PDA

View Full Version : Rear drop...how far 'til it rides like crap?

Intense RT
12-28-2009, 02:17 AM
I'm at 3/4" in the back right now. Is there a number I want to stay under so I'm not hitting the stock bumpstops? I'm thinking I may need to go to a 1.5" block .

PeteRT
12-28-2009, 03:45 AM
i still have the stock bumps in the back of mine... with the adjustable hangars, 3" rests the drivers side and the passenger side has a red c-hair gap. i believe it's in the 2.5" hole right now and i have a little bit of room both sides. rides like shit, but eh.... i suppose i should put pancakes in one day...

a 1.5 block added to the .75 you have now should be fine.... but like me, you'll probably want to put some shorter stops in eventually.
pete

Intense RT
12-28-2009, 04:00 AM
i still have the stock bumps in the back of mine... with the adjustable hangars, 3" rests the drivers side and the passenger side has a red c-hair gap. i believe it's in the 2.5" hole right now and i have a little bit of room both sides. rides like shit, but eh.... i suppose i should put pancakes in one day...

a 1.5 block added to the .75 you have now should be fine.... but like me, you'll probably want to put some shorter stops in eventually.
peteIt'll only be a total of 1.5" as I'll swap blocks with another 2" block that is cut down/milled. Sounds like it'll be ok then. Thanks:biggthumpup:

BTW, does NAPA sell some longer U bolts?

sunike32
12-28-2009, 10:05 PM
I have Hotchkis leaf springs and a 1" block. I have stock bump stops in the rear, but I think the previous owner cut them a bit. I want to try some pancake stops back there in the spring, but I think a c-notch would be best. Time will tell...

PeteRT
12-28-2009, 10:58 PM
It'll only be a total of 1.5" as I'll swap blocks with another 2" block that is cut down/milled. Sounds like it'll be ok then. Thanks:biggthumpup:

no idea on the ubolts. i would just take one to the local farm supply store and go thru their bins.
pete

sunike32
12-28-2009, 11:30 PM
It'll only be a total of 1.5" as I'll swap blocks with another 2" block that is cut down/milled. Sounds like it'll be ok then. Thanks:biggthumpup:

Yes, NAPA does sell longer u-bolts. However, I got mine through a local suspension business.

7zark7
12-30-2009, 06:03 PM
Pancake stops?
I have the Htchkis springs in the reat too and it feels like I hitthe bumpstops when I hit certain bumps. Do these pancake stops replace the stock bumpstops?

99408kotar/t
01-02-2010, 06:37 AM
yes. i actually made some bump stops out of rubber conveyor belt. its about an 1 1/2'' thick. i really think im gonna do a c notch though because i still hit alot. hotchkis with plates removed and 2'' block

2k1AmberR/T
01-02-2010, 07:20 AM
If you actually drive the truck on the street I wouldn't go any more than about 3" lower in the back without doing a c-notch if I were you. I just have Hotchkis leaf springs (and bump stops) which are apparently a 3 inch drop but I still hit the bump stops quite a bit. I wouldn't mind having a c-notch right now to be honest. If I go any lower I'll definitely be ordering a bolt in notch kit.

99408kotar/t
01-02-2010, 01:26 PM
how hard is it to do the bolt in c notch? casnt be as easy as just bolting it in. there has to be some cutting of the frame right?

Addicted2Blue00
01-02-2010, 02:39 PM
my opinion on stock setup 5" with 28" tire and 6-7" with a 26-27" tire, im runnin a 28" on 5" drop and im sittin on bumpstops which is a lil rough but i dont want to cut them shorter to have more travel since it may be too low in the rear then, ill be goin to a 26-27" tire and raisin the rear .5" which will give it around 1-2" travel and ill be happy considerin the rear wont have so much to squat off the line and still be good on crappy roads

Intense RT
01-02-2010, 04:57 PM
my opinion on stock setup 5" with 28" tire and 6-7" with a 26-27" tire, im runnin a 28" on 5" drop and im sittin on bumpstops which is a lil rough but i dont want to cut them shorter to have more travel since it may be too low in the rear then, ill be goin to a 26-27" tire and raisin the rear .5" which will give it around 1-2" travel and ill be happy considerin the rear wont have so much to squat off the line and still be good on crappy roadsDon't forget, you don't want the rear to go down enough to hit the bump stops on launch. You don't want the rear bouncing of the bumpstops and unloading the tires.

2k1AmberR/T
01-02-2010, 11:14 PM
how hard is it to do the bolt in c notch? casnt be as easy as just bolting it in. there has to be some cutting of the frame right?

Are you serious? :jester:

ThundeR/T
01-03-2010, 02:42 AM
Are you serious?:jester: do you have anything positive to say at all?...cnotches always require frame cutting..there was that so hard 2k1?

SB440R/T
01-03-2010, 03:13 AM

http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d197/Davidsalazar03/Truck

Page 3 and 4. A little over kill yes, but worth it. One of the best mods done to my truck and all I had was Hotchkis. Noticeable difference.

2k1AmberR/T
01-03-2010, 05:27 AM
do you have anything positive to say at all?...cnotches always require frame cutting..there was that so hard 2k1?

I don't know why you're such an internet tough guy thinking that you're from Jersey so you're superior. I'm not a dumb shit as you originally claimed prior to editing your post, in fact I've been driving my dakota r/t as my only vehicle lowered with the Hotchkis TVS for the past 5-6 years and think my opinion on what needs a c-notch and what doesn't is worth something otherwise I wouldn't have chimed in on this thread. If you don't think that's worth anything YOU are the one that doesn't need to reply.

Original post from ThundeR/T: "if you have nothing to say dont say it at all you dumb sh*t"

jmont11890
01-03-2010, 05:41 AM
i have a 2" block in the back of my truck and it used to hit the bump stops all the time. i trimmed them down due to that.

ThundeR/T
01-03-2010, 06:46 AM
2k1 like i said before if you were in front of me it would be a totally different story. im not hear to argue with anyone,you just have alot of negative comments

99408kotar/t
01-03-2010, 06:47 AM
I don't know why you're such an internet tough guy thinking that you're from Jersey so you're superior. I'm not a dumb shit as you originally claimed prior to editing your post, in fact I've been driving my dakota r/t as my only vehicle lowered with the Hotchkis TVS for the past 5-6 years and think my opinion on what needs a c-notch and what doesn't is worth something otherwise I wouldn't have chimed in on this thread. If you don't think that's worth anything YOU are the one that doesn't need to reply.

Original post from ThundeR/T: "if you have nothing to say dont say it at all you dumb sh*t"

at least he answered my question. i read somehwhere where someone said bolt in c notch. i didnt further read into it. i know you cant just bolt them in. being that you have to cut a ''c-notch'' into the frame. it was a worded poorly i admit. thanks dakotartguy and thunderr/t for answering my question without sarcasm. do you have problems with your rear tires rubbing the fender now? i look at my gap and think if i put in a cnotch i would have rubbing problems with my rear tires

ThundeR/T
01-03-2010, 06:54 AM
i have 3"steel blocks on my truck and had no problem rubbing the tires just when i throw my r6 in the back it likes to lay on the axle tube..its not a bad ride but i dont like the fact it sits on it.if you want it low then yea you need a notch but im not one to be hacking up the frame unless you get someone that can weld good then id say yea go for it.i was thinking of helper springs but that would be a stiffer ride .... im lowered 3" on djm drop arms in the front and i rub the fenderwells very very little and the ride isnt bad

Addicted2Blue00
01-03-2010, 11:19 AM
Don't forget, you don't want the rear to go down enough to hit the bump stops on launch. You don't want the rear bouncing of the bumpstops and unloading the tires.
tell ya the truth ive never had that problem and i sit on mine alot, alot of ppl have watched my launches and when i take off the rear barely squats and stays low til i let off, no bounce problems, it still acts the same as i dropped it before when it had space between the axle and bumpstops with same 60fts

SB440R/T
01-03-2010, 01:52 PM
tell ya the truth ive never had that problem and i sit on mine alot, alot of ppl have watched my launches and when i take off the rear barely squats and stays low til i let off, no bounce problems, it still acts the same as i dropped it before when it had space between the axle and bumpstops with same 60fts

There is no doubt your truck rides like shit is you have an inch between your axle and the bump stop. You would be surprised what a C notch would do for you. And what are your 60 foot times?

Addicted2Blue00
01-03-2010, 01:55 PM
There is no doubt your truck rides like shit is you have an inch between your axle and the bump stop. You would be surprised what a C notch would do for you. And what are your 60 foot times?
once i get shorter tires itll give me a hair more room but ill also raise it .5"

60fts have never changed no mater where it sits, always been 2.20s with my old v6 and pegleg, 2.3-2.4s with the 360 n 9.25 lsd

SB440R/T
01-03-2010, 01:55 PM
do you have problems with your rear tires rubbing the fender now? i look at my gap and think if i put in a cnotch i would have rubbing problems with my rear tires

I never rub and I run 275/40/19 tires back there that are pretty much flush with the fender.

SB440R/T
01-03-2010, 01:58 PM
once i get shorter tires itll give me a hair more room but ill also raise it .5"

60fts have never changed no mater where it sits, always been 2.20s with my old v6 and pegleg, 2.3-2.4s with the 360 n 9.25 lsd

You should be able to hit 2.0 or 2.1's with your 360, especially in a RC.

Unless you are in Corrales New Mexico and your DA is really bad, haha.

2k1AmberR/T
01-03-2010, 08:50 PM
Unless you are in Corrales New Mexico and your DA is really bad, haha.

Haha, you're in the clear now. Dave doesn't even feel like he has to reply with his DA speech now. :biggthumpup: