+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The SCT Thread

R/Tless...for now

Status

Quote Originally Posted by hemifever View Post
    Hey everybody. I was asked to stop in and answer some SCT questions. Ask away and I'll see what I can answer.
    Hey Sean, welcome to the new forum! Good to have you here.

-Dave-
    '01 QC 4x4 33s
    '98 RC V6

R/Tless...for now

Status

I'm curious how the software is going to be out of date in a year, when our pcm's aren't changing? It's not like they're still making our trucks and Chrysler is changing the code. So I don't see how anything is going to become outdated. Just wondering. Like any new software I'm sure there have been bugs to work out, but I think that SCT will be the way to go for us. I like that there is no wiring involved and no CELs, which you can't avoid with a standalone.

I also curious about the limitations of the stock pcm, if there are any? Maybe Sean can shed some light on that, if there's anything he's encountered that the SCT software can't handle.

I know Marty has documented some gains, even on a mild setup, over a flash. And to me, it's more than just peak gains, gotta look at overall tunability. I'm gonna be running a big ass cam, 262/270 @ .050, a flash can't handle that, and if it could, it would take more tries than it's worth. I know Marty has already run a 240ish cam with the SCT software, so I'm hoping that it will be able to handle my setup, we'll find out come April/May timeframe.

-Dave-
    '01 QC 4x4 33s
    '98 RC V6

OG DRTC

Status

Hey everybody. I was asked to stop in and answer some SCT questions. Ask away and I'll see what I can answer.
    Can you get rid of the e-fan wiring check engine light?

And how bout a pre-nats group buy.

Status

Bump for subscription. I'm looking to buy two hand helds and/or two PRP's here sometime this year.

Prefers DSMs over R/Ts

Status

I'm interested as well and my truck needs this, but I'm getting DSMlink first and foremost

Status

Ok have a couple questions for ya. I know they are using plug-n-play 2 bar map sensors with sct for boosted application, but could you tell me how that is working with the stock computer? Are you changing the voltage values with the sct? Also when you are doing the tune through e-mail are you starting with a(for lack of better words) canned flash. Then tuning off a dyno or datalog from a wideband?

Troy

Quote Originally Posted by bad425rt View Post
    I'm curious how the software is going to be out of date in a year, when our pcm's aren't changing? It's not like they're still making our trucks and Chrysler is changing the code. So I don't see how anything is going to become outdated. Just wondering. Like any new software I'm sure there have been bugs to work out, but I think that SCT will be the way to go for us. I like that there is no wiring involved and no CELs, which you can't avoid with a standalone.

I also curious about the limitations of the stock pcm, if there are any? Maybe Sean can shed some light on that, if there's anything he's encountered that the SCT software can't handle.

I know Marty has documented some gains, even on a mild setup, over a flash. And to me, it's more than just peak gains, gotta look at overall tunability. I'm gonna be running a big ass cam, 262/270 @ .050, a flash can't handle that, and if it could, it would take more tries than it's worth. I know Marty has already run a 240ish cam with the SCT software, so I'm hoping that it will be able to handle my setup, we'll find out come April/May timeframe.
    I've never heard of the software being obsolete. It's been around for years for Chevy and Ford and with the $$$$$ SCT has put into the Dodge market I don't see it going anywhere. They have started off with the basic engine management tables. There is a TON of stuff missing but things are added weekly to the pcm tables as we find stuff that we want. It's not a fast process though. Especially since they are working on hemi releases.

The SCT software provides full pcm editing. On a side note, there are tables not avail yet. Tire size changing for instance. It's just a table that SCT techs need to find and present to us in the pretty gui front end which takes some time on their side. And as I said above, they present engine management first and will get back to "features" on the next go around. The only limitations I've come across were not having a table in the software for something. And it can get added....but....time....lol.

A 262/270 cam will be tough. The only thing I see giving you a fit is the idle when coming to a stop. You'll probably have to do some adjusting on the IAC. SCT can do a good bit in stepping down the tb plate but you'll probably have to crack that bad boy open a little manually.

Quote Originally Posted by Aves View Post
    Ok have a couple questions for ya. I know they are using plug-n-play 2 bar map sensors with sct for boosted application, but could you tell me how that is working with the stock computer? Are you changing the voltage values with the sct? Also when you are doing the tune through e-mail are you starting with a(for lack of better words) canned flash. Then tuning off a dyno or datalog from a wideband?

Troy
    Each tuner from SCT is completely blank. We have to build each program from scratch. f/i is tricky and takes time to write via mail order. The first few attempts just gets things driving correctly. So the base is like tuning n/a and some fuel vamping in boosted areas is put in. A wideband is nice to get data from. There is a key on map problem that will occur every few cranks. SCT has to add some specific tables in the program to allow us to change that error check for map voltage.

Quote Originally Posted by hskr View Post
    Can you get rid of the e-fan wiring check engine light?
    Your relays bad or something? Does your efan work? When does the CEL cut on? When the fans try to cut on or at engine on?

OG DRTC

Status

Your relays bad or something? Does your efan work? When does the CEL cut on? When the fans try to cut on or at engine on?
    Relays and fuses are good, but removed since I couldn't get rid of the light and I don't use the stock e-fan wiring. Comes on at key on before the engine is even started. I run an aftermarket SPAL unit with SPAL-PWM controller so don't care about the factory e-fan functions. If the motor is cold, I can clear the code with key on/engine off using my digimoto software and it will stay off as long as I don't turn the truck back off. But if the engine is warm, it doesn't matter if I clear the code or not it comes back on as soon as I start the truck. It's the 1491 shorted or open condition in the e-fan circuitry. I've swapped in a known good PCM with no change.

Also, for some reason, my digimoto software won't communicate with the sensors anymore with the truck running. I've used it with no problems before. Only thing that changed is I re-wired/routed my MSD 6AL to clean up the wiring. All the wires stayed the same, I just re-routed them to be cleaner. Maybe the way I re-routed the wires is interfering with the signals from the PCM to the OBDII port??
    Last edited by hskr; 02-05-2008 at 07:23 PM.

R/Tless...for now

Status

I've never heard of the software being obsolete. It's been around for years for Chevy and Ford and with the $$$$$ SCT has put into the Dodge market I don't see it going anywhere. They have started off with the basic engine management tables. There is a TON of stuff missing but things are added weekly to the pcm tables as we find stuff that we want. It's not a fast process though. Especially since they are working on hemi releases.

The SCT software provides full pcm editing. On a side note, there are tables not avail yet. Tire size changing for instance. It's just a table that SCT techs need to find and present to us in the pretty gui front end which takes some time on their side. And as I said above, they present engine management first and will get back to "features" on the next go around. The only limitations I've come across were not having a table in the software for something. And it can get added....but....time....lol.

A 262/270 cam will be tough. The only thing I see giving you a fit is the idle when coming to a stop. You'll probably have to do some adjusting on the IAC. SCT can do a good bit in stepping down the tb plate but you'll probably have to crack that bad boy open a little manually.
    The other stuff will be nice when it gets added, but a good tune is all I care about right now

I'm sure my setup will take a lil work, and probably still won't have perfect street manners, but I can live with that I have a very loose definition of "streetable" LOL

-Dave-
    '01 QC 4x4 33s
    '98 RC V6

I see alot of talk about the SCT tuner, how many of us are getting ready to buy one? Is there any chance of getting group buy together?
    Engine Mods: M-1 intake,Hughes billet TB MOPAR performance valve covers, Taylor Spiro -Pro wires, 160 Deg t. stat, Gibson headers, Open exhaust, Kenne Bell Super Charger, 40 Lb. Viper injectors, K&N Air Hat, SCT tunned

Send Lawyers Guns & Money

Status

A question has come up and hopefully you can help.

If you bought a PRP and you loaded the software onto a laptop, BUT, that's all you ever did. The hand held tuner was never hooked up. Can that package be sold and used by someone else, or does it have to have a new security dongle?
    Alan Short
    D.R.T.C. #15

R/Tless...for now

Status

Quote Originally Posted by timmydatoolman View Post
    I see alot of talk about the SCT tuner, how many of us are getting ready to buy one? Is there any chance of getting group buy together?
    I'm in for a group buy

-Dave-
    '01 QC 4x4 33s
    '98 RC V6

Blown and Squirted

Status

Alan,
    Could you consider using this picture instead? The one you currently have takes up just about an entire screen on my lap top. I eliminated some of the blank space for you

'99 R/T- MSIIextra fuel/spark/idle, ZCP mx422 supercharged, ZCP Tbrake 727, PPC 10" 3800, 4.10, (\/) Headers, 2.5" Duals, Truetrac, Boyd Timeless 6's, Hotchkis TVS.
    Z Code Performance Website

Send Lawyers Guns & Money

Status

[QUOTE=Five9Dak;5921]Alan,
    Could you consider using this picture instead? The one you currently have takes up just about an entire screen on my lap top. I eliminated some of the blank space for you

Sure thing, howzat look?
    Alan Short
    D.R.T.C. #15

Status

I'd seriously consider the GB!!!!! Has anyone talked to them about it???

Quote Originally Posted by X_HAWAII RT View Post
    I'd seriously consider the GB!!!!! Has anyone talked to them about it???

I was going to try but work has been crazy, and it dosen't seem like it will get better anytime soon. I know hemifeaver from bionicdodge, had a group buy before Christmass. I would love to see a GB, but I don't think I'll have time to do anything with it.
    Engine Mods: M-1 intake,Hughes billet TB MOPAR performance valve covers, Taylor Spiro -Pro wires, 160 Deg t. stat, Gibson headers, Open exhaust, Kenne Bell Super Charger, 40 Lb. Viper injectors, K&N Air Hat, SCT tunned

R/Tless...for now

Status

I was going to try but work has been crazy, and it dosen't seem like it will get better anytime soon. I know hemifeaver from bionicdodge, had a group buy before Christmass. I would love to see a GB, but I don't think I'll have time to do anything with it.
    I'm in the same boat (hah!), I'll buy one, but have no time to organize the gb.

-Dave-
    '01 QC 4x4 33s
    '98 RC V6

Status

Quote Originally Posted by bad425rt View Post
    I'm in the same boat (hah!), I'll buy one, but have no time to organize the gb.
    maybe we hit up Hemifever????

R/Tless...for now

Status

I sent him a pm.

-Dave-
    '01 QC 4x4 33s
    '98 RC V6

I'll go shoot him a PM right now

Status

well if he goes for the GB we have 3 committed so far!!!

I will email him. He might not have email alerts on.
    Mike
    DRTC member #995
    03 Black rc R/T 1 of 265
    Best 1/4 13.98 @ 96mph

Mods: Sct tune, M1, 1.7rr's, 52mm f&b, Fipk, Msd ignition, viper fan, 4.56's, Spintech headers and true duals no cats.

Its a no go on a GB from Hemifeaver, here is what he had to say:
    "get so screwed on group buys. lol. I did a gb to get the tuners out there a while back and charged $499 + s/h which was $515. Now I charge $569 shipped n/a and $599 f/i. After this month it goes up to $599 for n/a engines and $639 for f/i. I've got at least 10 hours in a dudes f/i tune getting his pcm controlling the blower mgmt. If I didn't have to put so much of my personal time in writing the tunes I'd do one in a heart beat."

Any one else have nay ideas or contacts?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast