PDA

View Full Version : Started New Fiberglass Box

1LoudRT
11-06-2009, 10:27 PM
Well I started the construction of a new fiberglass box. The Box will stay beneath the rear glass and house (4) Memphis 12" Dual 2ohm CM's. I contructed the box out of 3/4 MDF and painted the entire inside of the enclosure with fiberglass resin to make the box stronger and to also make the wood smooth as glass. Rumor has it that painting the box with resin will gain 2-3 DB on the meter. I have plenty so why not give it a shot. I have the rings constructed but I'm still waiting on the woofers so I can drill bolt the holes in the rings before I glass them in.
http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp74/1loudrt/Memphis%20Build/Stereo%20Build/PB050148.jpg
http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp74/1loudrt/Memphis%20Build/Stereo%20Build/PB050149.jpg
http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp74/1loudrt/Memphis%20Build/Stereo%20Build/PB050151.jpg
http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp74/1loudrt/Memphis%20Build/Stereo%20Build/PB050152.jpg
http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp74/1loudrt/Memphis%20Build/Stereo%20Build/PB050154.jpg

sunike32
11-06-2009, 10:38 PM
Do you run a bead of the proper silicone down each joint?

1LoudRT
11-06-2009, 10:53 PM
I used wood glue when I built the enclosure and filled all the joints with resin. After I built the foundation I painted each section with resin one by one. painting one-letting it dry- then turning the box to the next flat side- That way to avoid all brush drips and to allow the resin to level and smooth itself out. When I did this I made sure to fill all the voids in the joints with resin. After painting the port board on both sides I glued and nailed it into place before using screws and then filled the voids on it as well. - No need for silicone here.

sunike32
11-06-2009, 11:26 PM
I used wood glue when I built the enclosure and filled all the joints with resin. After I built the foundation I painted each section with resin one by one. painting one-letting it dry- then turning the box to the next flat side- That way to avoid all brush drips and to allow the resin to level and smooth itself out. When I did this I made sure to fill all the voids in the joints with resin. After painting the port board on both sides I glued and nailed it into place before using screws and then filled the voids on it as well. - No need for silicone here.

Good deal. I don't know a whole lot about audio stuff, but when I researched and made a box for my old 3.9 Sport, I remember reading to make sure all those seams are sealed. My box turned out pretty nice for my first time making one. It went from wall to wall behind the RC seats. Unfortunately I bought my R/T and never finished the center console to mate up with the box :jester:

ddrango
11-07-2009, 12:21 AM
Wow really? (About the painting the inside of the box with resin) I did that to mine to make a nice sealed structure, didn't know it made it sound better. I guess that's why my system pumps pretty nicely lol.

1LoudRT
11-07-2009, 01:31 AM
yeah- That was the big talk at world finals this year was gains close to 3db for the same design box but painted it with resin- A few people did it and swear by it now. I've known a couple of them for years so (experienced pros) and I usually listen and take notes to any tips or tricks they suggest.

walight01
11-07-2009, 02:45 AM
i would of just used wood glue as well running a port that huge nothing would leak anyways. whats the port tuned too?

1LoudRT
11-07-2009, 04:20 AM
as long as I get the volume after wrapping it and assuming sub size displacement I'm assuming I'll be around 44 hrtz

walight01
11-07-2009, 05:24 AM
wow definatly going for spl!!

gt77ice
01-26-2010, 02:54 AM
It's been a while since you've updated us on your box, what's the status? I'm curious about final product or what it looks like now.

1LoudRT
01-26-2010, 05:32 AM
As of right now it's still the same- I'm waiting for the subs from Memphis so I have the correct diameter for the speaker rings and so I can add my lock down nuts in between the speaker rings I need to know the screw hole spacing. I'll be sure to update this when I get started again

Addicted2Blue00
01-26-2010, 05:50 AM
will the facial be able to handle the poundin of the subs w/o crackin? i need to redo my box, broke it once right after i ported it and 2 weeks later after fixin it the first time. the back wall n facial were spreadin, after 10 more screwes added and resealin now i think its the sides but the center between the subs feels like its broke as you can feel the top move then you would of the bottom where the subs are mounted, also i was pushin 148.8 db before portin the box and the box was made of 3/4 mdf

1LoudRT
01-26-2010, 02:43 PM
yes- it will hold- what you don't see right now is the bracing that will go into the box as well- I plan on painting the box so I don't want it to get any stress cracks during use

Addicted2Blue00
01-26-2010, 05:00 PM
do post up pics, we always enjoy seein pics