PDA

View Full Version : How to upload larger photos

Jimbarrt
07-14-2009, 02:17 PM
When I try and attach photos, my jpegs have to be reduced so small to be accepted. Why? I see other posters with large file sizes, full screen sized photos. I know nothing about reformatting photos, so if thats what i need to do, i need step by step to do it. [i don't have a photobucket account] Will I need a photoshop program to do it?

2k1AmberR/T
07-14-2009, 03:13 PM
Photobucket allows you to post 1MB file size photos...or photobucket can also resize your large image (5MB or whatever) down to even smaller than 1MB. Attachments through the forum only allow for a super tiny file size, 1KB I think. Fuck that, go sign up for photobucket or a similar photo account and do it that way. Much easier, it even gives you the link to post in the forum so it'll show up.

It's as easy as choosing the photo you want to upload to photobucket, then once it's uploaded you simply copy/paste the forum () URL that is supplied to you by photobucket into your post and you're done. It's that simple.

Really, the only difference between the actual photo URL and the image URL for the forum is the simple [img] at the front of the URL and the at the back, but the fact that photobucket adds it for you is nice, that's all. So basically go sign up for a free photobucket account.

SinCity R/T
07-14-2009, 03:27 PM
As mentioned above - the main difference lies with who is storing the photos. If you attach the photo to your post that means it's the DRTC's server that is supplying the disk space and bandwidth, so we have some restrictions in place to prevent people from gobbling up all our resources - .jpg and .gif file formats are currently limited to 256k. If you use an external server like Photobucket, you can display whatever you want because then it's their disk space and bandwidth that is being used.

In order to display a photo that's been hosted on another service, you have to use UBB code. I have to add extra spaces so the code doesn't kick in...

[ img ] http://pathtothepicture.jpg [ /img ]

You can also click the "Insert Image" button at the top of the editor window, it's a small square with a couple of triangles & a square inside - the editor will automatically add the UBB code tags for you.

RTZoD
07-14-2009, 03:30 PM
You can do it with microsoft paint. That program is included in windows. Biggest issue is hosting. Most people have photobucket. Since the limits of the dakotart forums they only allow certain sizes of files. I host all mine on my own site.

SinCity R/T
07-14-2009, 03:31 PM
FYI - You can use MS Paint to consolidate or shrink your photos. When you take a picture with a digital camera, there's a whole lot of extra bits & information saved with the picture that simply isn't necessary.

If you open a photo with MS Paint (included in the accessories folder with Windows XP or Vista) then re-save it as-is, all those extra bits are stripped away. I've seen a photo shrink from 350k to 100k just by re-saving it in this manner, the photo itself didn't change.

You can also use MS Paint's strech/skew feature to shrink photos - eg: 1600x1200 photo can be 'stretched' 50% to shrink it down to 800x600, then use "Save as" so you don't overwrite the original photo.

Jimbarrt
07-14-2009, 05:28 PM
OK, thanks for all the replies.

Hmmm?

Went through photobucket, originals were 1600 x 1200, but when I tried to put them on here,
they got real small again...

oh well...