+ Reply to Thread

Thread: splicing into brake lights.

Dirty Jerzey

Status

Default splicing into brake lights.

I would like to tie into the brake light's of the R/T for when its on the trailer, so when the trailer lights come on so do the brake lights on the R/T. I would use some sort of weather pack for easy hookup..

Will I have any issue with backfeed or anything else?

The trailer is grounded through the ball and I have a 10g wire direct from the neg terminal on battery strait to the plug for the trailer. The lights are 16ga iirc.
    2002 AB CC R/T (R.I.P)
    11.52@116.61 w/1.67 60'.

2002 AB QC 4.7 4x4

www.schroermasonry.com
    Facebook.com/SchroerMasonry

Status

You shouldn't....IIRC, most (if not all) trailer wiring kits are just a straight splice. If you want though, I'm sure you could wire in the appropriately-rated diodes on your signal wires if you're that worried. Personally, I'd try a straight splice until you have a problem.
    - Justin

'00 BW CC R/T
    '91 Graphite Turbo Targa Supra

F-Quick Myspace Facebook

Accumulating parts...

Status

My dad wanted to do that to mine. I didn't feel like hacking my stock wires when the LED's we have are bright enough.
    12.10@106@Famoso Raceway

Status
    I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by BryanRT360 View Post
    I would like to tie into the brake light's of the R/T for when its on the trailer, so when the trailer lights come on so do the brake lights on the R/T. I would use some sort of weather pack for easy hookup..

Will I have any issue with backfeed or anything else?

The trailer is grounded through the ball and I have a 10g wire direct from the neg terminal on battery strait to the plug for the trailer. The lights are 16ga iirc.
    I would hook the R/T lights up to the tow vehicle brake lights, not the trailer brake lights, and add a ground between trailer and tow vehicle so you are not relying on the ball for ground. Make sure you know what fuse is for the tow vehicles brake lights and have a few spares....

Last time out I put the emergency flashers on the R/T and left them on for the entire drive home
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

Dirty Jerzey

Status

Quote Originally Posted by KicknAsphlt View Post
    You shouldn't....IIRC, most (if not all) trailer wiring kits are just a straight splice. If you want though, I'm sure you could wire in the appropriately-rated diodes on your signal wires if you're that worried. Personally, I'd try a straight splice until you have a problem.
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by GoFastGray View Post
    My dad wanted to do that to mine. I didn't feel like hacking my stock wires when the LED's we have are bright enough.
    I have an extra harness so I won't be hacking up the r/ts wires.
    Quote Originally Posted by bwdakrt View Post
    Pretty much what I planned on doing. Any idea how long the wires are?

Quote Originally Posted by Adobedude View Post
    I would hook the R/T lights up to the tow vehicle brake lights, not the trailer brake lights, and add a ground between trailer and tow vehicle so you are not relying on the ball for ground. Make sure you know what fuse is for the tow vehicles brake lights and have a few spares....

Last time out I put the emergency flashers on the R/T and left them on for the entire drive home
    Re-read the Op. I have a 10ga direct from tow vehicle battery to trailer.

Not a bad idea on the flashers. If I don't get around to wiring in the brakes before the next time out, this is what I will do.
    2002 AB CC R/T (R.I.P)
    11.52@116.61 w/1.67 60'.

2002 AB QC 4.7 4x4

www.schroermasonry.com
    Facebook.com/SchroerMasonry

Status

Quote Originally Posted by BryanRT360 View Post
    Pretty much what I planned on doing. Any idea how long the wires are?
    More than enough wire to connect to the trailer. Has a 4 wire flat connector.
    I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Status

When I towed the TKO truck home from Maryland, I left the running lights on in the truck while it was on the tow dolly. The last thing I wanted was someone blasting into me on the way home at night. As long as you aren't going too far you shouldn't have trouble with the battery. I stopped twice on the way home just to let the truck run and keep the battery up.

That being said, I don't see why you'd have any issue tapping into the harness as long as some weather pack connectors are used
    Andrew
    1999 IB RC R/T
    TKO600

Blown and Squirted

Status

You might already have the beginings of a trailer harness on the R/T you could tap into. . Mine did, even though it wasn't connectorized.

'99 R/T- MSIIextra fuel/spark/idle, ZCP mx422 supercharged, ZCP Tbrake 727, PPC 10" 3800, 4.10, (\/) Headers, 2.5" Duals, Truetrac, Boyd Timeless 6's, Hotchkis TVS.
    Z Code Performance Website

+ Reply to Thread