PDA

View Full Version : True Duals

vaughn
07-17-2009, 08:58 PM
I want to put a true dual exhaust on my r/t. I want to cut the cat out and run glasspacks. I have 4 o2 sensors. 2 after both of my headers. And then 1 before and 1 after my cat. Now I only think I need a o2 simulator for the o2 sensor after my cat. But what about the o2 sensor before my cat? Can I simply put it in the same place roughly in my new exhaust. Or does that o2 sensor need a simulator too? Please help

Intense RT
07-17-2009, 09:22 PM
First, I don't think you'll like the glasspacks, esp without the converter. It may sound redneck. Clack, clack pop pop and not the good sounding ones, jmo.

No o2 simulator is needed. Zip tie it to the frame wrapped in exhaust heat wrap or the like (heated o2 sensor) and put a plastic bag zip tied over that to keep water off it. If it gets wet, it likely will if uncovered, it will cause a check engine light. Been there.

Pre cat sensor, yes, put it in the same location it was before in the new exhaust.

ddrango
07-17-2009, 09:23 PM
I want to put a true dual exhaust on my r/t. I want to cut the cat out and run glasspacks. I have 4 o2 sensors. 2 after both of my headers. And then 1 before and 1 after my cat. Now I only think I need a o2 simulator for the o2 sensor after my cat. But what about the o2 sensor before my cat? Can I simply put it in the same place roughly in my new exhaust. Or does that o2 sensor need a simulator too? Please help

Well, from that I can tell you truck is a 98-00, the two before & after that cat are the ones that monitor the cat efficiency. The other two on the y-pipe read the exhaust gases and change the mixture. So you'd need either 1 or two 02 sims for the last two sensors, or one for the sensor before the cat, and just strap the last one on the frame rail for fresh air. I'd say try strapping both the last two under and drive it for a while, see if it runs like shit after a while or not.

AmberFireDaK
07-17-2009, 09:45 PM
Well, from that I can tell you truck is a 98-00, the two before & after that cat are the ones that monitor the cat efficiency. The other two on the y-pipe read the exhaust gases and change the mixture. So you'd need either 1 or two 02 sims for the last two sensors, or one for the sensor before the cat, and just strap the last one on the frame rail for fresh air. I'd say try strapping both the last two under and drive it for a while, see if it runs like shit after a while or not.

The first 3 sensors on a 4 sensor system help with fuel mix, the front 2 monitor each bank and the 3rd does both together.

The last sensor monitors cat efficiency, try the zip tie trick for it... and only if that doesn't work would I think about a simm.

98Dak408
08-03-2009, 03:33 PM
The first 3 sensors on a 4 sensor system help with fuel mix, the front 2 monitor each bank and the 3rd does both together.Correct.

The last sensor monitors cat efficiency, try the zip tie trick for it... and only if that doesn't work would I think about a simm.
I just kept the 4th sensor in the exhaust, even without a cat, and I don't get an engine light or codes. If I did, I had a simm I would have installed.