PDA

View Full Version : Professional Tuner

99Dodge
06-19-2009, 04:43 AM
I Am Looking For A Professional Tuner In The 805 Area Code.

I Want To Become An Apprentice Tuner, I Am Looking At This As A Priority. I Know Some Tuning But Not Even Near Where I Want To Get To. It Is Either Tuning Or I Will Join To Marines & Work On Tanks Or Humvee.

So Please Help.

Intense RT
06-20-2009, 06:28 PM
I Am Looking For A Professional Tuner In The 805 Area Code.

I Want To Become An Apprentice Tuner, I Am Looking At This As A Priority. I Know Some Tuning But Not Even Near Where I Want To Get To. It Is Either Tuning Or I Will Join To Marines & Work On Tanks Or Humvee.

So Please Help.I'm tuning my own truck now so I have an idea where you're coming from. Most tuners out there aren't just going to dole out an answer or instruct you like taking a class. You have to do the research yourself. Ask a question here and there and piece together the answers to get the "big picture".

I'll give you a place to start. Understand kpa, torr (for our trucks and SCT), psi conversion. The difference between "guage" vacuum readings and absolute readings of atmospheric pressure.

99Dodge
06-20-2009, 08:36 PM
This Is What I Understand So Far;

One Of The Most Important Tuning Tools Is Good Data.
Some Good Data To Base Your Tuning Off Of Is;

Short Term Fuel Trim(STFT)
Long Term Fuel Trim(LTFT)
Load Data
MAF Data
Engine Temp
Air Temp

Some Other Good Ones To Data Log Is;

Pressure Drop Acr
oss Fuel Injectors
Oxygen Sensor Voltages
Real Time Wide Band Oxygen Sensor Data
MAP(Or Boost)

Before Tuning It Is Best To Gather As Much Information About The Vehicle As Possible. For Example;

Engine Modifications
Fuel System Upgrades
Ignition System Upgrades
Amount Of Boost

Sometimes Injector Size Changes May Mean That Special Correction Must Be Applied To The Tune In Order For The MAF To Be Scaled Correctly.

For Example, Using 24 lb/hr Injectors With A Stock 19 lb/hr MAF.

It Is Best To Tune Idle, Low Load & Then WOT(Wide Open Throttle)

Once You Have Data On Load, Fuel Trims & MAF Output You Can Start Looking For Patterns On The Vehicle Data To Help Maximize The Tune.

Load At Idle Should Be 20% Plus Or Minus 8%

If Load Is Too High, Increase Engine Displacement
If Load Is Too Low, Decrease Engine Displacement

Adjust MAF Output To Offset The Fuel Added Or Taken Away By The Fuel Trim.

Load Sites That Show 20% Fuel Cut To Keep The Car At Stoichiometry Will Need The MAF Output Lowered By 20%.

Once You Have Tuned Idle & Low Load Then It Is Time To Tune WOT. Usually The Most Power Come From Tuning Two Critical Areas On WOT. That Is;

WOT A/F Mixture
WOT Spark

When Tuning WOT It Is Best To Look At RPM, Load & MAF Value. You Want To Change MAF Transfer Function To Obtain The Desired WOT A/F Ratio. The Formula For Calculating MAF Transfer Function Is;

Actual A/F Ratio/Desired A/F Ratio=Correction Factor

For Example, If I Have An Area Where The A/F Ratio Is 13.2:1 & I Need It To Be 12:1; 13.2/12=1.1

So You Are Going To Need To Multiply The Affected Area By 1.1.

Once A/F Ratio Is Optimized It Is Time To Tune The Ignition Timing.

Spark Changes Will Usually Be Done To The Higher RPMs. Only Increase Timing By Two Degrees At A Time & Retard Timing At The First Sign Of Engine Knock.

A Few Notes When Tuning;

Tune The Most Dangerous Part First.(Extremely Lean A/F Ratio Parts)
Try To Make An Even A/F All The Way Through.(There Will Always Be A Dip Somewhere, It Is Normal)
You Are Getting Close When Your Changes Stop Making A Difference.
The Formula For Lambda Is;
Desired/ 14.7

Turn Adaptive Learning Off Before Tuning
Turn Off Traction Control If Vehicle Is Equipped With It

& That Is Basically All I Know About Tuning.

Intense RT
06-20-2009, 11:08 PM
For our speed density I log a/f, rpm, spark adv., map, tps, and iat. I'm not even going to try part throttle tuning yet as it is much more complicated. It doesn't bother my much at this point because I want economy. Now, when I install my 408, I'll have more on my plate. I'll tackle that when the time comes.

You have some good basics.

I haven't tuned a maf vehicle. I don't datalog load on my truck, I look at the map which is displayed in Torr. I then convert that to kpa because it's simpler to compare with my datalogs which is displayed in kpa.

99Dodge
06-21-2009, 02:43 AM
What Is Kpa?

Intense RT
06-21-2009, 05:08 PM
What Is Kpa?Kilopascal- one of a few forms of measurement of pressure.

mtlcafan79
06-21-2009, 05:55 PM
http://www.efi101.com/

Five9Dak
06-21-2009, 06:46 PM
http://www.efi101.com/

Just about to post this. You're going to have to blow up your own engines before anyone should really be trusting you with theirs. Take this course then get a standalone and play around.

99Dodge
06-21-2009, 07:31 PM
Just about to post this. You're going to have to blow up your own engines before anyone should really be trusting you with theirs. Take this course then get a standalone and play around.
Has Anyone Here Gone To That School?

Five9Dak
06-21-2009, 09:02 PM
I don't know if anyone on here has gone, but I think it would be a good place for you to start. All I've done is read the megasquirt manuals a few times, all the forum infomation on efi101.com, had both a controls and an engines course, and been learning as I go. I don't have much interest in making a career out of it as it wouldn't pay enough, but it sure is fun as a hobby.

Intense RT
06-22-2009, 01:20 AM
I don't know if I would try a boosted engine yet, but our low hp bolt on engines I wouldn't have a problem with tuning wot.

Keeping this in mind, I'm tuning only on my personal bolt on engine...And I'm not worried about blowing it up because I don't push my luck and I have a 408 just sitting here. I'd rather learn on my 360.

Be educated as much as you can and, though I'm sure it would help, a lot of tuners have no formal training, even some of the good tuners out there. You have to have a good head on your shoulders, good knowledge of the sensors the engine uses to collect information, and read, read, read, all that you can get a hold of. Like I said earlier, once in a while a tuner may even give you a piece of info that you can use. It's like putting a puzzle together with all the info being in different learning resources is the best I can explain.

When I got my pro racer package and first looked at all the scalars, I was like whoa...Now I have a good grasp of the parameters I am interested in optimizing right now. There are also some I'm not sure about, so I leave them alone. The program has descriptions that should be read at the bottom of the screen as well as an ongoing history of every change made in that saved tune. So if you need to go back and change something, you can scroll through and look at the changes you previously made. Sean will try to help a little bit here and there, but I don't rely on him. I try my best to correct any problem myself. That's the best way to learn along with some trial and error.

99Dodge
06-24-2009, 03:27 AM
I Know Some Information About Sensors & How A Combustion Chamber Works. I Was Looking For Someone Because I Do Not Want To Start Messing Too Much With Something Without Having Someone That Knows What They Are Doing Supervise Or To Notify Me Once I Have Gone Too Far. At The Moment I Do Not Know What Too Far Is.