel pumps and are a well regarded retailer in that community. The kit will come with srt-4 parts you don't need, but the pump is the same as the one that used to be supplied in the now discontinued dakota PN.

    I put one in my SRT-4 from modern last week, no problems.
    So it's a direct drop in replacement for the Dakota, minus the extra SRT parts?
    Alan Short
    D.R.T.C. #15


  4. #4

    Kingst3r's Avatar
    ---Under Construction---

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,742

    Default

    You have to take the whole basket apart and modify it. I just modified one from a mustang and put it in there, wish I got the srt-4 one. You have to trim the bottom of the basket and ditch the inlet. There is a write up on dak-dur.

    As for tips, when you are taking apart the inner sleeve from outter sleeve, just break the clips. I messed with it for hours before I decide to break them and it slide right out. It is such a tight fit you dont need the clips anyway. Good luck.
    Last edited by Kingst3r; 04-11-2012 at 03:13 AM.

    My R/T build (rebuild) thread

    http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...d.php?t=133167
    Quote Originally Posted by 70Cuda383 View Post
    It's an emissions thing. someone, somewhere said that the millions of gallons of gas that evaporate to the atmosphere every year was killing tree frogs on some south african isalnd or some shit, those endangered tree frogs can suck my left nut.

  5. #5


    Danno's Avatar
    DRTC #149

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    5,712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grapejuice1998 View Post
    Which one did you use?

    Where did you get it? (price?)

    Is there anything I need to know, installation-wise?



    Thanks!!
    Funny you bring this up.

    Are you looking for an upgrade? If yes then pass on what I will say, if no then my past weekends experience will be a guide for you....

    The SRT4 pump is far from a drop in. You do have to modify the middle piece of the basket to get it to fit correctly, along with the upper seal/gasket. The factory wiring does not work either, so you will need to try to get the original pins out of the upper connector so that you can use the supplied connector. The supplied wiring does not seem to stay on the pump itself very well, I could find no sort of "lock" to keep it in place.

    Did this on Ginns truck this past weekend in the driveway. After all of the modification and hassling with the pump/ring etc, the new pump did not work. Wont energize at all. 12v back to the top connector and everything.

    I am buying a OE replacement Delphi unit from RockAuto that is identical to the OE unit and goin that route on Ginns truck.

    FWIW

    Danno

    99 DA RC To Be Discovered AKA Smokey
    98 DA CC 11.59@118 AKA Barney

    [Duner] : I was afraid I was going to go too fast and scare myself. Lucky for me - the DA rose up to save me.

    [Kotta390] : Oh that's right! Well FML.....Looks like I am getting shafted because of my bore size

    [BlakDak71] : I don't run oil, I run a special blend consisting of Hellman's mayo and the tears of a pregnant mermaid

    [Kotta390] : My electric water pump puts out too much fuel at idle and is not a variable pump which makes it overheat in the summer at idle if I sit too long

    [KotaRT] : Ed, you can have cake, as long as I get something in return

  6. #6



    grapejuice1998's Avatar
    Send Lawyers Guns & Money

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    9,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Funny you bring this up.

    Are you looking for an upgrade? If yes then pass on what I will say, if no then my past weekends experience will be a guide for you....

    The SRT4 pump is far from a drop in. You do have to modify the middle piece of the basket to get it to fit correctly, along with the upper seal/gasket. The factory wiring does not work either, so you will need to try to get the original pins out of the upper connector so that you can use the supplied connector. The supplied wiring does not seem to stay on the pump itself very well, I could find no sort of "lock" to keep it in place.

    Did this on Ginns truck this past weekend in the driveway. After all of the modification and hassling with the pump/ring etc, the new pump did not work. Wont energize at all. 12v back to the top connector and everything.

    I am buying a OE replacement Delphi unit from RockAuto that is identical to the OE unit and goin that route on Ginns truck.

