PDA

View Full Version : Water pump...

360power
04-29-2009, 03:32 PM
My water pump has developed a slow leak. This is the second water pump. I had the dealership replace the stock one under warranty for the same reason (leak) over 2 years ago. Now this one is leaking, so I'm guessing it's the seal.

The R/T is still under warranty, but I would like to replace it myself instead of having the dealership piddle around my truck again.

Is this a moderately difficult task? I replaced the waterpump in my dad's slant six pickup many years ago, but I had room to work around in. I figure I'll have to remove the clutch fan first and I'm guessing that involves taking that big nut off?

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

razman131
04-29-2009, 04:11 PM
be prepared for a 3-4 hour endeavor here....

all the accessories gotta come off.... its pretty easy tho.... ac comp to one side, alt to the other....

get the heavy duty replacement pump, hoses (esp the bypass one), and a 180 stat if ya havent done that mod yet and a new belt. also be sure ya got the heater hose pipe and o-ring with the new pump.

depending on how old yuor truck is belt tensioner and idler pully as well.

make sure all the gasket surfaces are SPOTLESS before ya put it back together.

360power
04-29-2009, 04:18 PM
Thanks!

The truck has about 13,000 miles, so would I still need to replace the hoses?

I'm guessing the shroud will have to come off too?

Thanks again!

TurboBlew
04-29-2009, 05:45 PM
13k on a 2002? The hoses are cheap. You could get away with keeping the upper radiator hose. The bypass and heater hoses Id replace because of accessibility once its back together.
They cost about $9 at NAPA.

360power
04-30-2009, 11:51 PM
Yup, 13,000.

Dumb question, but which one is the bypass hose? I know the heater hose/metal tube is on the right hand side. Is it the one on the very top that you can barely see?

PeteRT
05-01-2009, 12:19 AM
that's the one.... connects the waterpump and the intake manifold...

Rick Adams
05-01-2009, 11:13 AM
[QUOTE=360power;57108]Yup, 13,000.

It's not too bad of a job, & yeah the shroud has to come off with the fan. It'll be a plus if you have someone help when pulling them out together. The nut on the fan is probably the biggest challenge; leave the belt in place to help hold the pulley, or you'll need a spanner wrench to hold it. :goodluck:

BlackDak59
05-01-2009, 11:43 PM
i just got a open ended wrench and a few swift hits got it of

Nolan
05-02-2009, 12:17 AM
Keep track of what bolts go where. It's very possible to put one of the long bolts in the wrong hole and do serious damage, as in broken timing cover and timing gear.

This is what happens when you put a long bolt in a short hole! (http://forums.delphiforums.com/dakotart/messages?msg=50117.33)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/barkleyfan/auto/7-10-08008.jpg

Nolan

sunike32
05-02-2009, 12:25 AM
Yikes!

360power
05-03-2009, 11:23 AM
Yikes indeed! I'll make double damn sure to keep up with which ones go where.

Thanks again to all of ya. Went to Advance Friday to get a quote on a waterpump. Told them I wanted a new heavy duty one and the best they got: $72.99. Not bad.

I have a 15" adjustable wrench, so I'm guessing that and a rubber mallet will do the trick in taking that fan off.

I'll be starting on an adventure very soon:goodluck:

razman131
05-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Yikes indeed! I'll make double damn sure to keep up with which ones go where.

Thanks again to all of ya. Went to Advance Friday to get a quote on a waterpump. Told them I wanted a new heavy duty one and the best they got: $72.99. Not bad.

I have a 15" adjustable wrench, so I'm guessing that and a rubber mallet will do the trick in taking that fan off.

I'll be starting on an adventure very soon:goodluck:

ya, not bad. my severe duty one from the Navy base auto parts place was ~$69

just make sure ya hit the nut the right way, IIRC its backasswards.

360power
05-06-2009, 01:47 PM
just make sure ya hit the nut the right way, IIRC its backasswards.

Is it backwards? I've read on here that it's the regular way....lefty loosey facing the firewall.

G-Man
05-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Its NOT backwards, lefty loosey

Rick Adams
05-07-2009, 10:57 AM
Is it backwards? I've read on here that it's the regular way....lefty loosey facing the firewall.

NO! Right hand thread ; off is counter-clockwise ( lefty loosey ) facing the firewall :)

jweltch
05-31-2009, 11:05 PM
all the accessories gotta come off.... its pretty easy tho.... ac comp to one side, alt to the other....

If you make sure all the alternator wires are disconnected (there's only 2 - DISCONNECT THE BATTERY FIRST) you can remove the entire accessory bracket with the A/C pump and alternator as a single piece. I'm usually able to just lay it on the inner fender with a big towel under it and I'm good to go.

360power
07-08-2009, 11:25 PM
If you make sure all the alternator wires are disconnected (there's only 2 - DISCONNECT THE BATTERY FIRST) you can remove the entire accessory bracket with the A/C pump and alternator as a single piece. I'm usually able to just lay it on the inner fender with a big towel under it and I'm good to go.

Ah, ok, that would make it easier.

Update.....

Well, a couple of weeks after I started this post I got up under the truck to have a quick look around before I started to take things apart and noticed my transmission was leaking AGAIN for the third time. The same sloooow leak as it always had ever since I bought the truck, even with the stealership taking the tranny out twice in the past to replace the seals among other things.

So, with only a few more weeks of warranty left, I took it back and they replaced the water pump (again) and took the tranny back out (again) to replace the front seals.

I really appreciate the great info, and I'm going to keep it because I'm sure I'll have another leaky water pump in the near future.....