PDA

View Full Version : 99 Dakota Rt

TBIDDY83
03-18-2008, 06:25 PM
hello everyone. i am new to this site and was needing some help. my dakota is having problems shifting. 1,2,3, and od words fine. but when your driving it doesnt want to shift into 2nd gear. i have to let off the pedel to get it to shift. if i hold the pedel the rpms will keep rising. i cant figure out what the problem is. i was wondering if a durango tranny would work or if anybody had any suggestions what the problem might be. thanks

BTLFED R/T
03-18-2008, 06:36 PM
hello everyone. i am new to this site and was needing some help. my dakota is having problems shifting. 1,2,3, and od words fine. but when your driving it doesnt want to shift into 2nd gear. i have to let off the pedel to get it to shift. if i hold the pedel the rpms will keep rising. i cant figure out what the problem is. i was wondering if a durango tranny would work or if anybody had any suggestions what the problem might be. thanks

Have you messed with the tb cable at all? Sounds like it could be an adjustment issue in the cable. Or it could be that second gear is just not there anymore. <---speaking from experience.

cullins
03-18-2008, 09:57 PM
I had this problem with my 01. But i got a check engine light shortly after it started it was a governer pressure switch in the trans.

PeteRT
03-18-2008, 10:34 PM
i would start with the TV cable as well (a previous poster called it a TB cable)...

if you need help with it- just ask, we're all very familiar with it, lol.
pete

BTLFED R/T
03-18-2008, 11:13 PM
i would start with the TV cable as well (a previous poster called it a TB cable)...

pete

TV, TB, whatever! LOL

99BlackMagic
05-05-2008, 05:21 PM

pete

Is this an easy to mess up adjustment? Mine is doing the same thing (not shifting until I back out of the gas).

There are 3 cables that attach to the throttle body. I believe the TV cable is the one on the firewall side. Where is the adjustment? On the transmission end of the cable? Will I need to remove the cable and modify it?

Thanks!

Jontoad
05-05-2008, 06:14 PM
didn't 01 and up trucks have a tsb for this exact symptom because of the valve body in the trans? i know your trucks are 99s but may be its a similar problem.

99BlackMagic
05-05-2008, 10:28 PM
...so, what am I missing here:

(3) Disconnect cable end from attachment stud on throttle body.
(4) Verify that transmission throttle lever is in idle (full forward) position. Then be sure lever on throttle body is at curb idle position.
(5) Insert a small screwdriver under edge of retaining clip and remove retaining clip.
(6) Center cable end on attachment stud to within 1mm.
(7) Install retaining clip onto cable housing.

So, how do I adjust it? what am I missing here? The cable slides in the housing, but I don't see any adjuster thingy. Ahhhhh.

99BlackMagic
05-05-2008, 11:08 PM
I got it... I'm stupid.

When it said to remove the retaining clip, I pressed in the two tabs and removed the "retaining clip" housing from the tb bracket. I didn't realize they were talking about the beige "C" shaped clip.

Good news... it's fixed.

Bad news... now I have to decide what to spend my transmission fund on... :biggthumpup:

uwntsumrtII
05-06-2008, 03:33 AM
I got it... I'm stupid.

When it said to remove the retaining clip, I pressed in the two tabs and removed the "retaining clip" housing from the tb bracket. I didn't realize they were talking about the beige "C" shaped clip.

Good news... it's fixed.

Bad news... now I have to decide what to spend my transmission fund on... :biggthumpup:

spend it on the trans anyway :biggthumpup: once you get up there in mods the trans won't like it. just have it rebuild with some kevlar bands and upgraded clutches. throw in a shift kit and a torque converter and your good to go.

BluRT00
05-19-2008, 05:39 PM
I got it... I'm stupid.

Good news... it's fixed.

As uwantsum said, go ahead with the tranny while you got the money. I did the Kevlar band/ clutchs. Put in a transgo shiftkit back by a 2800 msaine torque converter. It wakes the truck up big time, and when you start throwing more power on, it wont die. Dan