    FWIW

    Danno
    Ouch! Thanks for the heads up Danno.
    Alan Short
    D.R.T.C. #15


  7. #7


    OG DRTC

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bellevue, NE
    Posts
    6,856

    Default

    I bought one off Ebay for the '94 Dak I had for a while. Same as the ones for our truck. Wasn't the Walbro brand, but was another replacement pump. Came with everything needed to put it in. Didn't have to "modify" the basket any, just didn't re-use all the factory pieces. Worked great in that truck, but don't know if it would be good for a modified R/T.


  8. #8

    Duner's Avatar
    Turbo Dakota Junky

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    5,115

    Default

    Both of my trucks have the Holley Forced Induction (255lph) drop-in replacement pumps. The only modification from the "as shipped" setup is to swap polarity on the pump / at the connector.

    I bought them online from Summit.
    Duner
    4.7 Turbocharged CC in white - 12's
    5.9 Turbocharged RC in black - 10's

    1999 Dodge Dakota R/T RC Turbo: 10.51 @ 130.13 MPH

  9. #9

    Kingst3r's Avatar
    ---Under Construction---

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,742

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Duner View Post
    Both of my trucks have the Holley Forced Induction (255lph) drop-in replacement pumps. The only modification from the "as shipped" setup is to swap polarity on the pump / at the connector.

    I bought them online from Summit.
    I thought they stopped making them?

    My R/T build (rebuild) thread

    http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...d.php?t=133167
    Quote Originally Posted by 70Cuda383 View Post
    It's an emissions thing. someone, somewhere said that the millions of gallons of gas that evaporate to the atmosphere every year was killing tree frogs on some south african isalnd or some shit, those endangered tree frogs can suck my left nut.

  10. #10

    Duner's Avatar
    Turbo Dakota Junky

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    5,115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingst3r View Post
    I thought they stopped making them?
    They did?

    Mine are a few years old by now... so I haven't tried to buy them lately.
    Duner
    4.7 Turbocharged CC in white - 12's
    5.9 Turbocharged RC in black - 10's

    1999 Dodge Dakota R/T RC Turbo: 10.51 @ 130.13 MPH

  11. #11

    Kingst3r's Avatar
    ---Under Construction---

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,742

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Duner View Post
    They did?

    Mine are a few years old by now... so I haven't tried to buy them lately.
    Yeah I thought so. I hope mine doesnt bring me a lot of trouble like Danno's did. Another guy used my pump and it was suppose to be a plug and play...... Time for a fuel cell

    My R/T build (rebuild) thread

    http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...d.php?t=133167
    Quote Originally Posted by 70Cuda383 View Post
    It's an emissions thing. someone, somewhere said that the millions of gallons of gas that evaporate to the atmosphere every year was killing tree frogs on some south african isalnd or some shit, those endangered tree frogs can suck my left nut.

  12. #12
    99408kotar/t's Avatar
    Senior Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Crown Point, IN
    Posts
    2,164

    Default

    im about to tear into a new fuel pump as well. does just upgrading the pump help feed a healthier motor or is the only way to do that a full return system? does a walbro help out at all or is it no different than a stock replacement as far as how much fuel it will supply?
    410, 10.3 comp pistons, P&P Eddies, 254 cam, 30lb injectors, sct tuner, 3800 viper stall, 4:56 yukon gears, hotchkis tvs, m1 4brrl, 58mm f&b tb, 1.7 rr, electric fan, jm longtube headers, B&M hammer shifter, Cope Racing Trans, Viper Brakes, SRT8 Seats, nx wet kit(100 shot)
    best time 11.32 @ 118 1.59 60' on spray(old motor). 11.76@115 n/a(new motor)
    DD 07 SRT8 Charger 12.55@112

  13. #13

    KicknAsphlt's Avatar
    Senior Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Funny you bring this up.

    Are you looking for an upgrade? If yes then pass on what I will say, if no then my past weekends experience will be a guide for you....

    The SRT4 pump is far from a drop in. You do have to modify the middle piece of the basket to get it to fit correctly, along with the upper seal/gasket. The factory wiring does not work either, so you will need to try to get the original pins out of the upper connector so that you can use the supplied connector. The supplied wiring does not seem to stay on the pump itself very well, I could find no sort of "lock" to keep it in place.

    Did this on Ginns truck this past weekend in the driveway. After all of the modification and hassling with the pump/ring etc, the new pump did not work. Wont energize at all. 12v back to the top connector and everything.

    I am buying a OE replacement Delphi unit from RockAuto that is identical to the OE unit and goin that route on Ginns truck.

    FWIW

    Danno
    Holy crap dude, now I feel horrible! Not sure why that pump wouldn't work, it's been sitting brand new in the box the whole time...must've got a bum one I guess?
    - Justin


    '00 BW CC R/T
    '91 Graphite Turbo Targa Supra

    F-Quick Myspace Facebook

  14. #14


    Blown and Squirted

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SE PA
    Posts
    8,150

    Default

    Bryan and I put an srt-4 pump in his truck, no modifications to the basket. It is pretty standard to unpin the basket connector for a walbro install. I had to do it with the dakota kit on my truck back in the day as well.

    '99 R/T- MSIIextra fuel/spark/idle, ZCP mx422 supercharged, ZCP Tbrake 727, PPC 10" 3800, 4.10, (\/) Headers, 2.5" Duals, Truetrac, Boyd Timeless 6's, Hotchkis TVS.
    Z Code Performance Website

  15. #15


    Danno's Avatar
    DRTC #149

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    5,712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KicknAsphlt View Post
    Holy crap dude, now I feel horrible! Not sure why that pump wouldn't work, it's been sitting brand new in the box the whole time...must've got a bum one I guess?
    No worries Justin, no way you could have known When I buy a used "new" part like that, I am not going to hold the seller responsible. If I hadn't of been being a cheapass, I would just have gotten a "new" new one. No one to blame but myself. So no worries.

    Danno

    99 DA RC To Be Discovered AKA Smokey
    98 DA CC 11.59@118 AKA Barney

    [Duner] : I was afraid I was going to go too fast and scare myself. Lucky for me - the DA rose up to save me.

    [Kotta390] : Oh that's right! Well FML.....Looks like I am getting shafted because of my bore size

    [BlakDak71] : I don't run oil, I run a special blend consisting of Hellman's mayo and the tears of a pregnant mermaid

    [Kotta390] : My electric water pump puts out too much fuel at idle and is not a variable pump which makes it overheat in the summer at idle if I sit too long

    [KotaRT] : Ed, you can have cake, as long as I get something in return

  16. #16


    Danno's Avatar
    DRTC #149

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    5,712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grapejuice1998 View Post
    Ouch! Thanks for the heads up Danno.
    NP,

    Figured with us 98 guys things might be different from the 00+ trucks. I dont know that the internal connectors are or are not the same. So it MIGHt be a drop in in the newer trucks. But it sure as hell isnt in ours.

    Danno

    99 DA RC To Be Discovered AKA Smokey
    98 DA CC 11.59@118 AKA Barney

    [Duner] : I was afraid I was going to go too fast and scare myself. Lucky for me - the DA rose up to save me.

    [Kotta390] : Oh that's right! Well FML.....Looks like I am getting shafted because of my bore size

    [BlakDak71] : I don't run oil, I run a special blend consisting of Hellman's mayo and the tears of a pregnant mermaid

    [Kotta390] : My electric water pump puts out too much fuel at idle and is not a variable pump which makes it overheat in the summer at idle if I sit too long

    [KotaRT] : Ed, you can have cake, as long as I get something in return

  17. #17


    Blown and Squirted

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SE PA
    Posts
    8,150

    Default

    My truck is a 99 for reference. Bryan's is an 02 I think.

    '99 R/T- MSIIextra fuel/spark/idle, ZCP mx422 supercharged, ZCP Tbrake 727, PPC 10" 3800, 4.10, (\/) Headers, 2.5" Duals, Truetrac, Boyd Timeless 6's, Hotchkis TVS.
    Z Code Performance Website

  18. #18

    Duner's Avatar
    Turbo Dakota Junky

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    5,115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    NP,

    Figured with us 98 guys things might be different from the 00+ trucks. I dont know that the internal connectors are or are not the same. So it MIGHt be a drop in in the newer trucks. But it sure as hell isnt in ours.

    Danno
    Did you try reversing the polarity?
    Duner
    4.7 Turbocharged CC in white - 12's
    5.9 Turbocharged RC in black - 10's

    1999 Dodge Dakota R/T RC Turbo: 10.51 @ 130.13 MPH

  19. #19


    Danno's Avatar
    DRTC #149

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    5,712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Duner View Post
    Did you try reversing the polarity?

    No I didnt. Is that a common "need"? If so I can flip the outer wires and test it with just a couple of test leads and see if that cures it. I know you said you needed to do that with your Holley pumps. Just seems odd that it would be needed on these? Isnt + and - always the same? hahaha I am not an electrical guy at all ( SHUTUP JODY!!! :P )

    Danno

    99 DA RC To Be Discovered AKA Smokey
    98 DA CC 11.59@118 AKA Barney

    [Duner] : I was afraid I was going to go too fast and scare myself. Lucky for me - the DA rose up to save me.

    [Kotta390] : Oh that's right! Well FML.....Looks like I am getting shafted because of my bore size

    [BlakDak71] : I don't run oil, I run a special blend consisting of Hellman's mayo and the tears of a pregnant mermaid

    [Kotta390] : My electric water pump puts out too much fuel at idle and is not a variable pump which makes it overheat in the summer at idle if I sit too long

    [KotaRT] : Ed, you can have cake, as long as I get something in return

  20. #20


    OG DRTC

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bellevue, NE
    Posts
    6,856

    Default

    It wouldn't hurt to try it.


  21. #21


    98Dak408's Avatar
    Supporting Vendor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Detroit Area, Michigan
    Posts
    2,524

    Default

    These Aeromotive pumps are an option. Can't guarantee that they are a drop-in replacment though.

    http://stores.hi-potek.com/-strse-FU...Categories.bok
    I've spent most of my money on women, booze, and my truck. The rest of the money was wasted!

    Smartphones are a menace to society and are creating a zombie apocalypse!

    If you don't like me on the phone get off the road!




  22. #22



    grapejuice1998's Avatar
    Send Lawyers Guns & Money

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    9,739

    Default

    I have heard from a person that has an '01, who said the Holley pump wouldn't work with the factory coiled hose inside the basket. He also had to re-pin the wiring.
    I have a '98, so hopefully it would drop right in like Duners?

    Right now my bed is off at the paint shop, so this is an ideal time to replace it. I was going to anyway.
    Alan Short
    D.R.T.C. #15


  23. #23

    BryanRT360's Avatar
    Dirty Jerzey

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    south jersey
    Posts
    6,039

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grapejuice1998 View Post
    I have heard from a person that has an '01, who said the Holley pump wouldn't work with the factory coiled hose inside the basket. He also had to re-pin the wiring.
    I have a '98, so hopefully it would drop right in like Duners?

    Right now my bed is off at the paint shop, so this is an ideal time to replace it. I was going to anyway.
    You have to heat the end of the coiled hose to soften and form around the pump outlet.

    As far as re-pinning , that was the easiest part.
    2002 AB CC R/T (R.I.P)
    11.52@116.61 w/1.67 60'.

    2002 AB QC 4.7 4x4


    www.schroermasonry.com
    Facebook.com/SchroerMasonry

  24. #24


    OG DRTC

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bellevue, NE
    Posts
    6,856

    Default

    Why wouldn't you just replace the coiled hose to prevent any chance of not getting is sealed completely? The one I did in the '94 Dak came with a new hose to use.


  25. #25


    OG DRTC

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bellevue, NE
    Posts
    6,856

    Default

    This is the one I used in the '94. Hardest part was getting the stock assembly apart, and getting the oil hose removed.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Fuel-Pum...50d4ce&vxp=mtr


+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •