PDA

View Full Version : PCM or SCT?

cubs25
03-19-2010, 06:10 AM
Situation is the only engine mods besides what I have now that I want to do to my truck is a good set of longtube headers.

That being said I've been researching and it seems like either getting my current PCM flashed or purchasing a used one w/a performance flash on it would be the icing on the cake for me and my performance mods.

So my question(s) are,
1. Am I wrong and should I be looking at a SCT?
2. Should I get mine flashed or find a used one? (what's cheaper?)
3. Do you have to switch to premium gas if you get a flashed pcm?
:burnout:

mtlcafan79
03-19-2010, 01:00 PM
I would go straight to SCT. Even on stock setups the SCT flashes bring in timing much faster than anything else. This will be felt as more bottom end in the butt dyno. Any flash will require 93 due to the advanced timing. SCT will be there to reflash again as your mods change.

Adobedude
03-19-2010, 01:00 PM
Don't even bother with getting your PCM flashed, get an SCT.

RJ_Hythloday
03-19-2010, 01:15 PM
I haven't looked into it yet, I have the PRP. Won't I be able to do a tune for 87 or maybe even 89?

mtlcafan79
03-19-2010, 01:32 PM
You can, but then what's the point? Timing is an important part of making more power. With lower octane you can't crank the timing without it pinging on you. No timing = no power. Ask anyone with a death flash.

RJ_Hythloday
03-19-2010, 01:56 PM
You can, but then what's the point? Timing is an important part of making more power. With lower octane you can't crank the timing without it pinging on you. No timing = no power. Ask anyone with a death flash.

I'm building a daily driver, I'd prefer to run the lowest octane that wont ping. I could have a seperate tow tune for 91-93.

Intense RT
03-19-2010, 09:17 PM
I'm building a daily driver, I'd prefer to run the lowest octane that wont ping. I could have a seperate tow tune for 91-93.Nothing wrong with that.

wyotech_cuda440
03-20-2010, 01:06 AM
In Cali, the best I can get is 91, I had hemifever tune for it. He also sent me a tune for 93 so I tried it with some lucas octane boost, and there wasn't really a big difference, just barely noticeable. If you plan on using cheap gas to save cash, just think about it- a 20 gallon fill-up will cost $4 more if you go from cheap to premium, it's only $0.20 more per gallon. For $4 I'll take all the extra power I can get.

cubs25
03-20-2010, 01:28 AM
Could I ask hemifever to write a 89 tune and a 91-93 tune? Because I'd like the option to be able to use a high performance tune like a 91-93 octane. That being said for the majority of the time I'd prefer to keep running the same fuel. So could there be some performance to be gained in a 89 tune?

wyotech_cuda440
03-20-2010, 02:09 AM
Could I ask hemifever to write a 89 tune and a 91-93 tune? Because I'd like the option to be able to use a high performance tune like a 91-93 octane. That being said for the majority of the time I'd prefer to keep running the same fuel. So could there be some performance to be gained in a 89 tune?

Hemifever's canned tunes include 3 tunes for the different fuels availabe in your area. The tunes are all made for your current mods, based on Sean's past experience. Sean's custom tuning will require a datalogger, but you can send those logs to Sean anytime to make sure your truck is as dialed-in as possible. Even with cheap gas, having your truck run perfect is pretty noticeable. :drive:

cubs25
03-20-2010, 02:25 AM
So should I just be looking into a SCT w/the canned tunes? And if so does anyone know specifically what all that includes?

hskr
03-20-2010, 03:37 AM
IMO, get the unlimited tune package for the SCT. Allows room to "grow" in the future because we all know, we will never "finish" modding out trucks.,

AMBERFIRE-DEMON
03-22-2010, 10:09 PM

been their done the death flash thing . . . NO FUN! mine was so bad the SCT wouldnt even take to it. i had to buy another pcm :rolleyes:

my truck started out the same as yours man, just wanted a few mods. now im sporting eddy heads, m1, good size cam, ect. it never ends and is so worth it.

kyle

grapejuice1998
03-22-2010, 10:15 PM
I would skip the long tubes. I don't know how they ever got to be so popular.

tha professor
04-28-2010, 05:43 PM
In Cali, the best I can get is 91, I had hemifever tune for it. He also sent me a tune for 93 so I tried it with some lucas octane boost, and there wasn't really a big difference, just barely noticeable. If you plan on using cheap gas to save cash, just think about it- a 20 gallon fill-up will cost $4 more if you go from cheap to premium, it's only $0.20 more per gallon. For $4 I'll take all the extra power I can get.

Well if you fill up 100 times a year, that is $400 in additional fuel cost. I would prefer using a tuner that I can switch between performance and economy whenever I like.

Superchips should allow you to switch between different tunes. 87, 91, and 93.

Miggity
04-28-2010, 11:08 PM
Well if you fill up 100 times a year, that is $400 in additional fuel cost. I would prefer using a tuner that I can switch between performance and economy whenever I like.

If you're concerned about $400 across an entire year, maybe you shouldn't be moddin' your truck.... that's just my opinion anyway. :biggthumpup:

- miggity

tha professor
04-29-2010, 12:52 AM
If you're concerned about $400 across an entire year, maybe you shouldn't be moddin' your truck.... that's just my opinion anyway. :biggthumpup:

- miggity

I understand that, but I am just stating the facts. $4 isn't anything, but it certainly adds up quickly. And if the OP is using this as a daily, he would probably enjoy a tuner that is more flexible.

hskr
04-29-2010, 01:07 AM
I understand that, but I am just stating the facts. $4 isn't anything, but it certainly adds up quickly. And if the OP is using this as a daily, he would probably enjoy a tuner that is more flexible.

Doesn't he have SCT?? What's more flexible than that?

AMBERFIRE-DEMON
04-29-2010, 01:20 AM

exactly! their is no point in dicking around with a superchips or any other tuner. you can tune your truck to run on any grade of fuel. and you cant beet the brice from hemifever.

i will never understand these guys comeing on here and wanting to mod their trucks but at the same time get good fuel economy. it wasnt all that hot from the factory and mods dont help it at all. its one or the other . . . drive it or mod it and pay a little more for fuel.

unless you have a setup that can run on the street with regular and be a total different monster at the track with race gas their is no point. why not have all the power all the time?

but thats just my two cents. i dont know i could be wrong.

kyle

tha professor
04-29-2010, 01:53 AM

After reading the original post, I don't think he has a tune at all. Sounds like he is inquiring about tunes.

wyotech_cuda440
04-29-2010, 02:49 AM

I dumped my superchips to get an SCT, and Iv'e never regretted doing it. I got a "canned" tune from hemifever, and it came with tunes for 87,91,and 93 octane. I always run 91, because 93 isn't available near me. I use my truck as a daily driver, and I fill up 2-3 times a month, probably around 30 times a year. I have no problem paying a little more to have a truck that is more fun to drive, that's why we mod in the first place. BTW, I get 10 on the streets, and 15-18 on the freeway.

Miggity
04-29-2010, 06:05 AM

Well said :)

I've been running the MP PCM since I bought the truck in 2004. I don't mind runnin' premium to get that extra oomph, but that oomph is why I bought the MP PCM in the first place. I come from the "pay to play" school of thought. There isn't really much sense in getting tuned if you don't have the mods to justify getting a tune written, and if you have enough mods to justify a tune then your gas mileage is probably heading towards the tubes anyway. I know times are tight and all, but these trucks weren't designed with economy in mind and if you want to make a faster truck you're gonna' have to deal with its appetite. :biggthumpup:

I rock my 12mpg from my truck and it's a daily driver. Just sayin' :burnout:

- miggity

Intense RT
04-29-2010, 04:43 PM
Not sure why all the fuss. Only takes a few minutes to swap tunes with SCT. I never bother doing it though. With SCT you can change the timing curve and push it to the limit for fuel economy if you wish. Do small changes at a time and a lot of fuel mileage scrutiny.

Adobedude
04-29-2010, 04:54 PM
Not sure why all the fuss. Only takes a few minutes to swap tunes with SCT. I never bother doing it though. With SCT you can change the timing curve and push it to the limit for fuel economy if you wish. Do small changes at a time and a lot of fuel mileage scrutiny.

No shit....This thread was over with the first two posts...

TurboBlew
04-29-2010, 04:58 PM
No shit....This thread was over with the first two posts...

how would one pass time at work if shit didnt get drug into 3+ pages??:jester:

Adobedude
04-29-2010, 05:02 PM
how would one pass time at work if shit didnt get drug into 3+ pages??:jester:

We could all :rtfm:

Or not.

KicknAsphlt
04-29-2010, 08:12 PM
exactly! their is no point in dicking around with a superchips or any other tuner. you can tune your truck to run on any grade of fuel. and you cant beet the brice from hemifever.

i will never understand these guys comeing on here and wanting to mod their trucks but at the same time get good fuel economy. it wasnt all that hot from the factory and mods dont help it at all. its one or the other . . . drive it or mod it and pay a little more for fuel.

unless you have a setup that can run on the street with regular and be a total different monster at the track with race gas their is no point. why not have all the power all the time?

but thats just my two cents. i dont know i could be wrong.

kyle

Actually, if you keep your foot out of it you can actually see an improvement in fuel economy with most mods.

AMBERFIRE-DEMON
05-01-2010, 11:28 AM
that would be all fine and dandy if i built a sunday driver. but i didnt, i built it to beat the shit out of it lol :rockwoot:

kyle

dak5.9
05-01-2010, 03:04 PM
:burnout: Drive it like you stolen it!!!Pedal to the medal!!!

TurboBlew
05-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Actually, if you keep your foot out of it you can actually see an improvement in fuel economy with most mods.

did someone inject logic and economic thinking into this thread??? Blasphemy!!!

BluRT00
05-01-2010, 03:41 PM
did someone inject logic and economic thinking into this thread??? Blasphemy!!!

Yeah fucken supra owners..

KicknAsphlt
05-03-2010, 07:25 AM
Yeah fucken supra owners..

Eat it.... :finger: :nana:

BluRT00
05-03-2010, 02:35 PM
Eat it.... :finger: :nana:

Neg sir rusty Supra's taste nasty. I see one everyday rusting in my driveway. Not bad for a 20 yr old car lmfao. Give it 5 years and it will have as much rust as my 64 chevy pickup. JDM quality yo! :jester:

KicknAsphlt
05-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Neg sir rusty Supra's taste nasty. I see one everyday rusting in my driveway. Not bad for a 20 yr old car lmfao. Give it 5 years and it will have as much rust as my 64 chevy pickup. JDM quality yo! :jester:

LOL!! Yeah, the steel quality back then left something to be desired....for pretty much all cars....they're fine, until the rust starts; then you'd better stop it quick...lol.

badinfluence
05-04-2010, 04:51 AM

The only reason I can think of would be a road trip,like someone driving their Dakota from wherever to carlisle,or me driving to Florida to visit family.

BluRT00
05-04-2010, 01:51 PM
LOL!! Yeah, the steel quality back then left something to be desired....for pretty much all cars....they're fine, until the rust starts; then you'd better stop it quick...lol.

I tried to talk the kid into getting the right supplies and would even do the body work on it. Ugh, but money to him is more important for road trips and RC airplanes. I give it a few more years and the wheel wells will be completely rotted out.

KicknAsphlt
05-05-2010, 03:57 AM
I tried to talk the kid into getting the right supplies and would even do the body work on it. Ugh, but money to him is more important for road trips and RC airplanes. I give it a few more years and the wheel wells will be completely rotted out.

LMAO @ 'kid'......aren't you guys 'bout the same age????

bttlefed
05-05-2010, 04:54 AM

........... that is all I have to say.

BluRT00
05-05-2010, 02:03 PM
LMAO @ 'kid'......aren't you guys 'bout the same age????

4 yrs difference between us, cept he acts like a 17 yr old. Thus the reason I call him a kid.

BluRT00
05-05-2010, 02:04 PM
........... that is all I have to say.

Don't you have something better to do? Like go install cal-tracs or stab a cam into your block? lol