+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Electric Fan

Default Electric Fan

So, I have looked through a bunch of electric fan threads on here and I am not finding what I am looking for.

What are people using for electric fans on 97-99 trucks without the stock electric fan? Please be specific.

Please post what you have used from another vehicle and or bought aftermarket and include a picture if possible.

Thank You

Status

Search for Black Magic 180 on here. That is the fan I am using in conjunction with a SPAL V3 fan controller, with no problems. Another option is the Grand Cherokee fan from the dealership. Member 'Robby D" can hook you up with one from his dealership.
    Andrew
    1999 IB RC R/T
    TKO600

Status

Can get pics tomorrow while im working on it, but im running an HHR fan. was about 55 dollars shipped from rockauto. Many people run the HHR fan with good results. You can pick up a fan controller for around $35 bucks. I just bought a relay and wired mine on a rocker switch
    -Ryan

98 Flame Red R/T - Heads, Cam, Gears, Stall, SCT, Hotchkis, Caltracs, Transgo
    For Sale: http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24582

13.33 @ 104mph

2004 Silver SRT-4 - Daily
    MSD Wires, Mopar BOV
    Totaled
    Pending Twin transplant

Quote Originally Posted by sunike32 View Post
    Search for Black Magic 180 on here. That is the fan I am using in conjunction with a SPAL V3 fan controller, with no problems. Another option is the Grand Cherokee fan from the dealership. Member 'Robby D" can hook you up with one from his dealership.
    Ok, do you know if there is any major difference in the 188, 185, 183 or any other number Flex-a-light offers?

Status

also interested, canadian 98, lots hot, lotsa cold... want to get some more engine bay room without over heating

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 360DakotaPwr View Post
    Ok, do you know if there is any major difference in the 188, 185, 183 or any other number Flex-a-light offers?
    You want the 180. If I remember correctly, the 185 is the same thing but the brackets are for a Mustang or something. The 180 is the one that comes with universal brackets.
    Andrew
    1999 IB RC R/T
    TKO600

You want the 180. If I remember correctly, the 185 is the same thing but the brackets are for a Mustang or something. The 180 is the one that comes with universal brackets.
    Based on the specs, a 180 will fit and cover the entire width of the radiator, but it will be about 5'' to short to cover the radiator from top to bottom. Does this affect anyone's cooling, since the stock fan shroud covers the entire radiator?

I would still like some install pics if anyone has any.

Status

Here are pictures from my install. Not sure if it'll ask for a password or not...

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...%20Controller/
    Andrew
    1999 IB RC R/T
    TKO600

Yep, wants a password.

Status

Try dakotart
    Andrew
    1999 IB RC R/T
    TKO600

Cool. Thank you.

Is there a reason you didn't use the fan controller that came with the Black Magic fan?

Here is mine. It is a 2k so I had to mount it differently, and remove the triangle brace. I use the PCM to control mine it has the turn on temp changed though.
    Last edited by jmaack727; 01-21-2012 at 04:40 PM.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by jmaack727 View Post
    Here is mine. It is a 2k so I had to mount it differently, and remove the triangle brace. I use the PCM to control mine it has the turn on temp changed though.
    You do know that brace serves a purpose right? Under hard excelleration through turns that have a change in elevation the chassis can flex in just the right way and can cause the hood to release.

Now I know it is a long shot but it has happened however the safty catch stopped the hood from flying up. This was many years ago, and I've never heard of it since but I'm just saying it's possible although very rare obviously and conditions for it need to be just right.

I dont drive mine hard in the twisties and the fan couldnt fit with it in there. I still have it and want to put it back in but I dont see how to due to the different radiator locations between 97-99s and 2k ups.
    Last edited by jmaack727; 01-21-2012 at 06:39 PM.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 360DakotaPwr View Post
    Is there a reason you didn't use the fan controller that came with the Black Magic fan?
    The SPAL fan controller is a really nice piece. It is programmable for turn on temp, high speed temp, A/C trigger, etc. so I opted to go with theirs right from the start. I sold the one that came with the fan on here to another member...
    Andrew
    1999 IB RC R/T
    TKO600

Anyone have a pic of a Grand Cherokee fan on a 97-99?

Black Pearl

Status

Here's one in my 98 R/T. I couldn't get it to cool down enough. I think it's because I wasn't using an adjustable controller. I was just using a fixed temp sensor to trip the fan.

If you haven't lived for something, you'll die for nothing.

Blown and Squirted

Status

It's because the fan is improperly shrouded IMO.

'99 R/T- MSIIextra fuel/spark/idle, ZCP mx422 supercharged, ZCP Tbrake 727, PPC 10" 3800, 4.10, (\/) Headers, 2.5" Duals, Truetrac, Boyd Timeless 6's, Hotchkis TVS.
    Z Code Performance Website

Black Pearl

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Five9Dak View Post
    It's because the fan is improperly shrouded IMO.
    That was my conclusion too.

I like free kittens

Status

Find a way to tighten up that shroud, and the cherokee fan will cool you down without a problem.

I have a cherokee fan in a home made aluminum "box" and it would keep my big block cool with the stock Dakota radiator.

And to answer the earlier question, no, the fan shroud dos not need to cover the entire radiator. infact, it might even work better if it doesn't! theory there being that the shroud and fan can actually block some airflow at highway speeds. my shroud was roughly 22x24 and leaves some of the radiator uncovered, and again, kept my big block cool, and it has no problem on the 360 I've got in my new truck.
    --Tom
    **Photobucket can suck my nut**

I'm a douchebag

Black Pearl

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 70Cuda383 View Post
    Find a way to tighten up that shroud, and the cherokee fan will cool you down without a problem.
    Thanks. On the drawing board as we speak.

Go to hipotek and buy the flex 180. I bought this and put a 180 degree thermostat in and quite frankly at highway speed the engine keeps cool. This kit comes with a controller to.

I put in the Flaxalite Black Magic 180 this weekend. It seems to be working fine. We shall see come August and 95 degrees in stop and go traffic, lol.

Let me bring this back to life. It was low 80's today where I am in Virginia. In stop in go traffic my truck was getting a little warm. What kind of temperatures is everyone seeing if you have a Black Magic 180 fan? Also what thermostat do you have?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast