+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hughes Top End Kit

Status

Default Hughes Top End Kit

I saw this kit on the hughes engines site and was wondering if anyone has tried it out?its pretty well what i was looking for in a top end rebuild for my current engine.but i would imagine id at least need an sct to run this set up.as of right now i have superchips.any thoughts?
    http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...d&partid=26112

2002 CC R/T
    14.11@95mph

Status

You will need SCT

Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !!

Status

that cam is kind of mild

Status

Wait and find the parts at a better price...Used.
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

Majestic Motorsports

Status

They will add a different cam into it for you, if you have the cash go for it if not shop around, I have a lot of their stuff on my truck but I recieved a military discount to help with the price.
    Sales Manager at Majestic Motorsports

712 rwhp, 650 rwtq 2009 Pontiac G8

Best Run in Dak: 10.89 @ 126.79
    DRTC Member #1092

Status

I was looking into the same kit I'm not worried about mpg just power I do drive it everyday but mpg is not a problem I would like to find the best combo heads,intake,cam,rocker set up I can find to get the most out of my stock bottom end is this the best set up for me any suggestion I'm also getting a sct and spintec long tubes

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Drobinson View Post
    I was looking into the same kit I'm not worried about mpg just power I do drive it everyday but mpg is not a problem I would like to find the best combo heads,intake,cam,rocker set up I can find to get the most out of my stock bottom end is this the best set up for me any suggestion I'm also getting a sct and spintec long tubes
    Best you can find might be up for sale soon....My current top end.

11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

Status

Well I'm ready to buy

Status

Search out the parts from other sources and then buy.
    Dave Hughes is nothing short of a thief. His stuff is way over priced and any so called work he might do the heads will be substandard at best. Best to stay away from that place. I tell you this from personal experience.
    Edelbrock Magnum heads, Harland-Sharp 1:6 RR, Jomar Performance Ultra-Lite Stud Girdle, SoutheastPerformance Sheet Metal Valve Covers, Custom Hyd Roller from Reed Cams, Mopar M-1 2 Brl Intake, Hughes Stage 1 TB, JBA SS Headers, Jacobs Electronics Pro Street Ignition System and Wires, MBRP 'Cuda Style Exhaust, Western Chassis 2" drop front and rear, Edelbrock IAS Shocks, Terry DeLong Pro-Glass Shaker Hood

Status

A lot of people have said that about him I bought a big gulp tb off him it comes in today I hope its ok, and I've been looking around at places like southeast performance but they give no prices I guess I'll call and the other place I've been looking is hipotec are these places I should b looking at or run from!!!!!

gen III traitor

Status

Stay far away from southeast!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BluRT00 View Post
    Part your red sport out and buy a gen 2. Problem solved.

I like free kittens

Status

Lots of horror stories about Hughes, but they seem to be limited to his actual machine work, i.e. if you have him work a set of heads for you. I've had good dealings with him, but I've only ordered parts from him, i.e. cams, valve springs, etc. stuff that he has built by someone else. I've never paid for any of his machine work.
    --Tom
    **Photobucket can suck my nut**

I'm a douchebag

Status

I guess my biggest question is cam size I'm thinking about the edelbrock 58 cc heads that I heared that's not 58cc and a m1 intake and 1.7 rr with spintec long tubes with sct

I like free kittens

Status

Roller rockers, I can understand, but I don't understand why everyone wants 1.7s. to me, 1.7s are a band-aid to a too small of a cam. 1.6 was the factory ratio. getting 1.7s are a way to cheaply and quickly make your cam act a little bigger, without doing a full cam swap.

when starting from scratch, I would prefer to pick a cam that's the size I wanted and stick to 1.6 ratio rockers.

but, you could just as well pick 1.7 ratio rockers and keep that in mind when picking your cam, so you don't end up too big.

Yes, the edlebrock 58cc heads are typically 62-63 cc, but that's negligible on performance.

a set of flat top pistons with valve reliefs at zero deck with a .039" fel-pro head gasket, and the edelbrock heads will give you around 10.7:1 compression. I believe it was around 10.5:1 on a factory thicknes head gasket.

more than enough compression either way.

the edelbrocks max out their flow at what? .500 lift? .600 lift? been awhile since I've seen a chart, but say it's .500 lift is the peak flow.

you want a cam that gets you to .500 as quickly as possible, and stays at or above .500 lift for as long as possible. i.e. a "square cam lobe" but...a square cam lobe will never work! so get one that's "close" to square. something that gets you up to around .550 lift and a duration of at least 220 @ .050" lift.

Actual cam specs will have to vary on the rest of your build. planned usage, planned RPM range, torque converter stall speed, rear gears, tire size, etc.
    --Tom

I'm a douchebag

Actually, as long as you keep good geometry, a higher ratio rocker is a better design.

For one thing, it gives you more "area under the curve" Even if the cam is cut so the max lift is the same, a 1.7 will reach .100 valve lift sooner than a 1.6, and so on for the entire range of lift up to max lift.

Second, a 1.7 rocker gives the spring more leverage against the pushrods and lifter, making it act like a stronger spring to fight valve float, without any additional stress on the valve, seat, or retainer.

And third, would you rather move the weight of the entire lifter, pushrods, rocker and valve? Or just move the valve more, and move everything else less?

The reciprocating weight of the valvetrain (and how much you move it), and the strength of the valvesprings, are the main limiting factors of rpm before valve float. Higher ratio rockers will reduce those effects to give you more useable rpm.

Drops panties faster than any R/T

I like free kittens

Status

Quote Originally Posted by wyotech_cuda440 View Post
    Actually, as long as you keep good geometry, a higher ratio rocker is a better design.

For one thing, it gives you more "area under the curve" Even if the cam is cut so the max lift is the same, a 1.7 will reach .100 valve lift sooner than a 1.6, and so on for the entire range of lift up to max lift.

Second, a 1.7 rocker gives the spring more leverage against the pushrods and lifter, making it act like a stronger spring to fight valve float, without any additional stress on the valve, seat, or retainer.

And third, would you rather move the weight of the entire lifter, pushrods, rocker and valve? Or just move the valve more, and move everything else less?

The reciprocating weight of the valvetrain (and how much you move it), and the strength of the valvesprings, are the main limiting factors of rpm before valve float. Higher ratio rockers will reduce those effects to give you more useable rpm.

as far as area under the curve, I was saying that with the right cam profile there's no difference in a 1.6 ratio or 1.7 ratio rocker, as you can alter ramp profiles to take that into account, but yes, on the same camshaft, a 1.7 gives you more area under the curve than a 1.6 does.

and on all other points, you're right, and it a lighter valve train, or moving the heavy parts of the valve train less, does make for a more stable valve control and thus, more useable RPM. hadn't thought about it that way before--I know about lighter valve train to make for stable valve control at higher RPM, the the extent of exotic lightweight metals on 9,000 rpm Nascrap motors, or 20,000 rpm F1 motors, but just hadn't thought about using more rocker ratio to get more lift with less movment of "heavy parts"
    --Tom

I'm a douchebag

want more inchs STROKE IT

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sick 660r View Post
    Stay far away from southeast!!!
    why stay away from south east???? he isnt a bad guy he did my heads!!!

Bad Luck Truck
    Current setup
    „R„block 429ci W5 heads 700hp N/A
    1/8 mile #'s 6.47@105 1.37 60’ 10.23@131

Old 1/4 numbers below with 408
    Fastest N/A 2010,2011,2014
    477-RWHP ?-RWTQ

11.244 ET @ 119.71mph N/A
    FOXHOLE RACING
    "If you like me good, if you hate me, even better!"
    Chris

gen III traitor

Status

He's a piece of shit and won't take responsibility for his fuck ups. He couldn't even balance Danny's assembly correctly. Ended up destroying the bearings on the dyno and blamed Chris saying there was too much timing. Last I heard danny was going to take him to court.
    Last edited by Sick 660r; 01-25-2012 at 12:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BluRT00 View Post
    Part your red sport out and buy a gen 2. Problem solved.

want more inchs STROKE IT

Status

Well he did my heads and did an excellent job so?????? Who knows??? And who is Danny?

Bad Luck Truck
    Current setup
    „R„block 429ci W5 heads 700hp N/A
    1/8 mile #'s 6.47@105 1.37 60’ 10.23@131

Old 1/4 numbers below with 408
    Fastest N/A 2010,2011,2014
    477-RWHP ?-RWTQ

11.244 ET @ 119.71mph N/A
    FOXHOLE RACING
    "If you like me good, if you hate me, even better!"
    Chris

Status

Idk to much about ethier hughes or southeast performance I only ordered one thing from Hughes it was a modded and ported tb called big gulp it looked like someone knew what they were doing, it came with everything I needed so far I'm happy, I wish I knew had to add a pic from my phone but I just joined this forum and I really have no clue sorry

Majestic Motorsports

Status

Quote Originally Posted by krs1r/t View Post
    Well he did my heads and did an excellent job so?????? Who knows??? And who is Danny?
    Danny Breach aka dakotapimpc
    Sales Manager at Majestic Motorsports

712 rwhp, 650 rwtq 2009 Pontiac G8

Best Run in Dak: 10.89 @ 126.79
    DRTC Member #1092

Send Lawyers Guns & Money

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Drobinson View Post
    I wish I knew had to add a pic from my phone but I just joined this forum and I really have no clue sorry
    Upload the pic here:
    http://tinypic.com/index.php

Copy/Paste the "IMG" link.
    Alan Short
    D.R.T.C. #15

I just ordered a cam from Hughes last week... took them 2 days to charge my card and another 3 days after that to even ship it. It's been over a week and still no parts yet.... least that chop will make up for it

.544/.544 222*/228* on 114lsa on 1.6 rockers <3
    89 Toyota mini truck - DD
    94 Dakota 318 5speed
    02 Camaro - Drag toy
    05 SRT-4 - Stone white ACR
    08 Yamaha R6 - Few mods still slow

built 408 in the works...

I like free kittens

Status

That's NEARLY a copy of the whiplash cam. Only difference is the LSA. mines a bit tighter, and will lope a little more.
    --Tom

I'm a douchebag

Remember me asking about yours? I'm gonna go ahead and install it into my 318 that's in the truck now for the time being. the smaller displacement will make it chop more because the 360ci swallows it up some
    89 Toyota mini truck - DD
    94 Dakota 318 5speed
    02 Camaro - Drag toy
    05 SRT-4 - Stone white ACR
    08 Yamaha R6 - Few mods still slow

built 408 in the works...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast