+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Measuring Driveshaft

Quote Originally Posted by JDreamR/T View Post
    True. A reputable driveshaft shop will need to calculate the diameter of the material depending on the overall length and the shaft rpm range. When I had mine custom made they needed to know my transmission gearing, rear axle ratio, and top speed of the truck to calculate the critical speed of the shaft. Hope that helps!
    What size?

Status

Calculate diameter and material density for what...500 HP?
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

I gots to have mo'par-ts!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Adobedude View Post
    Calculate diameter and material density for what...500 HP?
    At 500hp we are doubling the power the truck had from factory, so there may be calculations worth considering. Honestly a driveline shop will know off hand and its worth a quick consultation. IMO the OE shafts they put in these trucks are pretty stout to begin with, it's the yokes that are the weak links in the chain. I probably would've kept my stocker but trans swap...
    At any rate the aluminum shaft I had done is made from 5"dia. X 1/8" wall. It is also around 78" in length with the shorter tail on the TKO I'm running. I elected for 1350 spicer non-greasable joints, along with forged steel slip yoke and diff pinion yoke. For a regular cab you likely won't need that large of a diameter, 3.5"-4" sounds about right. Overall length is a big factor in determining material & size.
    1999 R/T CC Flame Red (what's left of the paint)
    //SHAKER// 408 Forged // TKO600 5spd // Spintech-Mids // HiPoTek 106 LOPEYCAM // FRP Tuned //

Status

I don't think I've heard of anyone roaching a stock drive shaft....Even well over 500HP.
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

I gots to have mo'par-ts!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Adobedude View Post
    I don't think I've heard of anyone roaching a stock drive shaft....Even well over 500HP.
    As stated I would've reused the stocker piece and saved some coin if I hadn't done the 5spd swap. Never heard of anyone ever having any issues either. IIRC I've only read somewhere about the cast pinion differential yokes grenading.
    1999 R/T CC Flame Red (what's left of the paint)
    //SHAKER// 408 Forged // TKO600 5spd // Spintech-Mids // HiPoTek 106 LOPEYCAM // FRP Tuned //

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2