+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rat Rod Project

SilveradoSS.com

Status

Default Rat Rod Project

After a few requests for pictures of my rat rod project I figured I would post em up

Its a 1941 Dodge truck cab and front fenders, 48 Chevy bed, 49 Ford rear fenders, all sitting on a 97 S-10 frame, 355 chevy motor, TH350 trans, S-10 suspension and driveline, power brakes. Steering wheel and column are out of the S-10 donor, seats are rear leather seats out of a 97 Mustang integrated into the original 41 seat frame. Air cleaner lid is a cooking pot lid, coolant overflow is a WWII water canteen. The metal and structure on this truck is OUTSTANDING. Everything is completely solid and only surface rust/fade.

Things that still need done:
    I have a temporary radiator in the factory location. The problem with that is with the bigger engine there is no room for a cooling fan. I did this just to get the truck running to make sure everything on the driveline jived. So I still need to modify the factory mounting to relocate the radiator to accomodate a cooling fan.

The truck is still rockin the factory 6V electrical system. I need to convert to 12V. A complete PAINLESS harness should take care of this

Exhaust fabbed. Only running on open manifolds lol

Try to get the factory gauges working

The bed floor needs installed. I planned to take old wood from a wrecked barn to complete this.

I plan to cover the floor in the cab with old lisence plates.

Possible floor shifter

Obviously there will be more but thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

As you can see, it still had the original 41 owners manual. In the door jambs on the drivers side there are service stickers dated from the 60's. Only draw back is it does not have a title. The ol boy I bought it from he dad is the orginal owner and he has passed. The title was in a house fire and sat since that time. I dont plan to start back on this project untill summer/fall as I have a deadline im trying to reach for the winter mods im doing to my SS.
    Last edited by 2BFAST; 12-17-2010 at 01:32 PM.
    2005 Silverado SS - Garage Whore
    2003 Dakota R/T - Daily D

1969 Camaro Z/28 - 468cid Beast

That is sweet!

I think that is as awesome as a colorblind person trying to figure out a rubik's cube.

Cool truck dood!
    -AJ.

SY '99 R/T.

13 Second Club

Status

Pretty cool. I want to do a rat rod myself one day.
    Would look awesome if the top was chopped a bit.
    2002 Dakota R/T CC
    13.75@99.42MPH
    1.7 RR, 160° T-Stat, 4.56 Gears, 52mm TB, Caltracs, Hotchkis TVS, K&N FIPK, M&H Drag Radial, M1 Intake, QA1's Shocks, SCT Tuner, Spintech Mid-Lenght Headers, Spintech True Dual Exhaust, Street Edge Converter, TransGo Shift Kit

Status

Dude, that truck is AWESOME

Status

Thats sick man, not a fan of all the chevy and ford parts though.

SilveradoSS.com

Status

Quote Originally Posted by DjWolf37 View Post
    Thats sick man, not a fan of all the chevy and ford parts though.
    I can see that for a true Mopar fan, but when it comes to rat rodding fitment is key. An S-10 frame is one of the easiest frames to swap too. Putting in a v8 either modern or old school is as simple as motor mounts in one. Ford fenders were used due to their unique shape. Again rat rods arent about brands, its the lines and creativity
    2005 Silverado SS - Garage Whore
    2003 Dakota R/T - Daily D

1969 Camaro Z/28 - 468cid Beast

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 2BFAST View Post
    I can see that for a true Mopar fan, but when it comes to rat rodding fitment is key. An S-10 frame is one of the easiest frames to swap too. Putting in a v8 either modern or old school is as simple as motor mounts in one. Ford fenders were used due to their unique shape. Again rat rods arent about brands, its the lines and creativity
    Don't get me wrong, I like the way it looks. I have a buddy that is really into rat rods, he has built a few of them and let me help on some of them. I used to be into the rat rod thing, but i prefer pure Mopar. I just think it would make it that much better being just Mopar. To each there own, i guess.

+ Reply to Thread