PDA

View Full Version : Supercharger questions?

happygizmo11
04-03-2010, 09:17 PM
I am really interested in super charging my 2000 Dakota R/T. There are only a few problems, first I don't know much about cars, second I couldn't even be considered an amateur mechanic (I could barely manage an oil change) but I am willing to learn and and am a very good and quick learner, third money is a little tight and I don't want to have to really spend over 2000 (even that is a little high) so I have to wait for ebay or local sale. So really I just have alot of questions.
I know in theory a supercharger shouldn't hurt your gas mileage, if anything it should improve it since you are getting a more efficient system, but does that hold up in reality? Does anyone have actual experience about how it affects gas mileage if you drive relatively the same? Does anyone have advice on how to get ahold of a cheap supercharger? is ebay the best, craigslist, or forums?
Thank you guys for your help, and even for just reading through this post if you made it the whole way.

Five9Dak
04-03-2010, 09:36 PM
I'm not trying to be a dick, but if you have 2k to spend in total and are worried about gas mileage- now is not the time for a blower.

I paid 2200 for my blower and probably have 1k into fuel system and EMS.

No supercharger options for these trucks come with good tuning options, so paying for that, and a fuel system is going to be money on top of the hardware.

I get better highway gas mileage with my blower and standalone than I do NA and on the mopar performance PCM. I attribute that to the better tune I have aftermarket engine computer. I can't say whether a centrifugal or SCT boosted truck would have the same results. My setup has a bypass valve to unload the compressor in cruise conditions.

Any R/T's
04-04-2010, 03:49 AM
Mileage is about the same under normal driving .The blower purchase should come after you change headers,intake manifold, throttle body etc. You need the small stuff to help the blower maximize air flow.

NoCure4TheItch
04-20-2010, 03:30 AM
if your interested i have a kit i am selling. it is a full kenne bell
supercharger w/ piping
injectors
3 pullys i will try to get the sizes
wires w/ air fuel gauge
and kenne bell optomizer

Rtspeeddemon
04-20-2010, 12:44 PM
Limited budget = NO SUPERCHARGER PERIOD.

Don't even think about one until you can afford to do it right as lots of unexpected things come up. If you want cheap power then spray it.