+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: locker vs posi

Needs more boost

Status

I went with a tru-trac on a recommendation from one of Randy's ring and pinion tech support guys and could not be happier! I know the concept sounds iffy but I've never had a problem laying 2 long solid black marks and it hooks hard and straight at the track! My stock lsd was always noisey and very unpredictable but this tru-trac has never been anything but smooth, I would definitely recommend a tru-trac to anyone that drives their truck on the street alot (everyone here?)
    --Justin
    ----------------------------------------
    '87 Ramcharger 360 swap and 35s

'06 300C SRT-8 Diablo 93 oct, 176 t-stat, no cats 12.3@113

'00 Dakota R/T Prev: 386whp/425tq 11.73@115.8 NOW: Under the knife

Blown and Squirted

Status

Justin- is it just me or does the truetrac feel like it finds center for you when the rear is stepping out? It always goes straight as an arrow and feels almost like it's self correcting.

'99 R/T- MSIIextra fuel/spark/idle, ZCP mx422 supercharged, ZCP Tbrake 727, PPC 10" 3800, 4.10, (\/) Headers, 2.5" Duals, Truetrac, Boyd Timeless 6's, Hotchkis TVS.
    Z Code Performance Website

Dirty Jerzey

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Five9Dak View Post
    Justin- is it just me or does the truetrac feel like it finds center for you when the rear is stepping out? It always goes straight as an arrow and feels almost like it's self correcting.
    Mine still get pretty silly, but I haven't drove it much since the swap.
    2002 AB CC R/T (R.I.P)
    11.52@116.61 w/1.67 60'.

2002 AB QC 4.7 4x4

www.schroermasonry.com
    Facebook.com/SchroerMasonry

OG DRTC

Status

No dis to Don, but my truck makes a little more power than his does and see's more "abuse" with drag racing on slicks than he does. If it was going to fail it would have done it long ago. I have over 100K miles on it and numerous runs down the drag strip without a single problem. And as I said, if the "tolerances" were that big of a problem, then I must have gotten two "good" truck by some huge stroke of luck.

Call Richmond and see what they say. If it was that big of a problem, then why do they still sell something they know is going to fail and cause them problems with warranty claims? I doubt you will get the response of them telling you not to buy it.

Buy it, and install it. Just make sure to follow the instructions very closely to ensure it is properly meshed with the correct spacing using the guage tool they provide and make sure it properly locks and unlocks when turning the axles by hand before you put the cover back on. With mine, when i initially installed it, it wasn't right even though I thought I had done everything correctly. I had to take it back apart, and re-install it to get it right. It's easy to have it slip just enough during install to not be properly lined up. Mine didn't grenade on me with the "first drop of the throttle", but then again, I didn't take it out and just hammer on it right off the bat either. I took it easy to make sure it was working properly. When installed properly it works awesome and will give you trouble free operation, and you will never have to worry about a one wheel spin ever again. Just be careful driving with it until you get used to it. If you are not going perfectly straight when you get on the gas it will tend to pull you in the direction the nose is facing, and you will have to correct with more steering input.

Blown and Squirted

Status

My time is worth more than the price difference. If you had to take it apart and put it back together- it's true cost is more than the eaton unit.

'99 R/T- MSIIextra fuel/spark/idle, ZCP mx422 supercharged, ZCP Tbrake 727, PPC 10" 3800, 4.10, (\/) Headers, 2.5" Duals, Truetrac, Boyd Timeless 6's, Hotchkis TVS.

OG DRTC

Status

My time is worth more than the price difference. If you had to take it apart and put it back together- it's true cost is more than the eaton unit.
    I don't get what you are saying? It takes less than an hour to take it out and put it back in(for me anyways). You will spend over twice as much of your precious time installing any of the other units once as it would to remove and install a Powertrax twice. And as far as functionality, it works just as good as any other unit out there. I work with a guy who has a Land Cruiser that he offorads and he has a Powertrax installed in it with zero problems. And this is a guy who does professional rock crawling, in custom built buggies, when he's not on deployment for the Navy. He has the resources to use anything he could want, and yet he has a Powertrax. Kind of says something for them IMO.

Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by hobiesun View Post
    Wow. That blows. I really appreciate the explanation of it all. Do you think the different power between the three trucks and cropps truck could have anything to do with it? No dis to Cropp, but some of you guys have some serious shit. Way beyond anything I have. I love my lil red truck, but it has a lot of $$$, time, and work to go yet.
    with my current engine, Brian and I are probably pretty close. I don't think that has anything to do with it though. The engine that I fragged the powertrax with was pretty mild. It's simple, it's a machining tolerance thing. But look at it this way. Cropp says it's great(for him), yet Richmond tech support says don't buy one for a dodge. Who do you suspect the real knowledge source is here ? Do what you want, but considering the hassle to put it in & the money involved, do you really want to chance it ? For less than $200 ?

Status

The most serious thing Don's truck does it get taken out of the garage to even have the opportunity to break a locker.
    hah, I wish I could put it in the garage

Status

Quote Originally Posted by PacManRT View Post
    I went with a tru-trac on a recommendation from one of Randy's ring and pinion tech support guys and could not be happier! I know the concept sounds iffy but I've never had a problem laying 2 long solid black marks and it hooks hard and straight at the track! My stock lsd was always noisey and very unpredictable but this tru-trac has never been anything but smooth, I would definitely recommend a tru-trac to anyone that drives their truck on the street alot (everyone here?)
    yet another fine alternative to the powertrax

Status

Quote Originally Posted by hskr View Post
    No dis to Don, but my truck makes a little more power than his does and see's more "abuse" with drag racing on slicks than he does. If it was going to fail it would have done it long ago. I have over 100K miles on it and numerous runs down the drag strip without a single problem. And as I said, if the "tolerances" were that big of a problem, then I must have gotten two "good" truck by some huge stroke of luck.

Call Richmond and see what they say. If it was that big of a problem, then why do they still sell something they know is going to fail and cause them problems with warranty claims? I doubt you will get the response of them telling you not to buy it.

Buy it, and install it. Just make sure to follow the instructions very closely to ensure it is properly meshed with the correct spacing using the guage tool they provide and make sure it properly locks and unlocks when turning the axles by hand before you put the cover back on. With mine, when i initially installed it, it wasn't right even though I thought I had done everything correctly. I had to take it back apart, and re-install it to get it right. It's easy to have it slip just enough during install to not be properly lined up. Mine didn't grenade on me with the "first drop of the throttle", but then again, I didn't take it out and just hammer on it right off the bat either. I took it easy to make sure it was working properly. When installed properly it works awesome and will give you trouble free operation, and you will never have to worry about a one wheel spin ever again. Just be careful driving with it until you get used to it. If you are not going perfectly straight when you get on the gas it will tend to pull you in the direction the nose is facing, and you will have to correct with more steering input.

mine passes all the install tolerance tests, guage and all. I doubt you're making that much more power, if at all. our builds are pretty similar.

Status

It's pretty simple actually. When the thing works, it's cool. But when it doesn't, the truck is practically undriveable. Ask Bryan or Friggin' R/T, they've both driven in my truck. When that thing doesn't lock(about 50%of the time), it's like driving on ice. One wheel spins wildly, no bueno. Jim Marshall and T-Roy got rid of theirs for the same exact reason. The reason I don't race or do more with my truck is because of that friggin' powertrax. I don't really feel like getting laughed at when my truck doesn't move off the line. So for now, it's just a cruiser. I hope to do the detroit and 4.10s this year.
    Last edited by Hugh Jassole; 01-30-2012 at 07:05 PM.

OG DRTC

Status

And mine works 100% of the time and has worked in two different trucks. Plus there are several others with Dakotas who have posted in the past saying they have not had any problems.

I guess it all boils down to who's side you want to listen to. I highly doubt a company like Richmond would continue to market a product that is supposedly known to be a common problem in a certain application, and who supposedly doesn't even recommend said product be used in the application it's designed for. But since I'm deployed in the middle of the ocean right now, I can't call them to find out.

Status

Brian why do you take such offense to Don's experience with the product?! Just let it go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yours works, great. Don's didn't. Let the OP decide what he wants!
    Andrew
    1999 IB RC R/T
    TKO600

Blown and Squirted

Status

I don't get what you are saying? It takes less than an hour to take it out and put it back in(for me anyways). You will spend over twice as much of your precious time installing any of the other units once as it would to remove and install a Powertrax twice. And as far as functionality, it works just as good as any other unit out there. I work with a guy who has a Land Cruiser that he offorads and he has a Powertrax installed in it with zero problems. And this is a guy who does professional rock crawling, in custom built buggies, when he's not on deployment for the Navy. He has the resources to use anything he could want, and yet he has a Powertrax. Kind of says something for them IMO.
    I can set up the backlash in an adjuster style rear end in about 30 minutes. I just put 4.56s in my brothers 8.25" yesterday. His front end needs a little help in the traction department, so we ordered him up a detroit truetrac. Those "lunchbox style" lockers get blown to smitherines offroad, we didn't even consider them.

I can put in a real diff faster than you can put in your powertrax twice. Don't forget time for the RTV to cure, buying oil twice, the associated down time. All of those things are worth money.

OG DRTC

Status

Quote Originally Posted by sunike32 View Post
    Brian why do you take such offense to Don's experience with the product?! Just let it go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yours works, great. Don's didn't. Let the OP decide what he wants!
    The same can be said as to why Don takes such offense to my positive reviews of the product. He argues his bad experience just as much as I do my positive experience.

