PDA

View Full Version : What's the best sounding Muffler?

SleepeR/T
03-13-2008, 04:24 AM
Forgive me, I don't have tons of cash laying around. I have a stock 99, R/T and am saving some $$ to put into it. Until then I'd at least like to bump up the sound. What is a good sounding muffler I can put on in place of the stock can? Eventually I plan to buy some spintech headers and y pipe. Thanks

bad360rt
03-13-2008, 05:38 AM
The spintechs sound good. I like Magnaflows better tho, lil deeper sound. I'll be using Dynomax Ultraflows on my new setup, they sound good too :) Some folks like the Aerochambers, some like Flowmaster, it's one of those subjective things, different strokes for different folks.

uwntsumrtII
03-13-2008, 06:10 AM
i second the Dynomax Ultra-Flows. i had them on my old setup. nice deep and mellow at idle and spoke there mind at WOT. now i have a 4" diesel Magnaflow :biggthumpup:

RTdingo7
03-13-2008, 11:56 AM
"Magnaflows" all the way! great sound :hail: :biggthumpup:

Rtspeeddemon
03-13-2008, 01:10 PM
I use to run a Magnaflow and loved it but when I redid my exhaust last year I switched to the Flowmaster Super 40's and love them even more.

krusty_R/T
03-13-2008, 02:25 PM
Aerochambers all the way!!! They are reasonably priced as well

mtlcafan79
03-13-2008, 02:51 PM
I have dual 18" magnaflows and cats on mine and it's still pretty rowdy when you get on it. Previously had Spintechs. Both of my trucks went from the spintechs to Magnaflows. Spintechs gave me a headache on the highway.

jweltch
03-13-2008, 03:19 PM
The Dak has the full spintech system (headers, mufflers, dual-exhaust) and sounds pretty good. I don't know how the spintech mufflers would sound on an otherwise stock system. Shortly after I bought the Dak I installed a Gibson catback and it wasn't much of a difference - maybe a few db's over stock and that's it.

My Durango's exhaust is all stock and it's got a Magnaflow on it. It sounds good as well. Not quite as aggressive sounding as the Spintech's, but a much deeper tone.

My opinion is that you're going to have to listen to different trucks with different exhausts and make your own decision.

I hate Flowmasters.

mtlcafan79
03-13-2008, 03:22 PM
Funny, I think that Flows sounded the best at idle of anything I've had. They had the most bass by far.

SleepeR/T
03-13-2008, 03:25 PM
Thanks I'll have to go check some magnaflows out.

mtlcafan79
03-13-2008, 03:26 PM
I have a video of the 18" Magnaflows on my truck. I'm waiting for them to burn in some and then I'll post two videos to show how the sound changes on them after a while.

bad360rt
03-13-2008, 05:38 PM
I use to run a Magnaflow and loved it but when I redid my exhaust last year I switched to the Flowmaster Super 40's and love them even more.

Switch back to Magnaflows and I bet you'd hit 600rwhp :biggthumpup:

Funny, I think that Flows sounded the best at idle of anything I've had. They had the most bass by far.

I love the sound of Flowmasters, always have, just wish they didn't rob so much hp.

NICKELEYE_RT
03-13-2008, 05:48 PM
i had a flowmaster before and now I have magnaflow.. I prefer the magnaflow.

RTdingo7
03-13-2008, 06:33 PM
For Magnaflows and a good price http://www.performancepeddler.com/brandpage.asp :goodluck:

Rtspeeddemon
03-13-2008, 07:43 PM
Switch back to Magnaflows and I bet you'd hit 600rwhp :biggthumpup:

I love the sound of Flowmasters, always have, just wish they didn't rob so much hp.

Hmm hard to say I know Redline has them on every performance street vehicle in the shop pratically. Even the twin turbo vette that produced 1060 rwhp runs them.

bad360rt
03-13-2008, 08:02 PM
Hmm hard to say I know Redline has them on every performance street vehicle in the shop pratically. Even the twin turbo vette that produced 1060 rwhp runs them.

Have they ever done any comparisons? Guys on Moparts have seen 30+rwhp gains by switching from Flowmasters to straight thru mufflers. I'm sure it depends on the setup as well.

rattler360
03-13-2008, 09:45 PM
i had a custom mbrp muffler, a stainless super 40, i have a magaflow for last 6yrs

sicknasty360
03-14-2008, 01:25 AM
alright so what is the best muffler for performance, something that your going to get the mose horsepower out of?

geo2slow4u
03-14-2008, 04:44 PM
I always liked the spintech sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXc86PNJiag

hskr
03-14-2008, 11:15 PM
i second the Dynomax Ultra-Flows. i had them on my old setup. nice deep and mellow at idle and spoke there mind at WOT. now i have a 4" diesel Magnaflow :biggthumpup:

If his exhaust is stock, then he already has a Dynomax Ultraflow. That's what the '98 and '99 R/Ts came with from the factory.

Fltlander
03-15-2008, 02:19 AM
What is the best Spintech muffler?? Spintech Pro Street?? Model #???

Adobedude
03-15-2008, 02:24 AM
I had 2.5 Spintechs, changed it out for 18" straight through 3" Magnaflows...Love em.

Quiet at low RPM, but open up like crazy at full throttle.

Perfect.

hskr
03-15-2008, 03:57 AM
I have th Sport truck/SUV 54xx series on mine and love it. http://www.dropshots.com/froglove#date/2006-12-01/16:40:38

Five9Dak
03-15-2008, 05:59 AM
Another vote for the magnaflows. They are nice and deep. At idle they are relatively quite in the cab, but authoritative outside with a well defined pulsing. Cruising and light throttle they are deep and powerful sounding. At WOT they absolutely scream. They are the best all around souding muffler IMO. Do duals with twin 14 inch mufflers, you won't be dissapointed.

Intense RT
03-16-2008, 01:54 AM
I like my dynomax X muffler. Quiet rumble (subjective, some say too loud), and use gas pedal for volume :). The low frequencies carry right through the house though.

fastdodgert
03-18-2008, 02:15 AM
i have no mufflers and high flow cats....what can i say i like it LOUD

Moparornocar00
03-24-2008, 03:30 AM
dynomax bullets. Cheap, loud and sound badass

99R/TMan
03-25-2008, 03:58 PM
here are 2 clips of my entire spintech setup, headers back. remember this is a digital camera videoing so not the best.

http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/t...Headers009.flv
http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/t140/aarondray/truck/?action=view&current=AaronHeaders010.flv

99BarneyRT
03-27-2008, 03:02 PM
I have dual 50 series deltaflows on mine and they are LOUD. But, I get a butt load of compliments and nods. This is on a true dual system with H pipe and heavily built motor.

The MagnaFlows that i've heard on V8s sound like import trash. All sound like grapefruit shotgun civics. Now, if they do sound good, especially on modded and dualed...I sure haven't seen/heard it.

Dynomax UF are nice too. haven't used the Super Turbos, but some like them as well.

Spintechs...no. I dunno, but at idle they rock, on the gas it sounds like the internals are full of loose nuts and rattling around.

Again, just from what i've heard locally and online.

hskr
03-28-2008, 02:02 AM
Spintechs...no. I dunno, but at idle they rock, on the gas it sounds like the internals are full of loose nuts and rattling around.

Again, just from what i've heard locally and online.

Some people, including myself have experienced the internal baffles on the early Spintechs having the welds break loose and causing this rattling sound you describe. My current Spintech doesn't sound anything like that.

And personally, I've never heard a Flowmaster on a Dodge vehicle that I thought sounded good. Sure, they were loud, and everybody knows you are running a Flowmaster, but not what I thought sounded good. Too much metallic cackling sound to them.

99BarneyRT
03-28-2008, 05:00 PM
I'll admit Brian, all my dealings with Spintech are when they originally came out. Guess they've changed-but no idea on sound today. Same could be said with MBRP...most RT'ers in the day (including myself) went with the first group buy with roll pans and a year or so later the internals came apart.
As for FlowMasters...I run true duals on mine no cats and I think it sounds good. http://www.sincityrt.com/videos3.php (Tanky). But lately, I've gotten older and the deep loud tone and the the lack to have a conversation in my truck at ANY RPM level except 0 [aka OFF] has taken its toll on me. But, I'm unwilling to put cats on it to go backwards on HP. So I make due with the loudness.
But, all the FM I've heard tend to sound the worst in X pipe configurations. I recently had to go to an H pipe with I went to LT headers...too much flow. Ever hear a Mustang with FM and an X pipe? OMG makes you wanna kill the muffler shop and never drive it again!

hskr
03-29-2008, 02:17 AM
Here's my single 3" with PPH headers, gutted cat, and 5444 Spintech muffler. I used my digital camera so didn't know how much time I had, and never have been a big fan of revving the motor in park for exhaust sound.

http://www.dropshots.com/froglove#date/2006-12-01/16:40:38

The exhaust actually got quieter on my truck with the new motor. Less in cab drone. You can't hear it very much at 2K RPM cruising at 60mph. At least not inside the truck.

NightmareR/T
05-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Well, I have Borla's on my truck, the same ones that Borla offers for Mustangs in their Stinger Systems. I like them because, at idle they are quiet in the cab, then when you walk around outside of the truck, it is a bit louder and you can hear the pulses of the exhaust a lot better. The muffler is basically a stright-through design with baffles in the walls of the mufflers. They do create a lot of very deep drone in the low rpm's, but as soon as you do a WOT, they get extremely loud, much like an open-header loud (but quieter), but still sounds awesome.

I have JM's LT's with no cats, and an X-pipe style. I love them, and they definiately have a unique sound to them. I just got sick and tired of hearing all those Chevy trucks in my area having SlowMasters on them and sound just horrible. SlowMasters need to stay on the 5.0 Stangs. I got the idea of going with the Borlas because my brothers car is an 02 GT with the Borlas and an X/H pipe style on it with no cats and it sounds great. Another friend also had it on his 03 cobra, with the same combo as my brothers and it sounded even better, but then he changed it to an X-pipe style and it just got raspy sounding and much louder.

04STAMPEDE/RC
05-10-2008, 02:19 AM
i've got a 1 chamber race flowmaster for my truck it sounds sweeet its loud and i don't even have dual lines just one dump at the rear axle!!! heres a link

http://flowmastermufflers.com/10_race.html

ScatDak
05-10-2008, 01:25 PM
Dyno Max Race Bullet

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7HDQfjsr4Hs

QwikKota
05-10-2008, 06:40 PM
Forgive me, I don't have tons of cash laying around. I have a stock 99, R/T and am saving some $$ to put into it. Until then I'd at least like to bump up the sound. What is a good sounding muffler I can put on in place of the stock can? Eventually I plan to buy some spintech headers and y pipe. Thanks

Borla or bust!

01_dakota_r/t
05-20-2008, 05:38 AM
after reading some of these i wanted to add when i bought my truck back in Sept it had spintech. i also noticed the headaches on trips. now that they are gone i haven't noticed the headache's. and i also have a rattling noise. we cannot figure out what it is but it is loud and embarrassing.
i was wondering what kind of exhaust would sound good so i was reading this. my old dakota sounded good just idling through town. sounded GREAT when you were up to speed and jumped out of the gas. Damn it sounded great but i don't know what was on it but i would love to have something like that on the R/T. what would be good for that? and just wanted to add the old plain dakota sounded better than my dads R/T with his flowmaster. :rockwoot: that's all that mattered. now his sounds better with a p*ssy chevy :bs: