+ Reply to Thread

Thread: turd=clogged converter!

Status

Default turd=clogged converter!

finally figured out why my truck didn't seem fast enough. wife has been driving it and it stalled on her tonight. got very hot and very little emissions from the tailpipe. tried to punch a hole in it pre-cat on the side of the highway but couldn't so i beat the hell out of the converter and she started right up. it wheezed all the way home (20+ miles) but it made it. btw= this truck JUST turned 50K miles! the good news is that she asked me what an exhaust cost. can you say spin-tech?!

i
    Last edited by simon; 08-21-2010 at 11:19 AM.

Wow...

Status

Quote Originally Posted by mopardude67 View Post
    Wow...

you know it all at 22yo, huh?

Send Lawyers Guns & Money

Status

Quote Originally Posted by simon View Post
    finally figured out why my truck didn't seem fast enough. wife has been driving it and it stalled on her tonight. got very hot and very little emissions from the tailpipe. tried to punch a hole in it pre-cat on the side of the highway but couldn't so i beat the hell out of the converter and she started right up. it wheezed all the way home (20+ miles) but it made it. btw= this truck JUST turned 50K miles! the good news is that she asked me what an exhaust cost. can you say spin-tech?!

i
    Mine clogged up and stranded me at about 50k miles as well. Luckily I was only a few blocks from home at the time, so I went back and got a cordless drill with a 3/8" drill bit. I drilled about 4 holes ahead of the cat and it started right back up. That was when I put a custom exhaust on too, so it seems to be a pattern.
    Alan Short
    D.R.T.C. #15

Quote Originally Posted by simon View Post
    you know it all at 22yo, huh?
    No I wouldn't be on this site if I did, wow... is for all the mopar bashing you had on this thread before you edited it

Blown and Squirted

Status

We had to gut mine on the side of the highway to get home at 80k. Mopar runs them too rich under load and ruins the converters.

'99 R/T- MSIIextra fuel/spark/idle, ZCP mx422 supercharged, ZCP Tbrake 727, PPC 10" 3800, 4.10, (\/) Headers, 2.5" Duals, Truetrac, Boyd Timeless 6's, Hotchkis TVS.
    Z Code Performance Website

Status

Quote Originally Posted by mopardude67 View Post
    No I wouldn't be on this site if I did, wow... is for all the mopar bashing you had on this thread before you edited it
    yeah, i was pretty pissed off last night. i love the truck but it's had one goofy-ass problem after the next. for a truck that just turned 50K and has been a garage queen, i really didn't expect to have any issues.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Five9Dak View Post
    We had to gut mine on the side of the highway to get home at 80k. Mopar runs them too rich under load and ruins the converters.
    kinda spooky laying under a truck with cars buzzing by at 80, ain't it?

Blown and Squirted

Status

I had a full size jack in the bed, lifted the truck up and dropped it on a large screw driver positioned in a dimple I made in the cat, it ripped a nice big hole in it and then I went to town.

'99 R/T- MSIIextra fuel/spark/idle, ZCP mx422 supercharged, ZCP Tbrake 727, PPC 10" 3800, 4.10, (\/) Headers, 2.5" Duals, Truetrac, Boyd Timeless 6's, Hotchkis TVS.
    Z Code Performance Website

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Five9Dak View Post
    I had a full size jack in the bed, lifted the truck up and dropped it on a large screw driver positioned in a dimple I made in the cat, it ripped a nice big hole in it and then I went to town.
    First think I did when I bought my 98 RAM was gut that stupid Cat...Plugged the sensor back in...No codes in 2 years.
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Adobedude View Post
    First think I did when I bought my 98 RAM was gut that stupid Cat...Plugged the sensor back in...No codes in 2 years.
    Ha that's great I tryed it on my 96 318 dakota and it slung a code pretty quick, but that's just my luck

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Adobedude View Post
    I just ripped the cats out all together.

Yay for no emissions! Smells better too.
    - Mark

2001 Dakota R/T - HCI and a few other things.
    Broken again... Rebuild underway.

+ Reply to Thread