+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Prototype PCV System with Baffled Canister

Supporting Vendor

Status

Default Prototype PCV System with Baffled Canister

I’ve been working on a setup that will be a properly operating PCV system without sucking oil into the intake manifold, especially with the low vacuum signal produced by a performance camshaft, with greater overlap and a lower LSA. It is intended to utilize a PCV valve that is calibrated for a lower vacuum signal, and close enough at idle to prevent excessive amounts of oil from being drawn into the intake.

I tried using only valve cover breathers, and the problem is that the blow-by fumes and oil ends up being pushed out into the engine compartment, especially under WOT of a performance engine. I am also trying to avoid using an oil separator that requires periodic draining.

This is what I have come up with to test on my truck. The prototype canister is something I machined out of scrap aluminum and welded together. It is a system of baffles where the oil is to coalesce and passively drain back into the engine before it gets drawn into the intake manifold.

It looks kind of funny with such small air cleaners but I’ll get around to a more substantial air cleaner in the future. For now, I just want to see how this works out. The system consists of the following: The prototype PCV baffled canister, a PCV valve for an older muscle car with a racy camshaft that operates at a lower vacuum signal, and a filtered breather on the driver’s side going to the air cleaner to handle the excess blow-by gases at WOT, when the PCV valve alone can’t keep up with the volume.

Last edited by 98Dak408; 04-05-2011 at 01:48 AM.

WhiteTrash&LiLOrangeFuror

Status

Are you thinking that a larger canister would be better suited for higher volumes? If so, maybe a stand alone unit that could mount over on the fender.
    Fu·ror noun \ˈfyu̇r-ˌȯr, -ər\ : an angry or maniacal fit

Status

I like it. How does that rubber grommet stay in place on the canister?
    My step mother legitimately thought you could raise boneless chickens.

edit: she once to her taxes to a taxidermy shop...my hand to god, this woman is a moron

Supporting Vendor

Status

Are you thinking that a larger canister would be better suited for higher volumes? If so, maybe a stand alone unit that could mount over on the fender.
    The main intent of the canister is to coalesce vaporized oil so it flows back into the valve cover before it gets sucked into the engine. A larger canister as you mentioned would be good I think as long as it is higher than the valve cover so the coalesced oil can drain back into the engine. I'm trying to see if I can get away with smaller but may find larger is necessary.
    Last edited by 98Dak408; 04-05-2011 at 02:07 AM.

Supporting Vendor

Status

I like it. How does that rubber grommet stay in place on the canister?
    I machined a relief in the canister according to the dimension of the grommet to hold firmly in place.

Status

Subscribed

DRTC Member #1128

Status

Fender mount possible?
    01 Atlantic Blue CC RT-Hughes Iron Ram heads w/ 2.02 valves & light port, Comp Cam, M1, headers, Accel, FireCore, NGK, Flowmaster, 20" R/T reps, Belltech, Street Scene, tinted tails, clear headlights & corners, tint, 30k's in fogs, Kicker L7, Alpine Type S comp. kit, Alpine headunit, Alpine amp, Boston amp, Streetwires.

Supporting Vendor

Status

Fender mount possible?
    Sure. The farther away it is from the valve cover, the greater the opportunity for the oil and oil vapor to drop out and flow back to the valve cover. I will test the current set up first since it is a little simpler than a remote canister. It may be all that is necessary.

DRTC Member #1128

Status

Ok cool definently interested.
    01 Atlantic Blue CC RT-Hughes Iron Ram heads w/ 2.02 valves & light port, Comp Cam, M1, headers, Accel, FireCore, NGK, Flowmaster, 20" R/T reps, Belltech, Street Scene, tinted tails, clear headlights & corners, tint, 30k's in fogs, Kicker L7, Alpine Type S comp. kit, Alpine headunit, Alpine amp, Boston amp, Streetwires.

OG DRTC

Status

How exactly does the oil flow back into the valve cover? Through the PCV valve? And wouldn't that cause the PCV valve to not function properly once the canister gets filled above the level of the PCV?

OG DRTC

Status

WTH? My post disappeared. Either way, I was going to edit it because after looking at pics again i see the PCV valve is on top of the canister.

Supporting Vendor

Status

How exactly does the oil flow back into the valve cover? Through the PCV valve? And wouldn't that cause the PCV valve to not function properly once the canister gets filled above the level of the PCV?
    WTH? My post disappeared. Either way, I was going to edit it because after looking at pics again i see the PCV valve is on top of the canister.
    Correct.

I like it....
    - Justin

Status

any updates
    410, 10.3 comp pistons, P&P Eddies, 254 cam, 30lb injectors, sct tuner, 3800 viper stall, 4:56 yukon gears, hotchkis tvs, m1 4brrl, 58mm f&b tb, 1.7 rr, electric fan, jm longtube headers, B&M hammer shifter, Cope Racing Trans, Viper Brakes, SRT8 Seats, nx wet kit(100 shot)
    best time 11.32 @ 118 1.59 60' on spray(old motor). 11.76@115 n/a(new motor)
    DD 07 SRT8 Charger 12.55@112

Supporting Vendor

Status

any updates
    This closed PCV system has been working very well, and as my daily driver, it’s seen constant use since installation. I no longer have oil pushing out of the valve cover gaskets and grommets, like I did when I was running two breathers, one on each valve cover. It is handling the blow-by from continual WOT pulls. The PCV canister is not collecting oil, and I don’t have oil accumulating in the intake manifold. The system has substantially reduced oil vapor from passing through. It works very well with the filtered breather that feeds into the air cleaner. So far I am very happy with it.

Last edited by 98Dak408; 06-02-2011 at 02:41 PM.

Accumulating parts...

Status

So will you be making/selling those as a kit?
    12.10@106@Famoso Raceway

Supporting Vendor

Status

So will you be making/selling those as a kit?
    Yes I plan on it. Just wanted to see how well it works and give some details a little more thought.

Status

That looks very well thought out - I have a BilletTech catchcan on the Magnum that fills about halfway per oil change, and is a bit of a pain to empty.

I'd wondered if an auto drain feature was possible or desirable and it looks like it is!

Mike
    2003 Graphite Grey RC R/T - lower, but all stock
    2005 Brilliant Black Metallic Pearlcoat Magnum RT - slightly mod'd, 13.302 at 106.15
    All my pictures live here.

Supporting Vendor

Status

That looks very well thought out - I have a BilletTech catchcan on the Magnum that fills about halfway per oil change, and is a bit of a pain to empty.

I'd wondered if an auto drain feature was possible or desirable and it looks like it is!

Mike
    Hey Mike...yes this drains automatically back into the engine. I am lazy and don't want to be bothered draining a catch can, wipe up what might spill...if I even remember to drain it in the first place.
    Last edited by 98Dak408; 06-03-2011 at 06:18 PM.

Status

When are you gonna start selling these Richard?

Supporting Vendor

Status

When are you gonna start selling these Richard?
    It's been on the back-burner due to other priorities. I'll try to renew my efforts during the next week or two.

Supporting Vendor

Status

Richard, are these available yet? Looking into a catch can system.
    Sorry, but not yet. I picked up some aluminum yesterday and hope to do some work on it this weekend to see if I can reduce the time it takes to machine it.

Status

Ready yet?

Status
    Blog Entries

id be interested also

Red trucks are faster

Status

I looked around and did not see this available yet. I'm very interested in this for my daily driver....bump for another awesome idea. I want it.....
    Your problem isn't the problem. Your reaction is the problem.

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=14597&dateline=143749  2005

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast