PDA

View Full Version : Weird thing just happened.

RTZoD
04-24-2009, 11:11 PM
Went to get in the Dak today. Its been sitting since yesterday. Got in turned the key and it barely turned over. Then stopped cause the battery was dead.
So I jumped it off with the work truck and it started up. But ran like it was loading up and wouldnt idle. Started smoking as if it flooded. I would let off the gas and it would die. So i held it at about 1000 rpm's and it seemed to run fine. Then I let up on the gas and died again. A little bit of backfiring was going on during this.

After a few minutes holding it at idle it started to clear up. And it started to idle again. Took it down the road and seemed to run fine.Got back to the house and it started up and idled fine after that. I at first thought it jumped timing. But thats apparently not the issue. It might be a coil going out? I think the battery died due to my amp being hooked up directly to the battery. Could it be that the voltage was so low from the dead battery that some electronics were not working properly? With the battery charged it seems to have all the issues gone.

Nolan
04-24-2009, 11:17 PM
Yes, with a dead or low battery, at idle the alternator does not put out enough current to keep the battery voltage above the 11.5 volts necessary for the electronics to function correctly.

The stock oem battery is notorious for dying and causing the exact symptoms you just described. The engine will crank and if it starts run poorly under 1,000-1,200 rpm.

Nolan

2003dakotart
04-24-2009, 11:21 PM
My truck did that after sitting for awhile. the MSD was pulling so much juice from an already dead battery that it would just die at idle and not restart.

I charged the battery and all was good.

RTZoD
04-24-2009, 11:24 PM
Awesome I was scared shitless. Thought I hosed something up. weird thing is I haven't done anything under the hood except replace the foglight fuse. So my fault diagnosis is a good one. Thank god for deductive reasoning. Scary though when you dont have a clue. I had a house moment

TurboBlew
04-24-2009, 11:36 PM
all FI vehicles need a good battery to function correctly!

Adobedude
04-25-2009, 12:14 AM
Hence ditching the underdrive pulleys.
Mine gave me fits.

RTZoD
04-25-2009, 12:26 AM
Just checked to see how many amps the Amp was pulling when the key was off. And its 0.16 amps. Either my battery is uber weak or the amp has gremilns in it.