PDA

View Full Version : steering knuckle help ASAP

ThundeR/T
04-06-2009, 07:53 PM
passenger side steering knuckle caliper slide bolt stripped this is the oversized one that took a dump now...friend says to cut a bolt in there cut it drill and tap it.then tighten the slide bolt back up...

any one else have this issue and whats the remedy?

good ol' dodge wants 1000 bucks for the 1 ONLY!:jerkit:

2k1AmberR/T
04-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Try a junkyard? Probably 50-100 bucks...

PeteRT
04-07-2009, 03:16 AM
passenger side steering knuckle caliper slide bolt stripped this is the oversized one that took a dump now...friend says to cut a bolt in there cut it drill and tap it.then tighten the slide bolt back up...

any one else have this issue and whats the remedy?

good ol' dodge wants 1000 bucks for the 1 ONLY!:jerkit:

you cant put a bolt in there... well, you can, but you're going to have to increase the diameter of it a good bit to match the caliper slide hole. ... i did it with electrical tape, LOL.. i wouldn't suggest that.

if you're handy enough to drill & tap.. you're handy enough to drill/tap/helicoil & just buy a new stud.

Pete

ThundeR/T
04-07-2009, 03:23 AM
the problem was the hole not the slide pin...im gunna bring it to my buddies machine shop and have it done his way..he has the proper tools to do something of this nature...

the hub ass. i pulled off my truck isnt like the new one i just bought ...dodge replaced it last year and its already shot...the one i have says BOSCH 406ABS and a few other numbers the hub itself looks very beefy and has 6 teeth,cogs, what ever you want to call it.the other one is smooth all around and the studs are almost flush with the back but the bad one is so completly different...i want someones blood for screwing this up.

theres just no such thing as honesty anymore and its a shame :bs::angrywife:

sorry if i rambled,run on sentences im just very frustrated paying 2 grand for a warranty that i cant even trust...shoulda went to the boobie bar with those benji's lol

Nolan
04-07-2009, 06:48 PM
the hub ass. i pulled off my truck isnt like the new one i just bought ...dodge replaced it last year and its already shot...the one i have says BOSCH 406ABS and a few other numbers the hub itself looks very beefy and has 6 teeth,cogs, what ever you want to call it.the other one is smooth all around and the studs are almost flush with the back but the bad one is so completly different...i want someones blood for screwing this up.

The hub is different on trucks with 4 wheel ABS. If your truck has 4 wheel ABS you need the BOSCH 406ABS style hub. If you only have rear wheel ABS, you can run either the smooth style hub (non-ABS) or the ABS style.

As far as the stripped threads in the spindle, you can install a Helicoil very easily. I don't have the part number, but hopefully someone will chime in with the part number.

Nolan

ThundeR/T
04-08-2009, 02:09 AM
i wouldnt recommend the heli coil my friend did it in his 4x4 and the caliper bot ripped out and dug a deep gash around the whole rim...i just went to a junk yard and sucked it up and paid the 400 bucks for the spindle and it came with a spare caliper.and a set of tail lights lol...i had to justify spending the money so i wanted some extras:biggthumpup: plus the good thing is it was a gov. truck and was hit in the rear. 32xxx original miles:burnout: