PDA

View Full Version : Dakota not running right

SuperDakota
06-13-2009, 02:14 AM
Ive got a 03 R/T 50,000 miles ,just put a supercharger ,Hughes Cam ,Double roller chain ,and Ported the heads , just got it back together and not its only running on a couple cylinders , and when it does start its so GASSY in the shop u gotta run out with your eyes burning ,VERY RICH ,I checked everything i know , Not sure if its the timing or a fuel problem , wont run below 1500 rpm s , and its very rough above that , does smooth out a little at higher rpm s , checked wires , timing , and some other things ...what happened to it .... ran perfect before

BryanRT360
06-13-2009, 03:02 AM
maybe a tooth off when you put the distributor drive back in?

SuperDakota
06-13-2009, 03:09 AM
I m sure i have it right , Its in line with # 2 cylinder ...Man i just cant find out whats going on ....What wouild cause it to run so rich....its like it loading up

2003dakotart
06-13-2009, 10:46 AM
what size injectors?

SuperDakota
06-13-2009, 02:20 PM
Stock injectors....

grapejuice1998
06-13-2009, 08:40 PM
Ive got a 03 R/T 50,000 miles ,just put a supercharger ,Hughes Cam ,Double roller chain ,and Ported the heads , just got it back together and not its only running on a couple cylinders , and when it does start its so GASSY in the shop u gotta run out with your eyes burning ,VERY RICH ,I checked everything i know , Not sure if its the timing or a fuel problem , wont run below 1500 rpm s , and its very rough above that , does smooth out a little at higher rpm s , checked wires , timing , and some other things ...what happened to it .... ran perfect before

Did you set the fuel sync after you did the cam?
It's set by where the distributor base is turned to, just like you used to do with timing. You put a scanner in the OBD II port, go to the set sync screen, loosen the distributor and turn it until it's at least +4.

SuperDakota
06-14-2009, 12:02 AM
I just set the dist. base and the rotor to the mark on the black plastis plate inside the Dist. .....Do i have to set the computer too

Adobedude
06-14-2009, 12:08 AM
Gotta get the fuel sync set with a DRB

I've installed a couple cams, but it would always run...This last time (today) it wouldn't.. I moved the distributor 1/8" it runs, but I still have to get the Sync set...No way around it.

SuperDakota
06-14-2009, 12:19 AM
Ok ..This sounds like the problem ....So what all do i need to do ....Thanks for all the help guys

Adobedude
06-14-2009, 01:33 AM
Drive to a trustworthy dealer, shell out 90 bucks, and tell em to set the fuel sync at +4.

Be nice, Tell the tech your there because you trust them.

If you're like me...It's the ONLY time I EVER let anyone drive my truck let alone work on it.

Last time the only Viper cerified mechanic in NM did it, and he came out to ask about it because he dug the shit outta it...I'm pretty sure he did it right.

SuperDakota
06-14-2009, 01:41 AM
Man i dont know if it will make it that far , its so rich it runs REAL ROUGH ...but ill give it a try ....it used a 1/4 tank of gas just starting it a few times trying to get it figured out

SuperDakota
06-14-2009, 01:43 AM
Nice Trucks guys.....

grapejuice1998
06-14-2009, 04:58 PM
I just set the dist. base and the rotor to the mark on the black plastis plate inside the Dist. .....Do i have to set the computer too

Like I said, you'll need a scanner that can plug into the OBD II port and has a "set sync" menu. Mine is a Snap On MT 2500, which is very common in most repair shops. The dealership has a DRB III, which is more of a DC only item. Have it set to somewhere in the +4 range and you should be good to go.

The distributor does distribute the spark, but turning the base of it as if to adjust timing, adjusts the fuel sync instead. The timing can't be manually adjusted like a normal distributor.

Adobedude
06-14-2009, 05:18 PM
Alan,
I might call around for a shop with a MT 2500, what cartriges do the need?

DP

BryanRT360
06-14-2009, 05:28 PM
13a IIRC

Adobedude
06-14-2009, 06:04 PM
That's cartrige number?

When's the cam due? Monday or Tuesday?
Sorry about the dealy, I was involved in bidding a big project, but I drooped out because the plans were so FUBARED.

grapejuice1998
06-14-2009, 06:04 PM
Alan,
I might call around for a shop with a MT 2500, what cartriges do the need?

DP

Mine has Domestic thru '99 and it still works on newer vehicles, so pretty much any shop that has a 2500 will be able to do the job for you, provided that they know how to use the scanner.

grapejuice1998
06-14-2009, 06:05 PM
That's cartrige number?

Sorry about the dealy, I was involved in bidding a big project, but I drooped out because the plans were so FUBARED.

No, that's a "key" number.

grapejuice1998
06-14-2009, 06:08 PM
Man i dont know if it will make it that far , its so rich it runs REAL ROUGH ...but ill give it a try ....it used a 1/4 tank of gas just starting it a few times trying to get it figured out

Mark the base of the distributor and make another mark on the manifold or block that lines up with the first one. Now, start the truck and have someone keep it lit for you. Loosen the distributor hold-down and slightly rotate it to one side of the mark. You should be able to tell if you're going in the right direction, really quick. If the engine starts to smooth out, you're going the right way. Stop when you can get it to idle in gear, then go get it set for real.

BryanRT360
06-14-2009, 08:29 PM
That's cartrige number?

yeah I'm pretty sure I used the 13a key.

cam should be here monday. dont worry bout it. I get busy too and forget the little things sometimes:biggthumpup: