PDA

View Full Version : Just a thought

03DakR/T
12-10-2009, 04:24 PM
this is probably not going to happen, i was just wondering if there was anyone on here that thinks this would be an good idea. How hard/possible would it be for this club to come out with a magazine? i think it would be kick ass, and it would definitly expose our trucks to the world a little bit more. i get sick of folks seeing my truck, telling me they like it, but then askin, so what, is it a V6? no dumbass read the tailgate. lol. but i just thought it would be cool if we could get a R/T dak mag out there, you dont see these trucks much in mopar mag, or anything else. it would be a way for the club to make some money as well, for events and such. just an idea, i would love to see it happen.

Bos-R/T
12-10-2009, 04:28 PM
I know the feeling. Everywhere I go everybody comments me on my paint,flames. Then they say to bad its not a V8. I have no emblems or stickers. So im like WTF! Im sitting in my truck with it idleing and its lopeing like crazy and I say "have you ever heard a V6 sound like this"? And they say "I thought it was just running bad" . So I leave out of there sideways. Fucking morons.

mtlcafan79
12-10-2009, 04:30 PM
Well the club used to have a newsletter. Unfortunately there isn't even enough interest/dedication to get that out the door. With Sport Truck and whoever else closing down their rags, I don't see this as being a good time to start something new in such a limited market.

rattler360
12-10-2009, 09:20 PM
id like to do a book on the history of the dakota, focusing on the special models like the shelbys, convertibles, rts. the one offs like the rad rides, hemi dakota, mopars sidewinder concept, the banks sidewinder dakota etc.

BluRT00
12-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Only way it would make it, is if we have naked women on the trucks. Maybe naked women doing nasty things on them too? LOL

wyotech_cuda440
12-11-2009, 10:26 PM
Only way it would make it, is if we have naked women on the trucks. Maybe naked women doing nasty things on them too? LOL

You have my full attention!!! :biggthumpup::jester:

Intense RT
12-11-2009, 11:15 PM
Petersen publishing, which basically owns ALL the mags, is a sinking ship. No way in hell an R/T mag would make it.

I'm kinda upset that the Dakota RT gets practically nonexistant coverage of events, articles, tech articles from so called "mopar" mags. I think there have been a couple exceptions but I think those were years ago when the Dak RT was still kinda "new".

Modified dakotas period are often overlooked, so it's not just our niche. But to have Mopar mags ignore us too...kinda a slap in the face. If you don't have the cash for an old Barrett Jackson collectible Mopar...you need not apply.

Here's what I say to them...one big :finger:.

Warrior Poet
12-12-2009, 02:12 AM
I could see a booklet maybe semi anualy to all members. About the trucks, some contact info for big company's, totm, maybe even a feature member. Somethin ya know

BluRT00
12-12-2009, 02:02 PM
Petersen publishing, which basically owns ALL the mags, is a sinking ship. No way in hell an R/T mag would make it.

I'm kinda upset that the Dakota RT gets practically nonexistant coverage of events, articles, tech articles from so called "mopar" mags. I think there have been a couple exceptions but I think those were years ago when the Dak RT was still kinda "new".

Modified dakotas period are often overlooked, so it's not just our niche. But to have Mopar mags ignore us too...kinda a slap in the face. If you don't have the cash for an old Barrett Jackson collectible Mopar...you need not apply.

Here's what I say to them...one big :finger:.

Yeah but rolling up to a drag strip, even in a semi fast R/T catches peoples eyes. Every time I go to the local 1/8th mile I can be parked next to a 69 Barracuda fastback. Or a 90 notch back Ford Mustang with a big turbo. Guess who the people walk up to and look at? My truck, and when I ask why they over looked the other two? Answer is we don't see or hear much about these trucks.

rattler360
12-14-2009, 01:25 AM
ive been collecting old articles, presskits etc about rts, and other dakotas with some help id be interested in doing something

RTZoD
12-14-2009, 01:38 AM
Did someone mention boobies? :woot:

grapejuice1998
12-20-2009, 05:53 PM
Well the club used to have a newsletter. Unfortunately there isn't even enough interest/dedication to get that out the door. With Sport Truck and whoever else closing down their rags, I don't see this as being a good time to start something new in such a limited market.

Sad, but true. The "Rumble" was a lot of fun to read too. I'm pretty sure I have every one ever published, but unfortunately, they're not all in one place and organized.
Talk of a magazine was tossed around a few years ago too, but it never came to pass.

I think it'd be cool to somewhat revive the Rumble, but condense it down to where it would be easier to publish. First off, publish it online only. If someone wants to print it out and send it to someone in the sticks, fine, but no paper Rumbles.
Have a couple how-to tech articles, publish TSB's and recalls, put up a categorized list of the fastest/quickest R/T's, do a feature article on a particular owner and truck, have a small area for buy/sell want ads, etc. It could be done on a quarterly, or bi-annual basis. Nothing special, yet something to build on if it's well received.

dakfink
12-21-2009, 06:29 AM
Sad, but true. The "Rumble" was a lot of fun to read too. I'm pretty sure I have every one ever published, but unfortunately, they're not all in one place and organized.
Talk of a magazine was tossed around a few years ago too, but it never came to pass.

I think it'd be cool to somewhat revive the Rumble, but condense it down to where it would be easier to publish. First off, publish it online only. If someone wants to print it out and send it to someone in the sticks, fine, but no paper Rumbles.
Have a couple how-to tech articles, publish TSB's and recalls, put up a categorized list of the fastest/quickest R/T's, do a feature article on a particular owner and truck, have a small area for buy/sell want ads, etc. It could be done on a quarterly, or bi-annual basis. Nothing special, yet something to build on if it's well received.

Actually I-Net and Forums are what has put the Biggest Hurt on Mags.
Pretty much anything that could be found in a Mag can be put on a web-page. To make it Better add a section to discuss topics and ask questions!! Many Mags have.

All the subjects you mentioned are good topics that I think (as well as many others) should have their own Subject columns on this forum. Of course we are left with the Moderators decision on that??

I had volunteered my services and knowledge and research on another Forum Page with 2 stipulations: 1. A knowledgeable Moderator Proof Read my entries for mistakes and technical content and 2. Either the subject be Stickied or given it's own Subject column so it didn't get pushed to the 100th+ page of a subject column by some Noob hellos or questions that could be answered if the person read the Thread.

Had a lot of members ask for it BUT none of the Moderators would step up. I would be willing to do it here. BUT would prefer to have my own column Kind of like a Vendor BUT for for info I have to pass on. Kind of like a Kenny's Corner BUT of course not using my name!! Maybe (J3 Racing Corner)

Not that I am the most knowledgeable in the world, but I do dig from many Motor-Pools to keep abreast on what is going on and what is out there for US as well as many others!! I own and race Mopars, but have worked on and Helped friends that own and race Chevies and Fords and Others. Imports included.

Far as Dakotas and Mopars in general go!! Face it we have always been the Bastard Red Headed StepChild of American Muscle!!
1: Banned from Nascar for Beating up on F&C with a smaller engine.
2: To this day Hemi Technology is used in Drag Raciing and they won't give credit to the fact Mopar made it happen unless the engine has a Mopar Block.

I just got 2 Truck Mags the other day (show truck type) and looking through them there was only 1 article about a 1500 and that was because the Mag did an article about each Brand Dodge F&C.

I continued to look through all the pics including in the back grounds of the pics for a Dak. Found 1 out of 2 mags. It's one thing for the Mags to not do articles BUT when they are at shows and just snapping random pictures and you don't see any in the background. That is our fault not the Mags!!!

Daks just have not had a good presence in the truck world.

There are several reasons. Mostly Base $$$$. Daks were always more expensive than their Ranger and S-10 little brothers.

I personally would like to do a SHOW R/T but could you imagine the $$$$ to do Custom Paint, Interior, Suspension and Engine Mods too?? $50k easy!!!

I hate when these guys buy the bottom end truck and make it all pretty on the outside and you look under the hood and the most they have done is a dress-up kit or a lil Paint.

Darren (aka Sidewinder) is about the only FULLY done Dak I have ever seen. I would add a few things to it myself (personal Preference )but really it doesn't need anything!!!

Also remember the R/T (which lowers the numbers even more) was only built in Quantities of 5000/yr from 1998-2003. That's 25,000 total. How many of those have gone overseas, or been destroyed??

Honestly I think the best thing would be more PRO-Activeness in this and other Forums!!!

Post your PICS, Post your Tech Knowledge, Post what you've heard, etc etc.

I know I am constantly answering questions for people about Daks that have actually had their trucks for 5+yrs and just didn't know about these forums.

grapejuice1998
12-21-2009, 10:35 PM
The Rumble was one of the perks for joining the DRTC. We mailed them out 4 times a year, back in the clubs early days. It would be nice to have it back.

Rtspeeddemon
12-22-2009, 01:38 PM
Yeah but rolling up to a drag strip, even in a semi fast R/T catches peoples eyes. Every time I go to the local 1/8th mile I can be parked next to a 69 Barracuda fastback. Or a 90 notch back Ford Mustang with a big turbo. Guess who the people walk up to and look at? My truck, and when I ask why they over looked the other two? Answer is we don't see or hear much about these trucks.

Thats for sure, i have a crowd around mine everytime i'm there, but only after it makes it's 1st pass then they all want to see how and hell it goes like that..LOL

Corey
12-22-2009, 09:18 PM
id like to do a book on the history of the dakota, focusing on the special models like the shelbys, convertibles, rts. the one offs like the rad rides, hemi dakota, mopars sidewinder concept, the banks sidewinder dakota etc.

This would be an interesting read if it were to come together. :biggthumpup:

Back when the first 5.2 came out in the Dakota's in 1991(1989 only in the Shelby Dakota), that truck was built for a 4, V6 and V8, while the S-10's and Rangers could only be bought with either a 4 or a V6.

Only 5,000 R/Ts a year?

pdxR/T
12-22-2009, 09:37 PM

I totally agree with this. I'm new and not familiar with the Rumble but I would love to have something like this. I like this concept because it wouldn't cost very much money if any to start it. All you would need is time and some effort. It could also turn out into something big and good but if it didn't we could just say "Oh well, we tried." :biggthumpup:

Adobedude
12-22-2009, 09:46 PM
this is probably not going to happen, i was just wondering if there was anyone on here that thinks this would be an good idea. How hard/possible would it be for this club to come out with a magazine? i think it would be kick ass, and it would definitly expose our trucks to the world a little bit more. i get sick of folks seeing my truck, telling me they like it, but then askin, so what, is it a V6? no dumbass read the tailgate. lol. but i just thought it would be cool if we could get a R/T dak mag out there, you dont see these trucks much in mopar mag, or anything else. it would be a way for the club to make some money as well, for events and such. just an idea, i would love to see it happen.

Wake up...

All print publications are dying, and we drive trucks....Heavy, slow trucks, and there's a million of em out there....Hell, even Playboy is toast.

Why do you think a mag about Dakota's would survive?

I wouldn't buy it....Unless I was on the cover....:jester:

Intense RT
12-22-2009, 09:52 PM
Thats for sure, i have a crowd around mine everytime i'm there, but only after it makes it's 1st pass then they all want to see how and hell it goes like that..LOLLol, duhhhh. Wtf is in that thing?!:biggthumpup:

Intense RT
12-22-2009, 09:53 PM
Wake up...

All print publications are dying, and we drive trucks....Heavy, slow trucks, and there's a million of em out there....Hell, even Playboy is toast.

Why do you think a mag about Dakota's would survive?

I wouldn't buy it....Unless I was on the cover....:jester:Yep, the mags have been on a downhill slide.

BluRT00
12-23-2009, 02:16 PM
As stated before fix the time turn around on paying members getting their products fast. Not waiting months at a time before they get their shirts/ stickers/ membership cars etc.. Once that's fixed have someone good with computers make a PDF file magazine for members. Put it out 4 times a year with different build info/ trucks of the months etc... Still a lot of work, and I am pretty sure the people in charge already know this.

tcuillier
12-23-2009, 03:21 PM
As stated before fix the time turn around on paying members getting their products fast. Not waiting months at a time before they get their shirts/ stickers/ membership cars etc.. Once that's fixed have someone good with computers make a PDF file magazine for members. Put it out 4 times a year with different build info/ trucks of the months etc... Still a lot of work, and I am pretty sure the people in charge already know this.

I was a paid member from 2000 through 2008. The last 2 years, I didn't receive a receipt for my membership payment, no membership card, sticker, decal---nothing. I let my membership lapse this year. There might be someone from the NW Div that is still a member, but everyone here in the NW, that I know dropped out long before I did.

Tom

grapejuice1998
12-23-2009, 03:36 PM
I was a paid member from 2000 through 2008. The last 2 years, I didn't receive a receipt for my membership payment, no membership card, sticker, decal---nothing. I let my membership lapse this year. There might be someone from the NW Div that is still a member, but everyone here in the NW, that I know dropped out long before I did.

Tom

I let mine go too. I last paid in May of '07 and got my plastic card and sticker in early December of '07, so when renewal time came in '08, I decided it was finally time to cut the DRTC off. Which is a shame, because I'm a founding member of the club, but it seems nobody cares anymore, so why should I support it.

PeteRT
12-23-2009, 04:07 PM
i don't really know why i keep renewing. habit i guess, lol.

there is no benefit to it. i guess the national meet, which regular joes attend once every 3 or 4 years... but i remember one i went to recently and thought to myself that it would have been a whole lot cheaper had i just shown up and hung out without paying the meet fees. That is not to say the organizers didn't do their job, its to say that I didn't partake in everything the money funded.

but, i guess i'll continue to toss money into he wind in some ridiculous effort to do my part to keep the club afloat. it doesn't irritate me that the old salts aren't taken care of... they know what the score is already...

..it's the nuggets that show up out of the blue, the ones that actually care enough to shovel out whatever the membership fees are and are ignored. It makes "us" look like a joke & is extremely damaging.
R/T folk tend to drive in packs, and seek out other owners... When one of them thinks the club is a joke, the others surely are not going to make the same mistake and they'll keep their cash. Not only does this original member not renew, everyone he comes in contact with will never sign up in the first place. It's not hard to keep people happy- you just have to give them something for their money.

i don't know or care what or who the problem is as to why things seem to be so jacked up... i do know there are people currently working dilligently to correct things. I thank them for their efforts and:

If you need temporary or permanent help with club stuff, getting it back on track and keeping it there- let me know!

pete

grapejuice1998
12-24-2009, 05:32 PM
FYI: This is all you get for your money.

http://i46.tinypic.com/w2ftrl.jpg

BluRT00
12-24-2009, 07:07 PM
Weak!

capart
01-01-2010, 12:01 AM
Being new I was a little slow on the ways and means of getting around the website. I'm getting used to it and really enjoying getting the feedback from other members. It's always nice to hear (see) ppl that aren't afraid to speak their piece. Give me some time.....I bet I'll come up with something.