+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The SCT Thread

Former R/T Owner

Status

Default The SCT Thread

Okay, ill start it since its not here yet.....

Who has it and what have you done with it? This PRP has been awhile and several people have claimed to have tuned and dyno'd with it...what are the gains????

Ive seen no definitive numbers, dyno or track number to convince me that its worth it. People have claimed they have been tuning, but no one has given us anything more...its seeming to me this is a nicer version of Superchips

I talked to a reliable source (an SCT dealer and tuner) that SCT isn't all the hype everyone thinks it is.

Its all developed by old programmers for Ford who only wanted to venture put into GM and Mopar to make some $$$. These Things were developed and proven in Mustangs, but past that not much else. The software will be obsolete in a year and you would end up spending more money for upgrades. Customer Support with SCT is lacking as the forums are down and getting info from them takes an act of congress. Your better off doing stand alone systems, even with this tuner, you will ALWAYS have limitations running a stock PCM
    That the info that I gathered from him....just passing along what was told to me. The guy has a Gen2 Dak doing an R3 build and knows his Mopars also.

And so far no one in the dakota world has proven him wrong....

Discuss?

I dont think that is entirely true.....its in its infant stages.....much like fast and dfi (there wasnt definitive tuning answers on those right out of the gate either).....

However I know that Hemifever guy (Sean) has tuned a number of mopars with the PRP.....Kenny Simpson from delphi ran a 12.2 on his vortech setup with the PRP - he had to redo his fuel system to keep up.....

So you may want to contact Sean and ask him - they have done numerous boost setups as well....

And just because you are not hearing about it doesnt mean it isnt happening - I dont think alot of r/t guys have tried it but that doesnt mean its a total bust....

Todd

Send Lawyers Guns & Money

Status

I have had my 408 SCT tuned with the PRP back in September, but it was the first magnum motored Dodge truck tune that the Mustang tuner had ever done and he had a little bit of a learning curve happening. I need to go back and get it re-tuned though, because this tune lacks a lot. In fact, my peak numbers were higher when I ran it on a MP PCM and stock injectors.
    Alan Short
    D.R.T.C. #15

Status

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRT View Post
    I dont think that is entirely true.....its in its infant stages.....much like fast and dfi (there wasnt definitive tuning answers on those right out of the gate either).....

However I know that Hemifever guy (Sean) has tuned a number of mopars with the PRP.....Kenny Simpson from delphi ran a 12.2 on his vortech setup with the PRP - he had to redo his fuel system to keep up.....

So you may want to contact Sean and ask him - they have done numerous boost setups as well....

And just because you are not hearing about it doesnt mean it isnt happening - I dont think alot of r/t guys have tried it but that doesnt mean its a total bust....

Todd
    And don't forget Marty. He's been SCT tuning effectively for quite a while now.
    Alan Short
    D.R.T.C. #15

Former R/T Owner

Status

im not saying it ISNT happening...but where are some results? I really wanna see what this stuff can do

Quote Originally Posted by grapejuice1998 View Post
    And don't forget Marty. He's been SCT tuning effectively for quite a while now.
    Well I associate Sean with Marty since his title is KRC field tuner.....

And I think there are results just NOT on our forum.....I know they have been doing close to standalone type performance tunes with it.....

Go get yer shit redone!

Todd

Status

I'm gonna call the tuner tomorrow and see if he has time to mess with it. I don't want to leave it if I don't have to.
    Alan Short
    D.R.T.C. #15

OG DRTC

Status

Should see if we can't get hemifever to register on here and possibly "sponsor" the Nats? I know he has done group buys in the past for the SCT tuner. And even his normal price isn't out of line since he offers free "tweaks" to the tune. Not sure how that works though.

Former R/T Owner

Status

Quote Originally Posted by hskr View Post
    Should see if we can't get hemifever to register on here and possibly "sponsor" the Nats? I know he has done group buys in the past for the SCT tuner. And even his normal price isn't out of line since he offers free "tweaks" to the tune. Not sure how that works though.
    he emails you a formula...been doing it awhile now i hear for a small fee

Status

Well, it DOES work. Install 30lb injectors in your truck and see how it runs. Mine runs fine with them. The tuner tuned part and full throttle. My numbers were pitiful, but early on he had trouble with an 02 sensor giving a reading. Said he was afraid it might be down and causing the engine to run one side lean. No codes for 02 though.

From baseline to tuned it gained 18whp and 38wtq IIRC. Of course it also runs super smooth in all conditions as well (one of his aims).

I actually got around to doing a comp. test the number concerned me so, and while comp came up fine, was disturbed to find out the pass side appears to be running very lean and the driver's banks a bit rich (sounds familiar....). It is the pass side 02 that refused to give him reading. I have one to replace it if I can ever get both temperatures and weather to cooperate.

I just don't know how much difference a bad 02 can make. I know some, but if it's not a lot.... something is wrong somewhere else....

Oh yeah, back tot he tune, he improved the curve too. Before I could barely get a chirp/lil spin off idle (I know, I know)), after I can spin through 1st and into 2nd. He said my low rpmms were really, really screwed up (stock Mopar PCM).

That's my insight from my weaksauce 426.

Oh yeah, and I had hoped to at least get some decent juice numbers, but we only ran it a couple times monitoring the AF closely. It was blowing out the damned spark plugs, so I'm going to get some 3922s to replace the 3923s. Knowing what I know now, that 02 may have been involved too.
    1999 426ci Dakota R/T
    2009 Cadillac 3.6 DI CTS4
    2006 Kia Optima EX V6 (Wife's)
    2001 4.7 QuadraDrive WJ Grand Cherokee Limited (For Sale)

Blown and Squirted

Status

IMO the main short comming of the SCT system is It's still relying on a narrowband o2 for fueling equations and for feedback. BAD for performance applications.

Purple: Get a damn (permanent) wideband on that thing, perhaps two, before you break more parts.

'99 R/T- MSIIextra fuel/spark/idle, ZCP mx422 supercharged, ZCP Tbrake 727, PPC 10" 3800, 4.10, (\/) Headers, 2.5" Duals, Truetrac, Boyd Timeless 6's, Hotchkis TVS.
    Z Code Performance Website

OG DRTC

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Five9Dak View Post
    IMO the main short comming of the SCT system is It's still relying on a narrowband o2 for fueling equations and for feedback. BAD for performance applications.

Purple: Get a damn (permanent) wideband on that thing, perhaps two, before you break more parts.
    That's why you tune WOT with a wideband O2 sensor. The PCM doesn't use the stock O2 sensor for inputs at WOT.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Five9Dak View Post

I've got a wideband in the truck, but with one side running rich, and one side running lean, when they meet at the H-Pipe, they get back to the wideband and the one side lean condition is not apparent.

Also, as mentioned below, all tuning was done using a wideband.
    1999 426ci Dakota R/T

Quote Originally Posted by DaPurpleRT View Post
    Well, it DOES work. Install 30lb injectors in your truck and see how it runs. Mine runs fine with them. The tuner tuned part and full throttle. My numbers were pitiful, but early on he had trouble with an 02 sensor giving a reading. Said he was afraid it might be down and causing the engine to run one side lean. No codes for 02 though.

From baseline to tuned it gained 18whp and 38wtq IIRC. Of course it also runs super smooth in all conditions as well (one of his aims).

I actually got around to doing a comp. test the number concerned me so, and while comp came up fine, was disturbed to find out the pass side appears to be running very lean and the driver's banks a bit rich (sounds familiar....). It is the pass side 02 that refused to give him reading. I have one to replace it if I can ever get both temperatures and weather to cooperate.

I just don't know how much difference a bad 02 can make. I know some, but if it's not a lot.... something is wrong somewhere else....

Oh yeah, back tot he tune, he improved the curve too. Before I could barely get a chirp/lil spin off idle (I know, I know)), after I can spin through 1st and into 2nd. He said my low rpmms were really, really screwed up (stock Mopar PCM).

