PDA

View Full Version : Roll pan - List

ddrango
03-18-2008, 07:58 AM
Which one should I get? Post pics/list of the different kinds.

jweltch
03-18-2008, 01:15 PM
http://www.dakota-durango.com/parts_rollpans.php

GoFastGray
03-18-2008, 01:45 PM
Which one should I get? Post pics/list of the different kinds.

Why are you ALWAYS asking everyone what YOU should do?? Just do a search and find what you like/don't like, prices, and go from there. If you find some that you like...type it in the search and browse through the boards for pics...

chiller2484
03-18-2008, 01:46 PM
i got the sir micheals steel rollpan for my dak a few years ago. fit perfect and looked good.

DaPurpleRT
03-18-2008, 09:57 PM
I've got the Cuda pan, though tips are non functional now, still like it:

http://a624.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/21/l_e7882c644b26573cf38eb75f4c933b87.jpg

http://b4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01012/45/38/1012518354_l.jpg

WeezyRT
03-18-2008, 10:02 PM
Dude, those American Racing RTS's looked so sick on your truck...

DaPurpleRT
03-18-2008, 10:21 PM
LOL, yeah, probably my fav. set of rims. Would look great w/ my newer bigger tires..... but I still think my next set is going to look better than em all on my truck.

PeteRT
03-18-2008, 10:24 PM
i got my pan off ebay for $80 shipped. fiberglass. just search "dakota roll pan" or something close to that and you'll see it. he sells em for 65 OBO.. i sent in an offer for 55 and he took it. came 2 or 3 weeks later, as i think they build to order. i like it... and it was cheap
pete

PeteRT
03-18-2008, 10:25 PM
I've got the Cuda pan, though tips are non functional now, still like it:

lmao!... i've heard of non-functional hood scoops... but tips? classic.

not knockin u dude- i just thought it was worth a chuckle.
pete

5.9 R/T
03-18-2008, 10:29 PM
I just bought a SS Gen I yesterday!... I like this one the most because of the shpae in the bottom... king of recalls the shape of the bottom of the doors and the body lines... and it's made out of urethane instead of fiberglass... for a bumper i prefer urethan, less likely to crak than firberglass

PeteRT
03-18-2008, 10:36 PM
for a bumper i prefer urethan, less likely to crak than firberglass

generally i agree.... but for a simple pan that's not getting open/closed etc.. i think glass will do fine.

Five9Dak
03-18-2008, 11:36 PM
I have a sir mikes, it looks great in combination with the shaved tailgate, I don't have any pics but I could upload a cell phone one later.

irbaboon
03-18-2008, 11:46 PM
SS gen 2, this was when it was on my 4dr took it off and put it on the R/T

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc65/irbaboon0315/PB300870.jpg

DaPurpleRT
03-19-2008, 12:04 AM
lmao!... i've heard of non-functional hood scoops... but tips? classic.

not knockin u dude- i just thought it was worth a chuckle.
pete

Holes in those tips are TINY. Can't round em out enough to work with 2 1/2 true dual (w/o choking it down), let alone 3" im planning.

PeteRT
03-19-2008, 02:40 AM
im no engineer... but gas expands as it gets hot right?

so... after your heads, your exhaust is cooling down all the way back to the tips. if youve got 3" of pipe from your collector all the way back to the axle, and shrink it down some- i think you'd be perfectly fine, as the same amount of gas doesn't require the same amount of space as it cools down.

i guess you could theoretically gradually taper pipes from 3" down to.. fuck i duno- 2"- and maintain the exact same pressure.

or maybe im full of shit- who knows, but worth a thought if youre bored, lol
pete

PeteRT
03-19-2008, 02:44 AM
grab a beer for this one, i copied it from somewhere.. it makes me scratch my head. its a good read tho:

I. Some Basic Exhaust Theory

Your exhaust system is designed to evacuate gases from the combustion chamber quickly and efficiently. Exhaust gases are not produced in a smooth stream; they originate in pulses. A 4-cylinder motor will have four distinct pulses per complete engine cycle, a 6-cylinder has six pules and so on. The more pulses that are produced, the more continuous the exhaust flow. Back-pressure can be loosely defined as the resistance to positive flow - in this case, the resistance to positive flow of the exhaust stream.

II. Back-pressure and Velocity

Some people operate under the misguided notion that wider pipes are more effective at clearing the combustion chamber than narrower pipes. It's not hard to see how this misconception is appealing - wider pipes have the capability to flow more air than narrower pipes. So, if they have the ability to flow more, why isn't "wider is better" a good rule of thumb for exhaust upgrades? In a word - VELOCITY. I'm sure that all of you have at one time used a garden hose without a spray nozzle on it. If you let the water run unrestricted out of the house it flows at a rather slow rate. However, if you take your finger and cover part of the opening, the water will flow out at a much much faster rate.

The astute exhaust designer knows that you must balance flow capacity with velocity. You want the exhaust gases to exit the chamber and speed along at the highest velocity possible; you want a FAST exhaust stream. If you have two exhaust pulses of equal volume, one in a 2" pipe and one in a 3" pipe, the pulse in the 2" pipe will be traveling considerably FASTER than the pulse in the 3" pipe. While it is true that the narrower the pipe, the higher the velocity of the exiting gases will be, you want make sure that the pipe is wide enough so that there is as little back-pressure as possible while simultaneously maintaining a suitable exhaust gas velocity.

