PDA

View Full Version : Got a bit of a problem I think...

blownRT
01-29-2010, 06:33 PM
Ok i bought a 98 dakota r/t cc a few months ago.. when i test drove it and after i bought it i noticed it shifted pretty firm. i believe that the truck might have a tune on it from a handheld or something. the reason i believe this is because after i bought it the tranny went out on me and had it rebuilt and i still shifted very firm. i want to buy a sct but when i plug it in i dont want it to pick up those settings as stock .. i want the stock settings as stock. would i have to change the computer to get my stock settings back?

grapejuice1998
01-29-2010, 07:05 PM
Ok i bought a 98 dakota r/t cc a few months ago.. when i test drove it and after i bought it i noticed it shifted pretty firm. i believe that the truck might have a tune on it from a handheld or something. the reason i believe this is because after i bought it the tranny went out on me and had it rebuilt and i still shifted very firm. i want to buy a sct but when i plug it in i dont want it to pick up those settings as stock .. i want the stock settings as stock. would i have to change the computer to get my stock settings back?

If you tune it with SCT, it doesn't matter if it's been tuned with a hand held. You will be altering the data either way.

And I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think any of the tuners can do much to the transmission. If it shifts firm, that's a good thing.

Adobedude
01-29-2010, 07:20 PM
If you tune it with SCT, it doesn't matter if it's been tuned with a hand held. You will be altering the data either way.

And I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think any of the tuners can do much to the transmission. If it shifts firm, that's a good thing.

Superchips can firm up the shifts a little. But I agree a firm shift is good.
The SCT saves the existing tune as the stock tune whatever it is, and overwrites it with a new tune.

My "stock" tune is the last POS B&G tune I had....Like I'd ever go back to that.

blownRT
01-29-2010, 08:03 PM
I know he firmness is good but when I get the act tuner whenever I ug it in I want it to pick up the actual stock settings .. How do I get the stock settings back kn the truck ?? Change the computer??

grapejuice1998
01-29-2010, 10:00 PM
I know he firmness is good but when I get the act tuner whenever I ug it in I want it to pick up the actual stock settings .. How do I get the stock settings back kn the truck ?? Change the computer??

Why do you insist on the stock settings, when SCT will be able to alter them however you want?

If you just have to do it that way, then yes. You need a new PCM.

EDIT:
There's also a chance that the stock settings are available through Hemifever, who does a lot of the SCT tuning around here. He does it via e mail.