PDA

View Full Version : rear mount turbo

ThundeR/T
04-05-2009, 02:53 AM
real quick and straight forward question. what kinda boost can a stock 5.9 handle on stock fuel..or what can be upgraded to get 10 pounds out of it...i do know turbos and how they work, lol but not many people opt for a turbo on their dakota so i dont know what the outcome would be.plus was going for the sts style rear mount but i planned on fabbing up my own system ...so i would just like some input.:biggthumpup:

bad360rt
04-05-2009, 11:48 AM
10psi is no problem on the stock block, providing you have a good tune and enough fuel. There's a guy on here who has an STS setup on his truck, tuned with SCT, running 11's. :biggthumpup:

ThundeR/T
04-05-2009, 05:13 PM
wish we could get him in here to elaborate on his setup and tune. can i get away with 24lb injectors, 255walbro pump and a fpr? and i assume ill need a tuner?:goodluck:

bad360rt
04-05-2009, 09:44 PM
You can send him a pm, his s/n is turboed r/t. :biggthumpup:

mtlcafan79
04-06-2009, 01:20 AM
Call Chris at PIE. He's the one tuning it.

http://www.performanceinjectionequipment.com

slvr03dakrt
04-06-2009, 03:56 PM
Call Chris at PIE. He's the one tuning it.

http://www.performanceinjectionequipment.com

Chris seems like a pretty straight up guy. I'm getting him to tune my 408 right now he is putting together a tune for me. To bad I don't live closer or I'd just drop it off with him for a week or two.

ThundeR/T
04-06-2009, 04:02 PM
well whats the most reliable power gain you can put on these trucks,i.e heads,intake cam..

SB440R/T
04-06-2009, 04:30 PM
Would everyone stop giving him business, I want my truck to be finished. He is only one person, haha. He is a good dude. Fixed my head and shipped it back to me. Now if I could only get me headers back.

ThundeR/T
04-06-2009, 04:47 PM
im really debating what kind of "big" mod i want to do on my truck. ive been lookin at nitrous,turbos,and all motor..ive had previous turbo cars, but i prefer to stay off the smack, what kind of work needs to go into making a 408? can stock heads ported and polished flow good with the motor,what size injectors,stuff like that. any input would be great plus i see a few 408 guys in here so please speak up.. o and what about daily driveability how does the motor handle it:biggthumpup:

Rtspeeddemon
04-06-2009, 06:23 PM
Nitrous is the cheapest route to make big power can spray a 150 shot on a stock motor.

Blower can make big power as well with 600 rwhp seeming the limit unless you go into something like a Procharger F1 series which is huge dollars as well and overkill for our stock blocks. However as you approach the 500+rwhp get ready for endless issues with belt slippage as blowers are prone to this.

Turbo's powerwise can't be beat, however extremely costly as you are custom fabricating many things. They beat a blower hands down as the blower is consuming a great deal of the power being made to turn the blowers internal gears.

Stock heads - Don't port them as they are already prone to cracks in stock form. Your going to have to fork out for some aftermarket heads to make the big power and cam accordingly.

slvr03dakrt
04-06-2009, 06:46 PM
Would everyone stop giving him business, I want my truck to be finished. He is only one person, haha. He is a good dude. Fixed my head and shipped it back to me. Now if I could only get me headers back.

No you must wait. I need my shit tuned.:finger: Whatever happened to your black truck I've been waiting on an update and I thought your amberfire was suppose to be a dd non-mod truck I call :bs: on that.

slvr03dakrt
04-06-2009, 06:50 PM
im really debating what kind of "big" mod i want to do on my truck. ive been lookin at nitrous,turbos,and all motor..ive had previous turbo cars, but i prefer to stay off the smack, what kind of work needs to go into making a 408? can stock heads ported and polished flow good with the motor,what size injectors,stuff like that. any input would be great plus i see a few 408 guys in here so please speak up.. o and what about daily driveability how does the motor handle it:biggthumpup:

I've always gone with a 408 and a little smack for the easier tuning and better streetability. I previously had a mild 408 with aluminum heads and it was a strong runner on the nitrous and I drove it everyday and sprayed it at the track to put down some good numbers. I ended up breaking a cast crank (should of went forged) so I built a 408 that is more radical with a bigger cam and ported heads I plan on spraying it with 100-150shot and I hope it runs in the very low 11's or high 10's

SB440R/T
04-06-2009, 07:28 PM
No you must wait. I need my shit tuned.:finger: Whatever happened to your black truck I've been waiting on an update and I thought your amberfire was suppose to be a dd non-mod truck I call :bs: on that.

Yea a broken bolt in the head led to new heads, then why not a cam, and some RR. Already had the intake from the black one.

The black one should be done this month. Ran into an issue with the converter. Only one man working and increased work from everyone here means no good for me. Oh well.

Five9Dak
04-06-2009, 09:31 PM
24lbers won't be nearly enough. I'd say go for 50lb highZ injectors.

