PDA

View Full Version : Instrument cluster

cullins
03-06-2008, 11:06 AM
The back light on my instrument cluster went out last night. I knock on the dash and half came on but went out later really annoying when the cops are up your ass.Im thinking just a loose conection but it looks like the previous owner added a aftermarket set. Its a 99 and there is a shift light in the middle of the tack is that factory?

AmberFireDaK
03-06-2008, 02:44 PM
It's a 99 what?

Dakotas have a fixed plug that the cluster pushes into, actually I think there's 2 1 on each side. So I don't really see it comming loose unless the plug somehow got pushed out of what it's fixed to and back into the dash more. Is anything else acting up like that? Cause I have heard of a bad ground making lights and accesories go ape sh*t

Now if it's a Ram, I have no idea

cullins
03-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Its a 99 rc r/t. Everything else works fine but lights are dim on low fuel light, hi beam indicator,gear indicator. Odometer is nice and bright. but no back light all the gauges work also.

BTLFED R/T
03-06-2008, 07:53 PM
Might want to check the dimmer switch. That little wheel in the headlight switch panel.

cullins
03-06-2008, 08:00 PM
Yeah i ran the wheel up and it work for the interior light and the bed light but made no difference in the cluster. Do you think the dimmer switch still maybe bad? Thanks guys for all the help it really does help bouncing ideas of other people.Ive been lighting the forum up with ?s hahaha

BTLFED R/T
03-06-2008, 08:37 PM
That's what we're all here for! :)

I'd look into that as a possibility for sure. I don't get into too much electrical, I don't have good luck with it! LOL

cullins
03-06-2008, 09:12 PM
Yeah im cursed with electrical problems. A good freind of mine has been a chrysler tech for a long time im gonna ask him. I will let you guys know what he says if it works!.