PDA

View Full Version : drop/lowering kits

fastdodgert
03-17-2008, 05:29 AM
what kits or combinations have y'all used, i want to drop my truck 3 in the front and 5 in the rear

tcuillier
03-17-2008, 05:45 AM
what kits or combinations have y'all used, i want to drop my truck 3 in the front and 5 in the rear

You'll need a c-notch to do 5" in the rear.

Tom

fastdodgert
03-17-2008, 05:49 AM
really? damn i can do it, but really dont want to lol

tcuillier
03-17-2008, 06:04 AM
really? damn i can do it, but really dont want to lol

Technically, you can do about 5' without a c-notch, but your axel will right up against the frame! These things don't have a lot of travel, front or back.

Tom

fastdodgert
03-17-2008, 04:24 PM
what about 3 inch leafs and 2 inch blocks, or 2 inch leafs with 3 inch blocks?

WeezyRT
03-17-2008, 04:51 PM

Id stay away from blocks...maybe a 1'', I wouldnt do a bigger block than that though.

You could do a shackle/hanger kit in the rear.

tcuillier
03-17-2008, 05:26 PM

No matter how you lower the rear, it places the rear axle closer to the frame, that's the problem. Anything over 3", BEGS for a c-notch, unless you like riding a "brick". Without a c-notch, the ride is best described as brutal.

Tom

WeezyRT
03-17-2008, 05:49 PM
Yea, I agree...4'' drop or more, you want to get a c-notch. My buddy did a 4'' and was squishing the bump stops. The ride was indeed brutal until he did a c-notch.

tcuillier
03-17-2008, 06:28 PM
Yea, I agree...4'' drop or more, you want to get a c-notch. My buddy did a 4'' and was squishing the bump stops. The ride was indeed brutal until he did a c-notch.

Mine is only lowered 1.5" in the rear, with short custom (3/4") bumpstops. If I put any weight in the bed at all, I hit the stops regularly. I've also ridden in a Dakota (not an R/T) that had been dropped 4" in the rear---NOT a fun ride! Funny thing, the guy that owned the Dakota thought it was cool the way it bounced down the road!

Tom

Swashbuckle
03-17-2008, 09:00 PM
What did you use to lower your truck Tom? I like the stance that you're truck has.

PeteRT
03-17-2008, 11:06 PM
i have adjustable hangars to lower my rear. when i use the 3" holes the axle sits on the stock bump stops just barely. you could probably get away with 3" if you remove the stock stops and put some pancake style ones in... with some stiff ass shocks. my pic below is with the hangars at 2.5- but keep in mind the rear tires are 29.75" tall.
pete

fastdodgert
03-18-2008, 01:43 AM
would you have to take the bed off to install the hangers

tcuillier
03-18-2008, 03:01 AM
What did you use to lower your truck Tom? I like the stance that you're truck has.

I went the cheap route!---cut stock coils in front (about 1 1/4" drop) and 1 1/2" steel blocks on the rear. I used Energy Suspension short urethane bump stops front and rear. Pretty conservative actually, but it rides almost like stock. Of course, make sure you have the front aligned afterward. My last truck was a '77 Chev short box that was really in the weeds. Even with a c-notch, it rode and handled like crap. It looked cool, but wasn't fun to drive at all. I'm real happy with the way the R/T rides and handles. I would still like to find a set of Hotchkiss sways.

Tom

RTdingo7
03-18-2008, 11:38 AM
Go with Hotchkis TVS system & the bilsteins, ride and handling are unreal, not the cheapest but once you've done it you wont need to mess with suspension again IMO. Cheers (pic taken before Hotchkis install) :goodluck:

Swashbuckle
03-18-2008, 12:13 PM
I went the cheap route!---cut stock coils in front (about 1 1/4" drop) and 1 1/2" steel blocks on the rear. I used Energy Suspension short urethane bump stops front and rear. Pretty conservative actually, but it rides almost like stock. Of course, make sure you have the front aligned afterward. My last truck was a '77 Chev short box that was really in the weeds. Even with a c-notch, it rode and handled like crap. It looked cool, but wasn't fun to drive at all. I'm real happy with the way the R/T rides and handles. I would still like to find a set of Hotchkiss sways.

Tom

That may have been the cheap route but that is exactly what I'm looking for, and it looks amazing too.

Thanks.

PeteRT
03-19-2008, 02:47 AM
would you have to take the bed off to install the hangers

no.. but i do suggest an air chisel.. the drivers side is a motherfucker. the gas tank is in the way. worth the hassle imo- i was never a fan of blocks.
pete

fastdodgert
03-19-2008, 04:07 AM
why does everyone not like blocks? i mean what are the negatives?

tcuillier
03-19-2008, 04:17 AM
why does everyone not like blocks? i mean what are the negatives?

I haven't experienced any down side so far, and they've been installed for over 3 years. Granted, I don't drive a ton of miles per year. But, I expected severe "axle-wrap" with the resulting "wheel hop" with slicks at the track, but it just hasn't happened. I have steel blocks. I would certainly stay away from the aluminum and zinc cast blocks. They have a tendency to disintegrate with normal use. Originally, I had intended to use the blocks as a temporary solution and down the road replace with lowering shackle kits. But I'm so happy with the blocks now, that I don't see any reason to change.

Tom