PDA

View Full Version : Battery and charging issues

emwhiteR/T
04-16-2009, 02:06 AM
Well I have some electrical bugs that I am trying to figure out in my truck. Anywho, I checked the voltage on my battery and it was saying 11.5v's or so and it was leaking acid out the top. So I cleaned up the battery and put it on a charge outside of the truck.

I charged it for a good hour and a half or so and it went up to about 12.5v (low tech voltmeter) or so. It was still leaking acid at the top. So I brought it to O'reillys and got a new one.

I put the new one in and checked the voltage as the truck was running. It appears that it is only getting up to about 12.5 - 13v at idle with and without all of the accessories on (lights, ac fan, etc).

I decided to take the Alternator out. I was going to replace it with a O'reilly's one but the reman had a pulley that was bent in to the first rib. They were gonna swap the pulleys but I got impatient and left.

The next day I had my wife take the alternator to a Starter and Alternator rebuilder in town. He called me up and said that he doesn't think that is my issue but a few things could be changed out. So I told him to do it and he charged me $40.

I put the alternator back on and it is still only charging 12.5v-13v with the truck running. The truck off is only getting 11.5v's or so.

Can anyone point me in a direction to start checking out what could be causing this?

I do have static in my FM band when the truck is running but it goes away as soon as I kill it. I can only hear the noise in the non amplified speakers but the sub is clean.

I have some weird electrical things too such as homelink button thing won't open my garage door when the truck is running. If I remote start my truck, the doors won't unlock.

This is really starting to drive me batty, so any help is greatly appreciated!

emwhiteR/T
04-16-2009, 03:13 AM
Well some good news is that I took the truck to O'reillys and the battery showed over 12v's and 100% charge. The alternator said 13.98v and it was good.

So I am wondering if there are wires under the dash causing my misery with the garage door opener and locks...