PDA

View Full Version : damn ball joints ( I think )

03DakR/T
05-05-2009, 07:18 AM
yeah. damnit. haha. well there is a lot of sqeaking goin on under the front of the truck. i carried it to my uncle who runs a shop, and he says ball joints. i was thinking it was the shocks, because im not hearing a poppin noise when i turn the wheel left n right. i am however hearing the squeak when i turn the wheel. and if i turn the wheel slowly it does it louder. so i called the dealership told him what it was doing, and they say its the shocks. i want some imput before i go payin a whole lot of money in labor for the wrong damn thing lol.

if it was a shock, would they squeak when you turn the wheel because of the weight shifting? cuz it squeaks even just getting in and out of the truck. i have never heard a ball joint do that, but i havent known my uncle to be wrong many times either so what do you guys think?

Intense RT
05-05-2009, 08:00 AM
I searched the net and you jack up the lower control arm a few inches, and pry under the tire going up and down and look for play. Do a search to get more details.

03DakR/T
05-05-2009, 03:23 PM
ok thanks man i appreciate it. i assume if there is play, then that means its the ball joints correct?

jsd512
05-06-2009, 12:19 AM
Here is another indication that the ball joints are worn - look at your tires and see it the very inside and outside portions of the tire are wearing down while the center section remains untouched. If they are then it is the ball joints. I just had mine (all 4) replaced with Moog. It cost me around $650.

jsd512
05-06-2009, 12:20 AM
I searched the net and you jack up the lower control arm a few inches, and pry under the tire going up and down and look for play. Do a search to get more details.

+1 I saw my shop do this.

hskr
05-06-2009, 02:29 AM
I just had mine (all 4) replaced with Moog. It cost me around $650.

Fuck!! I'm glad I did my own ball joints. Only cost me the price of the ball joints and a few hours of my own time.

sunike32
05-06-2009, 03:27 AM
Fuck!! I'm glad I did my own ball joints. Only cost me the price of the ball joints and a few hours of my own time.

x2! Did a number of other things at the same time too!