PDA

View Full Version : '99 and flx-180 fan install advice?

Intense RT
03-14-2008, 04:11 AM
Gonna be ordering one soon and though the kit sounds complete, for a '99 is there anything else I should get? I'm wondering how the temp sensor is going to need to be installed (where) and I should be able to just squeeze the fan in front of the wp. Also I'm aware that it will be a tight fit and the brackets may need to be modified or make new ones, right?

One last thing, best way to break loose that damn fan clutch nut? Counterclock-wise, right? Advance's loaner tool fit too loose on it last time I changed the timing chain. I was gonna replace the pump while I was there but had to put the fan and pump back in together after trying to fight with it. I didn't want to round the edges off. Thanks all!

tcuillier
03-14-2008, 04:18 AM
All I did with my '99, was put a large crescent wrench on the fan nut, smack the handle of the wrench in a counter-clockwise direction. Came loose first try.

Tom

Intense RT
03-14-2008, 08:35 PM
This time I have a crescent wrench that should fit. I'll give that a try.

Any suggestions on the Black Magic fan all?

tcuillier
03-14-2008, 08:45 PM
I don't have any experience with the black magic. I put a Viper fan on mine.

Tom

gokota
03-15-2008, 03:18 AM
Let know how the install goes, I'm thinking about installing the same fan. The cheapeast price I have found on them http://moesperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=857_858&products_id=15

Intense RT
03-16-2008, 01:49 AM
Let know how the install goes, I'm thinking about installing the same fan. The cheapeast price I have found on them http://moesperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=857_858&products_id=15

Thanks for the link man! $250's a better price than Summit's $306.~ Now I'll just have Summit price match it, get there good shipping price and be all the better. It will probably be a couple weeks before I can order it, waiting on some money I have coming in. I'll take some pics, but I'll probably have to stop and ask some q's on here or delphi. Not the best electrical guru.

gokota
03-16-2008, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the link man! $250's a better price than Summit's $306.~ Now I'll just have Summit price match it, get there good shipping price and be all the better. It will probably be a couple weeks before I can order it, waiting on some money I have coming in. I'll take some pics, but I'll probably have to stop and ask some q's on here or delphi. Not the best electrical guru.

I know it's hard to beat Summits delivery time/customer service but Moe's Performance does support Steve's Dakota Durango site. I think it might be good to support a business that supports our sites even if it cost a little more.

Jim

Intense RT
03-21-2008, 01:05 AM
Bump!

Lowdown
04-17-2008, 08:23 PM
How did it work out? Pics?

sunike32
04-17-2008, 10:41 PM
I'm curious as well. Looking to do this on my 99 before long.

Intense RT
04-18-2008, 07:39 PM
It worked great! Everything fit with plenty of room. Sorry, don't have a camera (waiting on movers to bring house goods). Just moved to Houston from Ky. If anyone is in the area and want's to see. Just reply in this thread or PM me.

Lowdown
04-19-2008, 12:23 AM
there is going to be some good racing next weekend. you can look on the regions and look for the south.

Lowdown
04-19-2008, 02:21 PM
Did you go to the track Friday night?

grapejuice1998
04-19-2008, 04:49 PM
Gonna be ordering one soon and though the kit sounds complete, for a '99 is there anything else I should get? I'm wondering how the temp sensor is going to need to be installed (where) and I should be able to just squeeze the fan in front of the wp. Also I'm aware that it will be a tight fit and the brackets may need to be modified or make new ones, right?

One last thing, best way to break loose that damn fan clutch nut? Counterclock-wise, right? Advance's loaner tool fit too loose on it last time I changed the timing chain. I was gonna replace the pump while I was there but had to put the fan and pump back in together after trying to fight with it. I didn't want to round the edges off. Thanks all!

I used to have a Flexalite 220, dual 12" puller setup on my '98. It worked well enough, considering that I live in N. Texas and have to run A/C in traffic. I put the sensor in the corner of the radiator cooling fins, right at the top corner, under the rubber apron thingy. Later on, I moved it into the water, right at the neck where it goes into the radiator. You fold it back into the neck 180, then run a few courses of tape around the neck, to blend the wire in to where it will seal with the hose clamp.

Intense RT
04-21-2008, 06:52 PM
Did you go to the track Friday night?I went to HMP Friday night. Best pass was 2.07 60ft, 9.09 ET at 76.45mph.:rockwoot:

Lowdown
04-21-2008, 07:22 PM
That was you I met. I'm the one with the 2002 camaro.

Rigeldust
04-21-2008, 08:30 PM
It worked great! Everything fit with plenty of room. Sorry, don't have a camera (waiting on movers to bring house goods). Just moved to Houston from Ky. If anyone is in the area and want's to see. Just reply in this thread or PM me.

Where in Houston??? I need to do this to. I HATE HATE HATE the fan clutch.
Im in the Woodlands.

Intense RT
04-21-2008, 10:12 PM
That was you I met. I'm the one with the 2002 camaro. Hey, yeah I remember. I didn't leave til 11:45 or so. Everyone wanted to get in the staging lanes at the last minute. Can you get me that info about Sealy(sp?) I like to come out if I can, just got a full time job and going to school too. Not sure.

PM if you don't mind.

Intense RT
04-21-2008, 10:13 PM
Where in Houston??? I need to do this to. I HATE HATE HATE the fan clutch.
Im in the Woodlands.Still new to town, so not sure where Woodlands is but I live just off Antoine on Westview in some apartments. You can PM me too if you'd like to see what I did to put the fan in. The fan came with all the wiring you'll need. I do plan to eventually put in a manual-on switch to turn it on when I want.

Lowdown
04-22-2008, 02:30 AM
PM sent

Intense RT
03-23-2009, 04:52 AM
Black Magic 180 xtreme Fan install pics...

Sunike32 asked for them so I thought I post them up for anyone who may be going this route. So far, living a year in Houston, no problems but I don't have AC. It works great for me. Just used the supplied hardware and wiring and got my 12v source with a tap crimped on and plugged into fuse box on side of dash.

The base bracket is attached by carefully measuring the spacing for the hole on the existing bracket that's supplied. Mock everything up before you drill the holes to get the self tapping screw started. This mock up will help, trust me. Get your top bracket that hangs over radiator core adjusted properly, mark your location, disassemble enough to remove and drill your holes. There may be a couple things I'm forgetting because it's been a year so take your time. I'd suggest cleaning it some and using a permanent marker so you can see better. Hope this helps and ignore my engine bay please, gravel parking lot everyday at school. Later

Fltlander
03-24-2009, 08:58 PM
$224.99 Free shipping.
http://dakotapartz.com/engine/coolng/bm180.html

Intense RT
03-25-2009, 02:36 AM
Good find. I think I paid $250 which was a good price at the time.