PDA

View Full Version : My RollBar

Lederip
03-06-2008, 12:07 AM
Couple shots of the new Roll Bar

1.75 Cromoly Bars. Took it to a NHRA chassis seminar and it passed with flying colors. The NHRA inspector said it would cert to 8.5 if I added the two front sill bars. All six points are tied to the frame, see pic. Anyway I'm good to 10.0.

Local IHRA inspector stopped buy to purchase a garage heater I was selling. He also said no problem with the Bars all located in the cab.

Duner
03-06-2008, 12:11 AM
Nice job!

bad360rt
03-06-2008, 12:21 AM
Bar looks great Ken! I'm gonna talk to the guy who's building my headers about a bar. I hate to do it, but I'm not gonna be able to enjoy the truck if I don't have one. Doing one run and getting booted is gonna be fun for all of about five minutes and then I'm gonna wish I had a rollbar.

Duner
03-06-2008, 12:25 AM
I hate to do it, but I'm not gonna be able to enjoy the truck if I don't have one. Doing one run and getting booted is gonna be fun for all of about five minutes and then I'm gonna wish I had a rollbar.

It's really not that bad - even in a regular cab truck. You're right. That one run then get booted thing sucks - especially when they say that's the last time. Period. No more runs on the track at all until a bar is installed. It was easier to install a bar than it was to repaint the truck and change my name.... to make one more pass.

White Turbo
03-06-2008, 12:25 AM

1.75 Cromoly Bars. Took it to a NHRA chassis seminar and it passed with flying colors. The NHRA inspector said it would cert to 8.5 if I added the two front sill bars. All six points are tied to the frame, see pic. Anyway I'm good to 10.0.

Local IHRA inspector stopped buy to purchase a garage heater I was selling. He also said no problem with the Bars all located in the cab.

Very Nice !!
I had to get rid of the back window on mine.:(

bad360rt
03-06-2008, 12:29 AM
It's really not that bad - even in a regular cab truck. You're right. That one run then get booted thing sucks - especially when they say that's the last time. Period. No more runs on the track at all until a bar is installed. It was easier to install a bar than it was to repaint the truck and change my name.... to make one more pass.

I'm gonna do mine like yours, bar up above the headliner, and keep the rear bars at the minimum angle, shouldn't be bad. Gonna have to ditch the tonneau cover tho, that sucks. Luckily there's a red R/T in town, I'll have to see if he wants to buy it :)

Where did you get your lexan? I'd like to keep the slider and just replaced the side windows with lexan for the bars.

Lederip
03-06-2008, 12:31 AM
Nice job!

Thanks Duner,
This safety stuff cost a bunch, But like you I have done some drifting at 100 mph+. You can still can get in trouble running 10-11 sec range. Doing aftermarket 35 spline axles, Wilwood 4 disk aluminum brakes and Strange 9" next week. Also doing a safecraft Halon fire system and Kirkey seats with a 5point harness. Its starting to look like a Race Truck.

I ended up with a 4.5X7X10 intercooler designed by Corkey Bell and Gerhard Schruf at Bell intercoolers. Its sitting on a USP truck in Dallas right now:burnout:

Lederip
03-06-2008, 12:35 AM
Bar looks great Ken! I'm gonna talk to the guy who's building my headers about a bar. I hate to do it, but I'm not gonna be able to enjoy the truck if I don't have one. Doing one run and getting booted is gonna be fun for all of about five minutes and then I'm gonna wish I had a rollbar.

Thanks Dave, I got tired of being called stupid and getting kicked off the local track

Lederip
03-06-2008, 12:37 AM
It was easier to install a bar than it was to repaint the truck and change my name.... to make one more pass.

Now there is an Idea I didn't think about haha.

BTLFED R/T
03-06-2008, 12:41 AM
Its starting to look like a Race Truck.:burnout:

"I hate when you bring them street trucks to slick night!!"

Where did that guy go anyway?! :laughing:

Duner
03-06-2008, 01:00 AM
Where did you get your lexan? I'd like to keep the slider and just replaced the side windows with lexan for the bars.

I got the Lexan from a local plastics supplier that I'd used in the past for signage.

Duner
03-06-2008, 01:03 AM
Thanks Duner,
This safety stuff cost a bunch, But like you I have done some drifting at 100 mph+. You can still can get in trouble running 10-11 sec range. Doing aftermarket 35 spline axles, Wilwood 4 disk aluminum brakes and Strange 9" next week. Also doing a safecraft Halon fire system and Kirkey seats with a 5point harness. Its starting to look like a Race Truck.

I ended up with a 4.5X7X10 intercooler designed by Corkey Bell and Gerhard Schruf at Bell intercoolers. Its sitting on a USP truck in Dallas right now:burnout:

Very nice....
You're right. All that safety stuff gets pricey for sure. It sounds like you're on top of it all. Now what about the metal valve stems, SFI balancer, SFI flexplate, trans blanket and flexplate shield? hehehe... the list just keeps going.

Lederip
03-06-2008, 01:04 AM
"I hate when you bring them street trucks to slick night!!"

Where did that guy go anyway?! :laughing:

That was a fun night in St Louis. That street truck got two "race cars" and a Z06 on slicks:woot:

blk00rt
03-06-2008, 01:24 AM
kenny,
looks really good, how long did they have your truck for and did they make a pattern for it. I will know when the track opens if I need one or not this year. I am only going one stage and will save the other kit for the dart.

grapejuice1998
03-06-2008, 01:43 AM

That's real nice Ken!
I have felt a little uneasy running the 1/4 over 110 mph and I remember thinking to myself "that wall would really hurt this beer can of a truck". Rules or not, it's probably a smart addition to such a fast ride. :biggthumpup:

bad360rt
03-06-2008, 02:14 AM
I got the Lexan from a local plastics supplier that I'd used in the past for signage.

Cool, I'll see what I can find. Thanks.

Very nice....
You're right. All that safety stuff gets pricey for sure. It sounds like you're on top of it all. Now what about the metal valve stems, SFI balancer, SFI flexplate, trans blanket and flexplate shield? hehehe... the list just keeps going.

Yeah, that's the other problem with doing a rollbar, kind of leads to going legit on everything else LOL

uwntsumrtII
03-06-2008, 03:41 AM
VERY nice Ken. and WOW he kept ALL of it inside the cab? looks like a next winter project for mine.

03dakrt
03-06-2008, 03:49 AM
Looks great Kenny, I really like the rear section behind the driver seat.

Rick Adams
03-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Its starting to look like a Race Truck.

Really nice job! R/T stands for "race truck" right???!!!:hail:

Lederip
03-06-2008, 12:11 PM
kenny,
looks really good, how long did they have your truck for and did they make a pattern for it. I will know when the track opens if I need one or not this year. I am only going one stage and will save the other kit for the dart.

It took about 3 days. They had all the bars bent and inplace in about 8 hours. Took around 4 hours to attach everything to the frame. Around 3 hours to Tig weld everything up.

They are looking forward to doing some more Dakotas!! If you can get two or three people to commit the price will go down (larger steel order). They don't do 1 3/4 Roll Bars often, everything is 1 5/8 Cages

1.75 Cromoly prices have gone through the roof. I think I paid around $6 per foot. Your looking at ~$1200 for a custom 6 point cromoly Roll Bar. Prices will drop if you want mild steel.
Ken

Rtspeeddemon
03-06-2008, 12:11 PM

Killer stuff Ken.

Damn you guys are just so outta my league, man just no money to spend to keep up.

Adobedude
03-11-2008, 01:46 AM
Sign me up.

Regular cab here...But it would have to be a mail order kit and get it welded up here.....

I don't need it now, but I will.