(quiet duner)

ThundeR/T
04-07-2009, 12:40 PM
yea my friend has an f1 blower on his notchback. hes got the 3-4" wide belt on it..ran a 10 something at 138 on 7 cyls cracked piston and a blown headgasket:rockwoot:

Duner
04-07-2009, 12:58 PM
24lbers won't be nearly enough. I'd say go for 50lb highZ injectors.

(quiet duner)

:nana:

ThundeR/T
04-10-2009, 11:59 PM
an STS style rear mount is pretty straight forward to make, im prolly gunna start putting together a kit. what kinda turbo can our motors spool,i planned on a 60 trim:biggthumpup:

drtswinger
08-05-2009, 03:17 PM
What kind of drivability are you looking at as far as driving in wet weather? I spoke with Chris from PIE yesterday for about 45 minutes and he has me very interested in the setup. Im just concerned with having the air intake under the truck like that, and not running an intercooler in Texas heat.

perfinj
08-07-2009, 02:43 AM
Hey guys Chris from PIE here just looking over some of the reply's. David I guess I will see you Monday for you to pick up your black truck. I liked driving it so much I was going to tell you it would be another week or so. HAHA

SB440R/T
08-07-2009, 02:50 AM
That's it I'm picking it up tomorrow. Haha
Hey guys Chris from PIE here just looking over some of the reply's. David I guess I will see you Monday for you to pick up your black truck. I liked driving it so much I was going to tell you it would be another week or so. HAHA

mtlcafan79
08-07-2009, 02:54 AM
That's it I'm picking it up tomorrow. Haha

I can only imagine what happened to mine while it was there. I swore the bottles were full when I dropped it off... :jester:

perfinj
08-07-2009, 02:55 AM
You will have to come earlie I will be at the track with it by ten oclock HAHA.

perfinj
08-07-2009, 02:56 AM
NOW NOW I have to test them properly. If they make it they are screwed together for LIFE!

SB440R/T
08-07-2009, 02:58 AM
You will have to come earlie I will be at the track with it by ten oclock HAHA.

Let me know what it runs. Haha

SB440R/T
08-07-2009, 03:00 AM
NOW NOW I have to test them properly. If they make it they are screwed together for LIFE!

Haha. Good to see you get on here.

Does Cecil make you have a fire jacket?

perfinj
08-07-2009, 03:07 AM
I try as much as I can to communicate with the guys on here. As far as the fire suite they have not asked me to wear one. I am sure the rules state any forced induction needs a fire suite. It used to be nitrous only.

mtlcafan79
08-07-2009, 03:12 AM
Just a single layer fire jacket, no suit just yet. Any non factory forced induction or nitrous vehicle will need one. If you upgrade a factory turbo or blower you technically need one as well. Capitol down here requires blow down tubes with nitrous in the cab, in the bed they don't care. They haven't said anything to me about a jacket, but I wear mine anyways. I don't know if Cecil enforces it or not. You can get a cheap one on Summit for $40 or so.

SB440R/T
08-07-2009, 03:12 AM
Hmm. Well I will have to find one then.

2k1AmberR/T
08-07-2009, 04:17 AM

LOL! :jester:

ThundeR/T
08-17-2009, 12:03 AM
this thread got severly hijacked:bs::sign_hijack: think we can get back on topic please?

drtswinger
09-03-2009, 09:13 PM
this thread got severly hijacked:bs::sign_hijack: think we can get back on topic please?

Agreed! I want more details

dakrt23
10-12-2009, 08:54 PM
i just now found this thread but i am in the process of laying out the specs for the setup i want to run in the future, this includes an STS remote setup as well...

on a stock short block i would say 10 pounds is just fine... but with cast pistons you will want to keep detonation and cylinder temps/pressures in line so a conservative tune and alky/meth injection is almost mandatory...

there was a long debate on an LX forum about intercooling versus meth injection... long story short most people agreed that intercooling is preferred if it is in the budget and is large enough and efficient enough, and that alky injection is a more effective method, especially dollar for dollar... everyone agreed that both is the way to go if you can though... but a good point was made to not TUNE for alky injection but rather use it as an extra safety net on top of a quality tune... i have heard of some pretty crazy RWHP gains from alky injection too...

as for heads/cam/intake etc... i would recommend eddy heads as they are the best bang for the buck... i would recommend shady dell porting if you have the means but on a factory shortblock it wouldnt be absolutely necessary... on an all out stroker combo i would say yes though...

camshaft... i like the specs on KRC's turbo camshaft... thats a good out-of-the-box ready to go turbo cam for these motors... but its up to you...

ive been doing a lot of research on turbos and these trucks and starting to get a feel for whats needed... thanks to SCT and a couple of guinea pigs that laid the path first, its actually a pretty straight forward setup...

let me know if you have any other questions or have found anything else about remote turbos on these trucks as i am really trying to get my ducks in a row when the time comes...