PDA

View Full Version : Time for turbo...Now

cock_diesel
07-14-2009, 01:48 PM
So ive had my dakota now for a few weeks and its just to slow for me. I recently put my Turbo s2000 up for sale that broke the street driven record in 2008 with a 10.67@134mph daily driven all day car. So ill be needing my dakota to keep me happy atleast for a little while...

My buddy has a bunch of stock parts from his dodge cummins including turbo (he351cw 60mm in 60mm out), some piping, 5" down pipe, oil lines etc... So I think im going to use all his stuff for now and see how it goes. I can fab all the stuff up myself and make it work but I was wondering what kind of tuning is there out there?? My brother is a tuner in minneapolis for maperformance.com and he can dyno tune it all for me free of charge.

Is there 'live' tuning offered for these trucks? or am I limited to run megasquirt, FMU? I know alot of you guys will recommend the SCT but id rather do this myself with the advantages I have locally

Any info would be appreciated and ill be more than happy to show my dyno results, after all i can stay on the dyno for as long as I want :rockwoot:

Five9Dak
07-14-2009, 02:06 PM
The only live tuning options you have are to move to a standalone, so megasquirt or others if you have the $$$$. The newest MSIIextra code is very capable, especially for turbo motors.

cock_diesel
07-15-2009, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the info dude.

im not really looking for anything krazy so im thinking just 8-10psi maybe?

What can these stock motors handle safely for power and psi? Ill be driving very aggressive daily so im not to sure the limits

will I have to upgrade fuel system at all or will the stock stuff handle it?

RTchas
07-20-2009, 03:52 AM
Thanks for the info dude.

im not really looking for anything krazy so im thinking just 8-10psi maybe?

What can these stock motors handle safely for power and psi? Ill be driving very aggressive daily so im not to sure the limits

will I have to upgrade fuel system at all or will the stock stuff handle it?

Okay no expert here but 6psi on stock drive train is doable any more psi head gaskets go boom. And an FMU or return fuel system is needed but some have run blowers without by running a BTM . Also 24 pd injectors may be needed. I was running 6psi with MSD BTM and their FMU and had no issues with a Powerdyne blower as for Turbo where you put it and if you cool the charge will have an effect as well. Oh and SCT and some good tuning seems to be working well for alot of guys on here. Just my .02 good Luck what ever you do.And keep us Posted!:biggthumpup:

dakfink
08-22-2009, 02:03 PM
let's make this simple:

SCT=est $350-500 and unretstricted tuning capabilities
SCT ProPackage= est.$1200 and you can tune it yourself just like a stand alone.

Mega Squirt= $300-500 and you still have to assemble it.IIRC you can get pre built ones for $800. Have to learn the software and code, Still have to figure out how to piggyback MS and your factory PCM, etc, etc. Final Total with Headaches , Aspirin, Late Nights, and Lots of beer. At least $1200+

Complete stand alone= $1800-3500 depending on how elaborate you want to get.

Personally the SCT Pro Package would be a No-Brainer if you want full control and have no tuner in your area.

Only way i would go stand alone (MS wouldn't even be a consideration at this level) is if I was planning a full custom set up with over 15psi boost and knew in advance that the Fuel System, Gauges, Ignition and alot of other stuff is going to be replaced.

Nitrohog
08-22-2009, 02:21 PM
SCT is a lot cheaper now, if you know where to look you can get the pro racer package for under $500

cock_diesel
08-22-2009, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the good info, ill keep saving my pennies and hopefully figure something out

Duner
08-22-2009, 03:22 PM
SCT is a lot cheaper now, if you know where to look you can get the pro racer package for under $500

Time for me to start looking then...