PDA

View Full Version : Mods before tuning

ducrider
08-12-2009, 11:21 AM
I have a 99 CC R/T.It is stock with the exceptions of a cold air intake,shift kit and dual exhaust.I have plans on a good bit of upgrades.I will be installing a M1 1st gen 4 barrel intake with the 2 barrel adapter.That will be this weekend or next.Doing it because I need to replace the plenum gasket on the stocker.In the future I will be adding some headers,roller rockers,ported heads,ported/billet throttle body etc.Here's the problem I am working on a budget.Meaning one upgrade every few months.How much can be done before I need to upgrade/program the pcm.If I can wait to do it last then I wont have to have it done but once.How much can be done until I lose power with mods.

Intense RT
08-13-2009, 01:26 AM
Honestly, I think you're better off not doing the intake swap yet. You won't gain anything and may actually hurt mpg.

By dual exhaust, do you mean true duals and no stock head pipes (no y pipe on a 99)? Do the headers/headpipes first, then Intake and higher flowing throttle body next. No tuning necessary, but they are on sale now through hemifever for $375 with updates to tunes as mods are added. I'd jump on it asap. He can give you a couple good tunes for now. Say, one for mpg and another for tq/hp.

ducrider
08-13-2009, 02:32 AM
Well mpg is not a problem I work only 6 miles from my house.The next problem will be the money.I will get some headers next but it might be a month or so before I can get them.The truck does have true duals.2 1/2 from the manifolds to the flow masters dumped at the rear.Just looking to find what I can do and how much I can do before I have to tune the pcm.Big plans up the road is high volume fuel pump,billet rails and a return system.So I will be doing some big mods but need to get the basic's done first.It does suck to have the pump,regulator and lines to build the fuel system with out a need for them yet.

Adobedude
08-13-2009, 03:46 AM
Stock fuel system can support a lot of HP....

ducrider
08-16-2009, 12:44 AM
It's not a question of the stock fuel system handling alot of HP.It's how much can be done with out a pcm tune.Anybody got some ideas?

2k1AmberR/T
08-16-2009, 01:06 AM
The m1 is probably the single biggest item you'll do that'll require a pcm flash. If stock trucks don't run well with a 2bbl, I can't imagine how your 4bbl is going to behave without supporting mods or a flash on an otherwise stock engine. Most guys with a 4bbl have boost or more cubes.

hskr
08-16-2009, 01:19 AM
Get the SCT tuner with the unlimited tuning option then you won't have to worry about waiting until you are done so you only have to tune it once. $375 right now for the package deal and you can have it re-tuned after each additional mod without having to pay for a new tune.

ducrider
08-16-2009, 02:28 AM
I will be running a 2 barrel on the 4 barrel intake with the adapter.So its more for intake runner length than using a 4 barrel.I would go for the SCT if I had the $375 right now.I just have to do a little bit at a time.If the mods I do dont give the performance until the pcm flash thats fine I just dont want to do anything that will keep it from running.I do have to drive it daily even though its a short drive.I do have my 95 Dak with a 360 in it with tons of mods that I could drive.

Intense RT
08-16-2009, 04:49 AM
Shorter runners on the 4bbl. Not by much though.

It'll run and be driveable.