Back-pressure in it's most extreme form can lead to reversion of the exhaust stream - that is to say the exhaust flows backwards, which is not good. The trick then, is to have piping that is as narrow as possible while also having as close to zero back-pressure as possible at the RPM range you want your power band to be located at. Exhaust pipe diameters are best suited to a particular RPM range. A smaller pipe diameter will produce higher exhaust velocities at a lower RPM but create unacceptably high amounts of backpressure at higher RPMs. Thus, if your power band is located within the 2-3000 RPM range you'd want a narrower pipe than you would if your power band is located within the 8-9000 RPM range.

Many engineers try to work around the RPM specific nature of pipe diameters by using setups that are capable of creating a similar effect to a change in pipe diameter on the fly. The most advanced system is Ferrari's, which consists of two exhaust paths after the header. At low RPMs, only one path is open so as to maintain exhaust velocity, but as the RPMs climbs and exhaust volume increases, the second path is opened to curb back-pressure. Since there is greater exhaust volume there is no loss in flow velocity. BMW and Nissan use a simpler and less effective method: there is a single exhaust path to the muffler; the muffler itself has two paths; one path is closed at low RPMs but both are open at higher RPMs.

III. So How Did this Myth Come to Be?

I often wonder how the myth "Hondas need backpressure" came to be. Mostly I believe it stems from a misunderstanding of what happens with the exhaust stream as pipe diameter changes. For instance, someone with a Civic decides to uprade the exhaust with 3" diameter piping. Once it's installed, the owner notices that the car seems to have lost a good bit of power throughout the power band. He makes the connections in the following manner: "My wider exhaust eliminated all back-pressure but I lost power, therefore the motor must need some back-pressure in order to make power." What he didn't realize is that he killed off all of his flow velocity by using such a ridiculously wide exhaust pipe. It would have been possible for him to achieve close to zero back-pressure with a much narrower pipe; in that way he would not have eliminated his flow velocity.

IV. So Why is Exhaust Velocity So Important?

The faster an exhaust pulse moves, the better it can scavenge out all of the gases spent during valve overlap. The guiding principles of exhaust pulse scavenging are a bit beyond the scope of this FAQ but the general idea is that a fast moving pulse creates a low pressure area behind it. This low pressure area acts as a vacuum and draws along the air behind it. A similar example would be a vehicle traveling at a high rate of speed on a dusty road. There is a low pressure area immediately behind the moving vehicle; dust particles get sucked into this low pressure area causing it to collect on the back of the vehicle. This effect is most noticeable on vans and hatchbacks which tend to create large trailing low pressure areas, giving rise to the numerous "wash me please" messages written in the thickly collected dust on the rear door(s).

VI. Conclusion

So it turns out that Hondas really don't need much backpressure; instead, they need as high a flow velocity as possible with as little back-pressure as possible.

PeteRT
03-19-2008, 02:45 AM
sorry for threadjackin...

5.9 R/T
03-19-2008, 03:03 AM
That text was very intresting to read! Made me learn a bit more on how exhaust works... Thx! :biggthumpup:

5.9 R/T
03-19-2008, 03:05 AM
So after reading this, You were wrong be saying that DaPurpleRT could connect his 'Cuda tips and not getting any problems... the velocity flow would kinda choke once at the tips if it's not high enough... Am I understanding well?

PeteRT
03-19-2008, 03:26 AM
shit, i dont know--- i can find information all day long... weather i understand it or not is something different entirely, lmao.
pete

dakota-boy
03-19-2008, 04:01 AM
back to the thread topic, i have seen a few dakotas with grant kustoms pan, and i have one im putting on my truck, it fits well, i really like it, just getting it painted

fastdodgert
03-20-2008, 12:41 AM
i got my roll pan off eBay too. the $65 dollar one. came in a few weeks. had to mess with it a little bit to get it to fit right, but other then that, a awesome roll pan for the price. comes gel coated too

fastdodgert
03-20-2008, 12:42 AM
by the way, hey dapurple, what size are those american racing RTS's

PeteRT
03-20-2008, 01:08 AM
i got my roll pan off eBay too. the $65 dollar one. came in a few weeks. had to mess with it a little bit to get it to fit right, but other then that, a awesome roll pan for the price. comes gel coated too
i havent mounted mine yet.... what'd you have to do to yours?

i was thinking id mound it with some bolts along the lip- and make some kinda small bracket to keep the middle from flappin around.
pete

DaPurpleRT
03-20-2008, 05:07 AM
by the way, hey dapurple, what size are those american racing RTS's

They were 20x8.5 IIRC

fastdodgert
03-20-2008, 05:09 PM
i mounted it on the sides, you cant mount it on the lip because you wont be able to open your tailgate. i cut the lip off almost completely. i just mounted it on the sides. theres already two holes on each side on the panel so it makes it easy to mount. the roll pans are a little warped like you said, so mount on side at a time, cause your gonna have to twist it a little. and i made a bracket for the middle out of some scrap metal and mounted it behind the license plate and to the spare tire mount. and still with all that i can barely open my tailgate, but i think its worth it to save some $$$. it looks good once its on, ive been meaning to get some pics up, ill try and take some today