OG DRTC

Status

I can set up the backlash in an adjuster style rear end in about 30 minutes. I just put 4.56s in my brothers 8.25" yesterday. His front end needs a little help in the traction department, so we ordered him up a detroit truetrac. Those "lunchbox style" lockers get blown to smitherines offroad, we didn't even consider them.

I can put in a real diff faster than you can put in your powertrax twice. Don't forget time for the RTV to cure, buying oil twice, the associated down time. All of those things are worth money.
    So you can remove the carrier, swap the main gear ring and pinion out, re-install everything and get the lash set up in less than a hour? Because if you can do it twice as fast as what it takes me, you'd have to be able to do it that fast. I'm talking start to finish time from wheels on the ground to wheels on the ground.

Only down time is the time it takes to remove/install. And the gear oil ain't that expensive. And he's not taking his R/T offroad.

Status

The same can be said as to why Don takes such offense to my positive reviews of the product. He argues his bad experience just as much as I do my positive experience.
    We'll agree to disagree then. Don's advice to the OP was to spend the extra $150 and get a Detroit because his experience with the Powertrax deemed it a POS. And then off you went with how wonderful it is.

I would much rather hear someones BAD review of a product compared to someone's GOOD review of the same product. Sure, if we are talking 500 good reviews compared to one bad review, that's different. But Don isn't the only one who had trouble with their Powertrax, and although I haven't read this entire thread, AFAIK you're the only one standing behind the product

Whatever though!
    Andrew
    1999 IB RC R/T
    TKO600

Status

Chris, fight the urge to argue with Brian! The Cropp winds are REALLY PICKING UP!!!
    Andrew
    1999 IB RC R/T
    TKO600

Turbo Dakota Junky

Status

The hysterical part is that we never read threads like this when comparing blondes to brunettes or redheads.

Well MY personal experience is...
    you get what you pay for.

And then you keep paying.
    Duner
    4.7 Turbocharged CC in white - 12's
    5.9 Turbocharged RC in black - 10's

1999 Dodge Dakota R/T RC Turbo: 10.51 @ 130.13 MPH

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Duner View Post
    The hysterical part is that we never read threads like this when comparing blondes to brunettes or redheads.

Well MY personal experience is...
    you get what you pay for.

And then you keep paying.
    HOW DARE YOU TALK BACK ABOUT THE POWERTRAX!!
    Andrew
    1999 IB RC R/T
    TKO600

Status

I just like to keep busting your balls, beause you're such a fucking know it all douche'. Some poor noob might actually think you know what you're talking about, and take your advice, then he'd be out the money if he had problems. Of course, your reply would be "it works for me, sorry for your luck." As far as your point about richmond selling a product that doesn't work, there's a lot of companies selling tb spacers too. There are also tons of well known companies that sell shorty headers, we all know the gains on those are marginal at best. So your point, as usual, holds no water.

Blown and Squirted

Status

So you can remove the carrier, swap the main gear ring and pinion out, re-install everything and get the lash set up in less than a hour? Because if you can do it twice as fast as what it takes me, you'd have to be able to do it that fast. I'm talking start to finish time from wheels on the ground to wheels on the ground.

Only down time is the time it takes to remove/install. And the gear oil ain't that expensive. And he's not taking his R/T offroad.
    I didn't say I could do it twice as fast as you could do yours once. I said I could do it faster than it takes for you to do yours TWICE. Which is how many times you had to do the powertrax. Since it didn't work right the first time.

Removing the carrier and Ring gear isn't a problem. Air tools make quick work of all that. Backlash takes a half hour if you've got some experience. If you don't have to touch the pinion, it is cake.

....With mine, when i initially installed it, it wasn't right even though I thought I had done everything correctly. I had to take it back apart, and re-install it to get it right. It's easy to have it slip just enough during install to not be properly lined up. Mine didn't grenade on me.....
    Last edited by Five9Dak; 01-30-2012 at 10:03 PM.

OG DRTC

Status

Well, I will continue to post about my positive experience with the Powertrax as I think it's a great piece and gave me no problems. Don is the only other person in this thread posting that has any personal experience with it and he posted his bad experience. So pretty much you can say it's a wash. One bad experience, one good experience. Doesn't make it the worlds greatest thing, but also doesn't make it a POS that nobody should use. Any other comments from the peanut gallery as to the quality of the Powertrax are just that, comments from the peanut gallery.

And if you are trying to have a race to see how fast you can install anything in the differential, then you should just hang up your gloves and stop. It's not something you want to rush through. So any comparisons as to how fast you can do something compared to someone else really don't matter. As each person is different. But for someone trying to work on a differential for the first time, the Powertrax is a much easier part to install than any other type of locker, or limited slip type device.

Blown and Squirted

Status

If it was so easy, why did you have to do yours twice? Mine worked the first time.

Status

Don's post alluded to two other failed Powertrax units. Make that three failures and one success.
    Andrew
    1999 IB RC R/T
    TKO600

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast