PDA

View Full Version : front main seal

bumblebee99
03-18-2010, 11:19 AM
How hard is it to change a front mail seal in an R/T?

2k1AmberR/T
03-18-2010, 12:06 PM
Oh gosh. Can you ask a more specific question? Are you really just looking for a level of difficulty (which may be skewed from one person to another, that's quite opinionated) or do you need instructions on how to do it, are we supposed to assume that your engine is complete or already torn down, etc. Throw us a bone!

Hugh Jassole
03-18-2010, 12:47 PM
Oh gosh. Can you ask a more specific question? Are you really just looking for a level of difficulty (which may be skewed from one person to another, that's quite opinionated) or do you need instructions on how to do it, are we supposed to assume that your engine is complete or already torn down, etc. Throw us a bone!

Jesus Christ ! You are a crabby sumbitch sometimes :D:jester:

2k1AmberR/T
03-18-2010, 12:56 PM
I didn't think it was too harsh? I mean really, just narrow down the question a bit. Shitty questions get shitty answers. I think changing a front seal is mindless. If that were the case there wouldn't be a reason to ask in the first place! So clearly my answer wouldn't be sufficient for this guy which is why I just said to include some details, ask a specific question. I'm willing to help if I know where he's coming from. According to his compass he must be somewhere in the Bermuda Triangle at the moment. I'm just trying to get some bearing, that's all. :woot:

Hugh Jassole
03-18-2010, 01:01 PM
sheesh, cut back on the coffee :nana::jester:

Intense RT
03-18-2010, 01:13 PM
I think you can leave the ps pump (been a while) but take the accessories off the front including water pump. Just start taking things off the front. If needed, a good repair manual will help.

-Remove crank pulley and borrow a damper puller from a parts store.
-Remove the damper (harmonic balancer).
-Remove the timing cover.
-Knock the old seal out and gently tap the new one in, going around the edge keeping it from going crooked until fully seated.
Put a good coat of oil or assembly lube on the seal.
-Reinstall timing cover.

-Check the damper hub and make sure no groove is worn into it where the seal makes contact. If there's a groove, just replace the damper. Lube/oil the damper where seal contacts it too. You don't want to start it up dry. It'll wear out the seal.
-Reinstall everything else.

kota360
03-18-2010, 02:19 PM
If you are good, you don't even have to remove the timing cover. Pop the seal out and tap the new one in. When installing the new one I always use a little Permatex gasket sealer to prevent any leakage.

Intense RT
03-18-2010, 02:49 PM
If you are good, you don't even have to remove the timing cover. Pop the seal out and tap the new one in. When installing the new one I always use a little Permatex gasket sealer to prevent any leakage.Doh. lol Yeah, you're right. I was replacing my timing chain at the time.

Being that far in, may be a good idea to check the chain anyway.

bumblebee99
03-18-2010, 07:16 PM
thanks for the help without all of the specifics, and by the way I'm not a he and not in the Bermuda triangle either

sunike32
03-18-2010, 09:11 PM
I did mine with the timing cover still installed. Piece of cake...I used a 1/2" thick square piece (maybe 3"x3"....just bigger than the gasket) of wood with a hole in the center of it and screwed it on using the crank bolt. I tried tapping the new gasket it, but it kept slipping crooked. Using the piece of wood and threading the bolt through it assured the gasket went in nice and straight.

Shade tree practice? Sure was but worked great :biggthumpup:

Intense RT
03-19-2010, 12:13 AM
I did mine with the timing cover still installed. Piece of cake...I used a 1/2" thick square piece (maybe 3"x3"....just bigger than the gasket) of wood with a hole in the center of it and screwed it on using the crank bolt. I tried tapping the new gasket it, but it kept slipping crooked. Using the piece of wood and threading the bolt through it assured the gasket went in nice and straight.

Shade tree practice? Sure was but worked great :biggthumpup:
Nothing wrong with ingenuity!:biggthumpup: