PDA

View Full Version : The search feature is retarded...

jweltch
05-09-2009, 06:59 PM
So I'm trying to do a quick search for spark plug gaps on the forum...

First thing I tried in the search was "sparkplug gap". Oops, "Sorry, we have a 4 word minimum on the search feature therefore we are ignoring your entire request".

Ok then, "spark plug gap spec" - "Sorry you must wait 10 seconds between searches". gRr...

ok, wait 10 seconds, "spark plug gap spec" - "Sorry 4 word minimum on the search feature".

WTF.. I googled it instead. The search feature on this forum is about as helpful as the one on the Delphi forums.

Edit: I tried it again, and it's a "4 LETTER" minimum on the search. Okay then.. "spark plug gapp"?

Five9Dak
05-09-2009, 07:26 PM
Yeh it pretty worthless for automotive related shorthand.

I think the reasoning is bots can bring the server to a halt if they run a lot of common short word searches like "of"

GoFastGray
05-09-2009, 09:40 PM
yea, I hate the search feature here. I don't think I have ever gotten it to come up with any threads!

hskr
05-10-2009, 04:32 AM
Yeh it pretty worthless for automotive related shorthand.

I think the reasoning is bots can bring the server to a halt if they run a lot of common short word searches like "of"

Yeah, because there is so much trafffic on this site to worry about bots slowing it down. Just change the account approval method and you will eliminate 95% of the bots and you can puit the search back to normal.

2003dakotart
05-14-2009, 04:43 PM
I don't like the 4 letter requirement. I was trying to search for "SCT" threads on here the other day and gave up.

jweltch
05-14-2009, 05:06 PM
I don't think this place is moderated or admin'ed any more. I haven't seen or heard from Steve F or Todd O in months. Who else has the controls to this place, and even more importantly: Do they care?

2003dakotart
05-14-2009, 05:16 PM
I'm not on here much. I really disklike the format and all of the huge buttons like "DRTC PAID MEMBER", etc above each post. on my computer at home, I have most of the images blocked with firefox.

this format is way to cluttered for me.

bad360rt
05-14-2009, 06:50 PM
I don't think this place is moderated or admin'ed any more. I haven't seen or heard from Steve F or Todd O in months. Who else has the controls to this place, and even more importantly: Do they care?

All of the execs are moderators, and yes we care :D I agree that the four letter search rule isn't needed now that we moderate registration. I'll see if I can figure out how to turn it off, or get Steve to do it.