+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shifting problems

Default Shifting problems

Hey guys long time no see lol, but ive ran into a transmission related problem now.to start in the cab the shifter goes all the way to park and all the way first,but on the electronic end it's not going to park but will go all the to first and actually be in 1,2,D,R ...then it won't do anything going to park,.....now the the tranny end...it feels like it's hanging up between gears ,it starts off in second again,(stealership changed gov spring and pressure solinoid 2years ago) now it slips when you slam the pedal and it downshifts 1st gear now you have to let off the to shift now then it goes through the gears fine and drives fine just until you punch it then it just winds up lol,...sorry for the story but it's getting annoying now

really not one person?

Quote Originally Posted by ThundeR/T View Post
    really not one person?
    I don't understand most of your post; what is " electronic end" ???
    Having to let off to get it to shift is either going to be a TV cable adjustment or a probable band going in the trans. Did it trip a check engine lite? Do you still have Park function?

99 BK RC R/T
    99 SY RC R/T
    98 IB RC R/T

sorry..the park function works, the shifter position in park shows it in reverse on the dash and the reverse lights are on.. i cannot start the truck i have to put it in neutral, it all started randomly

sorry..the park function works, the shifter position in park shows it in reverse on the dash and the reverse lights are on.. i cannot start the truck i have to put it in neutral, it all started randomly
    Sounds like you just need to adjust the shift cable. There is a "lock" clip on the cable under the power brake booster; release that, go under & pop the cable end off the shift arm; move the arm rearward all the way ( park position) & be sure the shifter is in the park position on the steering column. Reattach ( pulling the cable, don't move the arm! ) the cable on the trans, check the starting in park & neutral, if good re lock the clip on the cable.
    Hopefully this cures your issues....

99 BK RC R/T
    99 SY RC R/T
    98 IB RC R/T

ill give that a shot tonite hopefully it works,this just happend and i drove it to work fine then go to lunch and this happens lol

Did not work. The arm all the way back shows it in reverse on the dash so i assume now it's transmission related,my driveway is on an incline so when I put it in park(turned off) it rolls and it jerks and grinds like the park mechanism is half engaging?

Did not work. The arm all the way back shows it in reverse on the dash so i assume now it's transmission related,my driveway is on an incline so when I put it in park(turned off) it rolls and it jerks and grinds like the park mechanism is half engaging?
    Is the trans shifting normal other than this park issue? Sometimes when the front band wears out the adjusting anchor can fall into the valve body & block the park rod from engaging.... I'm out of ideas....

99 BK RC R/T
    99 SY RC R/T
    98 IB RC R/T

The trans will act fine once out of 1st but you have to bring the truck to like 3k then let off the gas and it will shift then be fine in other gears,but if you mash on the gas it just winds up.. Like it's losing pressure? I've had a lot of slipping issues lately and I changed the fluid so I'm not sure if it was a bad idea or not I heard bad things from changing fluid. And the trans has 142,000 original miles on it lol

The trans will act fine once out of 1st but you have to bring the truck to like 3k then let off the gas and it will shift then be fine in other gears,but if you mash on the gas it just winds up.. Like it's losing pressure? I've had a lot of slipping issues lately and I changed the fluid so I'm not sure if it was a bad idea or not I heard bad things from changing fluid. And the trans has 142,000 original miles on it lol
    Yes, its done! Changing the fluid isn't going to help ( or hurt ) a worn out trans.
    This is EXACTLY what happened on my Black truck; your going to have to get it rebuilt sorry to say....

99 BK RC R/T
    99 SY RC R/T
    98 IB RC R/T

Blown and Squirted

Status

142k is excellent life from a 46re in an R/T. It lived a long life, time to breathe a new one into it.

'99 R/T- MSIIextra fuel/spark/idle, ZCP mx422 supercharged, ZCP Tbrake 727, PPC 10" 3800, 4.10, (\/) Headers, 2.5" Duals, Truetrac, Boyd Timeless 6's, Hotchkis TVS.
    Z Code Performance Website

I'm happy it didn't cost me money till now lol, I'd really like to make this truck into a weekend drift truck,why is because you don't really see a truck setup as well as a Japanese drift car,but It would be outrageous and one off,I'm all about control and sliding around,lol going in straight lines just doesn't get me off lol

Blown and Squirted

Status

Then you probably want to swap to a manual.

'99 R/T- MSIIextra fuel/spark/idle, ZCP mx422 supercharged, ZCP Tbrake 727, PPC 10" 3800, 4.10, (\/) Headers, 2.5" Duals, Truetrac, Boyd Timeless 6's, Hotchkis TVS.
    Z Code Performance Website

Got Beer?

Status

What year truck?
    2003 Dakota R/T
    Hibernation
    Previous Best
    10.77@124

*Disclaimer - All suggestions given for performance modifications is assuming that you live close or at Sea Level

2002 im a fabricator at work so alot is gunna be one off,i can hardly wait.should i gut the truck or leave everything in,its strictly track now ,ive never had a track vehicle and these trucks would make an awesome slide machine

Got Beer?

Status

I have a built trans that I am not going to use. I am selling it for 1200.
    2003 Dakota R/T
    Hibernation
    Previous Best
    10.77@124

*Disclaimer - All suggestions given for performance modifications is assuming that you live close or at Sea Level

thanks but i like to bang gears...plus if im drifting i need a manual

Got Beer?

Status

thanks but i like to bang gears...plus if im drifting i need a manual
    Cool, no problem. Good Luck
    2003 Dakota R/T
    Hibernation
    Previous Best
    10.77@124

lol thanks, it will be....fun

Supporting Vendor

Status

Good luck with the manual swap.
    In the mean time, it sounds like your strut has fallen off as already posted. Having to bring the r's up to 3K and lift off the throttle is allowing the trans to shift from first (through second since it can't engage with no strut) into third gear.
    The anchor is probably jamming the rooster comb (manual lever) preventing it from going all the way into Park.

+ Reply to Thread