That's my insight from my weaksauce 426.

Oh yeah, and I had hoped to at least get some decent juice numbers, but we only ran it a couple times monitoring the AF closely. It was blowing out the damned spark plugs, so I'm going to get some 3922s to replace the 3923s. Knowing what I know now, that 02 may have been involved too.
    um did you go back and look at the flow number on the heads you got.They are only good for . 500 lift is where the max flow numbers peak. I just looked at the flow chart and higher the lift the less flow you get. which would more than likely explain the whistling sound coming back through the intake "not enough air". What I'm saying is too much bottom end not enough heads . hell put my heads on that thing and it would scream. Weak , I disagree it pulls like a sob down low till it runs out of air.

I'm running a hemifever tune. He is a good tuner. We try alot of drifferent things on my truck. I will talk to him and see about him coming over here and answering some questions and see about sponsoring.

Blown and Squirted

Status

That's why you tune WOT with a wideband O2 sensor. The PCM doesn't use the stock O2 sensor for inputs at WOT.
    I know.

What you don't think your ever in a performance driving situation where fueling is closed loop???? A real tune isnt just WOT on a dynojet type dyno.

To purple, something is wrong with you fuel system if you have vastly different AFRs bank to bank. Perhaps the single feed returnless system with crossover simply cant keep one bank satisfied, or a few of your injectors badly need cleaning. Does it keep up fuel pressure at WOT?
    Last edited by Five9Dak; 01-31-2008 at 04:41 AM.

'99 R/T- MSIIextra fuel/spark/idle, ZCP mx422 supercharged, ZCP Tbrake 727, PPC 10" 3800, 4.10, (\/) Headers, 2.5" Duals, Truetrac, Boyd Timeless 6's, Hotchkis TVS.

Status

I need to put a FP gauge on these 30lbers actually.

And Jerry, welcome, heh, but anyways, the flow number are at .500 for stock Iron Rams. Mine wer eported out by Champion Performance and were 281 and 198 @ .600 respectively (still pitiful, but much better than stock). I agree though, nowhere near enough head, or cam, or exhaust. I'll get that work out. Just too weak right now even with the current parts list.

Gonna replace that 02 this weekend and see what kind of difference that makes.

To the subject title, yes, the SCT does work.
    1999 426ci Dakota R/T

Status

PS: My tuner spent around 6 hours tuning the idle and cruising on the truck before it ever saw WOT or the dyno.
    1999 426ci Dakota R/T

Blown and Squirted

Status

PS: My tuner spent around 6 hours tuning the idle and cruising on the truck before it ever saw WOT or the dyno.
    That's cool, I was talking to brian.

Status

I know, I was just kinda saying the SCT will allow a full tune, IF you have a dedicated enough tuner. He also used his laptop and data logging OBD system since the darn SCT doesn't have data logging yet.
    1999 426ci Dakota R/T

I know, I was just kinda saying the SCT will allow a full tune, IF you have a dedicated enough tuner. He also used his laptop and data logging OBD system since the darn SCT doesn't have data logging yet.
    Do you know what he did use for datalogging?
    Dave Lyons
    Its Alive!
    403 N/A

Status

I sure don't. I think it was some generic OBD software he used to tap into the PCM to get readings from the sensors.

How're you doing a 403 exactly?
    1999 426ci Dakota R/T

I sent him a email. We will see what he says. But if they do get a portable dyno at nats. I know something was said about it. Maybe he can fly out and tune some trucks if people are seriously interested.

I sure don't. I think it was some generic OBD software he used to tap into the PCM to get readings from the sensors.

How're you doing a 403 exactly?
    Easy, 4 inch stoke with a 4.003 bore. Pistons are custom made, no reason to bore more than whats needed. 402.9 if you want to get technical.
    Dave Lyons
    Its Alive!
    403 N/A

Hey everybody. I was asked to stop in and answer some SCT questions. Ask away and I'll see what I can answer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast