PDA

View Full Version : Brake issue at Track

dakman7
02-25-2008, 10:56 PM
Hey All,
Haven't posted much in awhile so first I'd like to say howdy to everyone and hope everyone is doing well. Went to the track today after a 2 year hiatus and made some passes that were less than impressive (14.3 - 14.5) probably mostly due to the 3/4 tank of gas I had in the truck. Anyway after doing Test-N-Tune and winning 3 rounds of the Street Warrior competition I was in the staging lanes ready to do the 4th round semi's and noticed that when I put my truck in drive it didn't want to creep away at idle like it normally does. I checked the emergency brake and it was fine so I gave it just a bit of gas and it moved forward although it felt like something was holding it back a bit. Well the staging guy was waving me in so I moved in and did the race. I had a good reaction time (.56) and launched pretty good but it still felt like something was holding me back. Anyway, the 12 second Grand Prix I was racing caught me at the end of the track and passed me winning the race. After getting my timeslip it said I ran a 14.8 which is really bad. After checking everything out it felt like the front brakes were sticking or something so I started limping my way home and stopped at Wayne's Dyno and Performance and let the truck sit for a bit while talking to Wayne (Thanks for the assistance on your day off Wayne). After I left Wayne's house the truck felt fine until I hit the brakes again and it was back to feeling sluggish. I got her home and lifted the front end and both of the front tires could not be turned by bare hand at all. Finally to my question.........Has anyone experienced this issue with their trucks? I was thinking it was only the right front brake at first due to the heat coming from it at the track compared to the left side. Wayne and I were thinking the caliper was faulty but after getting it home and finding that both of them are sticking I'm wondering if it's the proportioning valve or master cylinder. Any thoughts would be appreciated.......Thanks!!!!!!! : )

Here's a plug for you Wayne.......Thanks again!!!!!!!!!

http://www.waynesdyno.net/

Michael Hoover
BLK Y2K R/T RC
13.996 @ 97.41mph
Hubert, NC
http://home.ec.rr.com/mhoover/

ScatDak
02-26-2008, 03:25 AM
Sounds like you have a a caliper or calipers that are hanging up.

Opie
02-26-2008, 07:40 AM
the only problems that i have ever had at the track with my brakes was that i ended up cracking both rotors. cause of heat stress.

BlueCCRT
02-26-2008, 10:32 AM
could be a hub bearing that is starting to lock up when it gets hot. I would think the hub bearing would make noise though.

chiller2484
02-26-2008, 12:50 PM
... I'm wondering if it's the proportioning valve or master cylinder. Any thoughts would be appreciated.......Thanks!!!!!!! : )

Michael Hoover
BLK Y2K R/T RC
13.996 @ 97.41mph
Hubert, NC
http://home.ec.rr.com/mhoover/

i'm guessing you've checked the fluid levels and all that stuff. sounds like something isn't getting enough pressure to release the brakes when you let off the pedal.

btw, welcome to the new and improved DRTC. :biggthumpup:

grapejuice1998
02-26-2008, 03:42 PM
After I left Wayne's house the truck felt fine until I hit the brakes again and it was back to feeling sluggish. I got her home and lifted the front end and both of the front tires could not be turned by bare hand at all. Finally to my question.........Has anyone experienced this issue with their trucks? I was thinking it was only the right front brake at first due to the heat coming from it at the track compared to the left side. Wayne and I were thinking the caliper was faulty but after getting it home and finding that both of them are sticking I'm wondering if it's the proportioning valve or master cylinder. Any thoughts would be appreciated.......Thanks!!!!!!! : )

When that happened to my R/T it was my calipers sticking, but others have had the rubber brake lines collapse inside and cause the same thing to happen.

dakman7
02-27-2008, 02:52 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I'm looking at replacing both calipers and flushing the brake system and see where that takes me first. I'll probably go ahead and replace the rotors, pads and repack the berings while I'm at it.

M. Hoover

DRaven
02-28-2008, 05:15 PM
You won't be repacking the bearings; ours are sealed and not replaceable.

Calipers are the typical culprit, but it is unusual to have both go at the same time. Does your truck sit alot? Sitting for prolonged times will kill the hell out of seals in all your parts. Trannys and mains will dry up and start to spew the next time you drive the truck. Stands to reason the piston seals in the calipers would do the same.

QwikKota
02-29-2008, 01:31 PM
Anyway after doing Test-N-Tune and winning 3 rounds of the Street Warrior competition I was in the staging lanes ready to do the 4th round semi's and noticed that when I put my truck in drive it didn't want to creep away at idle like it normally does. I checked the emergency brake and it was fine so I gave it just a bit of gas and it moved forward although it felt like something was holding it back a bit.

Try the cheap method of pulling the slider pins, cleaning them real well, use light grit sandpaper if they are crudded up and re-lube them with anti-seize etc and new boot seals if they need em. Much cheaper than new calipers. Be careful when you are torquing them back in, the threads in the knuckle are very weak. I'd hit them with some liquid wrench before un-bolting them. Hit the rotor and pad with brake cleaner before driving it.

BluRT00
02-29-2008, 08:51 PM
Well I had a brake issue on my 2000 R/T CC. The left front locked up on me, and the right side started dragging. All of this after running the truck hard, I ended up finding my left front caliper piston seal cracked in half. Than my proportioning valve had a back plastic cap blown off, letting it seep fluid. I ended up goin the new calipers, powerslot rotors,pads, stainless steal brake lines, new proportioning valve. Havent had anymore issues and its had 2500 miles on it since I redid the system. Hopefully you'res wont be so involved. Dan

dakman7
04-04-2008, 02:26 AM
Well, I finally got the brakes fixed. I decided to rebuild the the entire front brakes so I replaced the brake lines, calipers, rotors, and pads. They seem to work fine now so I'll be ready for Mopars at the Rock at Rockingham Dragstrip.......can't wait. Got the slicks and tubes in as well and should have them mounted within the next week or so.