+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Any AutoX guys still out there?

Status

+1 on just going out and driving. It took me a year of races to really get good at reading cones.
    03 CC 4.7 NV3500

Blown and Squirted

Status

Ditto on not touching a single thing on the truck before you get a lot of seat time and see what class you want to end up in after mods. Once I got more into autocross, I bought a bone stock vehicle to start over with.

'99 R/T- MSIIextra fuel/spark/idle, ZCP mx422 supercharged, ZCP Tbrake 727, PPC 10" 3800, 4.10, (\/) Headers, 2.5" Duals, Truetrac, Boyd Timeless 6's, Hotchkis TVS.
    Z Code Performance Website

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Five9Dak View Post
    Ditto on not touching a single thing on the truck before you get a lot of seat time and see what class you want to end up in after mods. Once I got more into autocross, I bought a bone stock vehicle to start over with.
    Exactly. While many may find the Dak a fun vehicle to autocross, it may be better to use it to tow some purpose-built hooptie that's competitive in a faster class to the events. Just a thought.
    Gene Beaird,
    98 FR CC R/T
    Pearland, Texas

Trucks will never be top contenders in autox but they are very fun to drive with the right setup.

This was my first run on cold wore out tires, very fun.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/wuba70#p/u/3/T6sO1CtYye8
    03 Dakota RC 4.7, 212x, 68mm Fastman, 3" exhaust with no cats, Auburn LSD, Hotchkis, Bilstein's, Nitto's 275/50/17
    Oklahoma SCCA ESP#7 Best time 14.21
    00 Dakota RC 4.7, 70mm F&B, Mopar LSD, Hotchkis, QA1's on all four, 335/35/17 Kumho V710's
    Oklahoma SCCA ESP #73 Best time 14.47
    http://www.streetfire.net/video/a-fa...ck_2017029.htm

Please explain how you could fit such a monstrous tire.
    Wheel size/offset/make/model?
    Brakes?

Chicago"Blacksheep" 2001-

Status

Quote Originally Posted by autoXer47 View Post
    Trucks will never be top contenders in autox but they are very fun to drive with the right setup.

This was my first run on cold wore out tires, very fun.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/wuba70#p/u/3/T6sO1CtYye8
    that was a pretty high speed course. looked like a ton of fun for higher horsepower cars.

2006 Black Charger SRT8- Cam'ed and tons of suspenson/drivetrain mods for Autocross/Road racing
    2008 Caliber SRT4- Daily Driver
    2000 Black CC Dakota R/T & 1999 Black RC Dakota R/T- sold!
    autoX vids
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRGBII3NIFc / http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcDLPdlsxPg / http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKoTy-VEw2k

Status

I beat a WRX in the rain once. Go figure.
    03 CC 4.7 NV3500

Blown and Squirted

Status

70% driver, 20% tires 10% everything else. Last time out I beat an SM supercharged miata on R comps with a bone stock one on bald pepboys all seasons. It was my first time driving that car, and I didn't know how to drive stick- lol. Stalled in pits every single lap.

I would have loved to try autocrossing the TKO truck, the only part that sucked about mine was the autotragic and ending up in SM because of 1.6 roller rockers. (rollseyes)
    Last edited by Five9Dak; 06-21-2011 at 01:07 PM.

'99 R/T- MSIIextra fuel/spark/idle, ZCP mx422 supercharged, ZCP Tbrake 727, PPC 10" 3800, 4.10, (\/) Headers, 2.5" Duals, Truetrac, Boyd Timeless 6's, Hotchkis TVS.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Dave3240 View Post
    Please explain how you could fit such a monstrous tire.
    Wheel size/offset/make/model?
    Brakes?
    Unfortunately, I don't know the offset required, and I didn't query the guy who had them on his truck when I saw them, as we were running a GM F-bod in CP at the time. I'm pretty sure he either is, or used to be on this list. He was an SCCA autocrosser in the San Francisco area, IIRC. I DO remember the other ESP competitors cursing him because of the massive tire he had under the truck, and the fact that it was quick too.
    Gene Beaird,
    98 FR CC R/T
    Pearland, Texas

Status

<SNIP>

I would have loved to try autocrossing the TKO truck, the only part that sucked about mine was the autotragic and ending up in SM because of 1.6 roller rockers. (rollseyes)
    Exactly! While I knew the issue we'd face with our Dak with shorty headers, others are quite surprised that their single 'little' mod that they really like puts them in a group of competitors that are 4 seconds faster than they are because of all the other mods they've done to theirs. I like the way the headers look, so I don't care if we run it in ESP. It's not our normal autocross ride anyway.
    Gene Beaird,
    98 FR CC R/T
    Pearland, Texas

Status

I'll have to set up an actual autox meet and charge for rides. hah
    03 CC 4.7 NV3500

Here's the latest video from over the weekend in OKC
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMODs5r9Y-c
    03 Dakota RC 4.7, 212x, 68mm Fastman, 3" exhaust with no cats, Auburn LSD, Hotchkis, Bilstein's, Nitto's 275/50/17
    00 Dakota RC 4.7, 70mm F&B, Mopar LSD, Hotchkis, QA1's on all four, 335/35/17 Kumho V710's

I like free kittens

Status

I haven't made it to any yet, but there's a local club here in Columbus that meets regularly through the summer. ever since I got the regular cab I started thinking "auto cross!!!"

plus, since it's a small block, it just does not pin me back in the seat the way that big block stroker did...so taking it to the 1/4 mile would just be a waste of time.

but handling...this truck is 400 lbs lighter than the big block truck was, and has a shorter wheel base, and has a better front/rear weight ratio....

yea, I gotta get out to an auto cross event!

bazinga!

Status

i would love to try this someday, but i would probably get lost with all those pylons all over the place.....
    Dreamer, nothing but a dreamer

Blown and Squirted

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 70Cuda383 View Post
    I haven't made it to any yet, but there's a local club here in Columbus that meets regularly through the summer. ever since I got the regular cab I started thinking "auto cross!!!"

plus, since it's a small block, it just does not pin me back in the seat the way that big block stroker did...so taking it to the 1/4 mile would just be a waste of time.

but handling...this truck is 400 lbs lighter than the big block truck was, and has a shorter wheel base, and has a better front/rear weight ratio....

yea, I gotta get out to an auto cross event!
    You might want to contact them to talk to their tech inspectors before you make a trip out. Most SCCA regions will not let trucks run unless they are lowered a good bit.

Status

You might want to contact them to talk to their tech inspectors before you make a trip out. Most SCCA regions will not let trucks run unless they are lowered a good bit.
    Actually, that's usually only a problem if the vehicle has been lifted any. While our Region will consult with the Safety Steward in any such issues arise, a fast and dirty rule we follow is if it has a roll over warning posted on the dash or visors, it probably won't get to run.

There's NO problem with a Dak, unless it's been lifted. Heck, we've even had Ram SRT/10s run at our events. They're big, heavy and under-tired, but they do still get around the course.
    Gene Beaird,
    98 FR CC R/T
    Pearland, Texas

Status

I always got asked what I trailered to the race when I told them I brought the truck.
    03 CC 4.7 NV3500

Blown and Squirted

Status

I guess I just had a bad experience in Philly. I had to argue with them for a good ten minutes, and I had hotchkis 2/3 drop. I regularly autocrossed in a different county and it wasn't an issue.

I like free kittens

Status

The local clubs website said anything can run except lifted trucks and SUVs. I don't anticipate any problems with my hotchkis dropped Dakota. Guess I'll find out whenever I finally make it out to an event.

They also can go by the vehicle can be no taller then its width.

I like free kittens

Status

That would actually make sense. Now, I'm curious! I'll have to measure my Dakota. Is the width the width of the wheelbase? Or the body? If it's wheelbase, do they measure center to center of tire tread, or outside to outside

Quote Originally Posted by 70Cuda383 View Post
    That would actually make sense. Now, I'm curious! I'll have to measure my Dakota. Is the width the width of the wheelbase? Or the body? If it's wheelbase, do they measure center to center of tire tread, or outside to outside
    Outside of tires.

This is my kind of thread. I've always enjoyed carving up the road better than straight line stuff. I went down to the 2006 DRTC Nationals in Atlanta for the day at Atlanta Motor Speedway, which featured autocross and laps around the track. I also entered the 2007 St. Louis meet, but the road course was cancelled, drag races were held.
    Here in East Tennessee, we've had a couple of Dakota GTGs at The Dragon, (US129 @TN/NC line) the famous/infamous motorcycle/sportscar road with 318 curves in 11 miles. You can enjoy the road without driving aggressive. www.tailofthedragon.com www.killboy.com
    BTW, a '97-'04 Dak RC has a 36-foot turning radius, which is 4 inches tighter than a '01-'05 Honda Civic. They have the potential to surprise a lot of people, if you know what you're doing.
    Last edited by 01Motorsport; 08-10-2011 at 08:14 PM.

Blown and Squirted

Status

It is two miles tighter than an SRT4, lol.

Status

While I haven't actually taken a measuring tape to things, I think that rule would send a bunch of the sh1tboxes home that are common features in the slower stock and ST classes. The Honduh Fit and Toyo Yaris come immediately to mind. Again, I have not taken any measurements to verify.

Online info shows height of 60" and width of 66", but I'm thinking that is overall width, which would include the mirrors. I'm just sayin', not that it matters to a Dak driver.
    Gene Beaird,
    98 FR CC R/T
    Pearland, Texas

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast