PDA

View Full Version : Dead Battery Draw

Mike S
05-11-2009, 11:03 PM
Hello,
im new to the forum & im hoping somone can help. The problem im having is that the battery is going dead. With Everything off including interior lights & under the hood lamp, im getting a 4.13-4.30 amp draw coming from the 50amp park & int lamp fuse in the fuse box under the hood.
Any Ideas?

99 Dakota RC

tcuillier
05-12-2009, 03:04 AM
Hello,
im new to the forum & im hoping somone can help. The problem im having is that the battery is going dead. With Everything off including interior lights & under the hood lamp, im getting a 4.13-4.30 amp draw coming from the 50amp park & int lamp fuse in the fuse box under the hood.
Any Ideas?

99 Dakota RC

While monitoring the amperage draw as you have been doing, start pulling fuses one at a time until you see the amperage draw stop. Once the amp draw stops, you will have isolated it to a particular circuit.

Tom

PeteRT
05-12-2009, 03:18 AM
Hello,
Any Ideas?

99 Dakota RC

this may be a stupid question.. but are you sure the ashtray and glove box lights are out when you shut the compartments?
pete

Adobedude
05-12-2009, 03:33 AM
Is that a "Is refrigerator light on when you close the door" kinda thing?

:nana:

Mike S
05-12-2009, 03:46 AM
Yeah i checked to make sure the glove box light turned off also i pulled every fuse one at a time under the hood & in the cab. What ever is staying on i can't hear it or see it, im thinking their is a relay possibly sticking but i don't know. A friend has a 99 manual, i'll see what all that circut feeds & keep u posted.
Thanx

Mike S
05-17-2009, 08:45 PM
Well I still haven't got the shop manual. so today i figured i'll try disconecting the factory amp under the R/H kick panel. Sure enough the draw stops.

So the problem is either the amp , which works fine or most likely
Thier are 2 purple wires on the larger of the 2 plugs going to the amp that are staying energized all the time.

I disconected the stereo to see if that would cut the power to purple wires
but it didn't.

Does anyone know if those wires are supposed to be live all the time or what feeds them power ?

Thanx,
Mike