PDA

View Full Version : How much of a pain in the ass?

RTZoD
03-29-2009, 01:26 PM
How much of a pain in the ass is it to change out heater cores in a 1999 dak?
Got in it yesterday and noticed I had light steam coming from the center vent. I have always noticed a slight antifreeze smell since I bought it. Just wondering if its as much of a pain in the ass as my S10 was. I had to pull the entire dash out of that thing.

bad360rt
03-29-2009, 02:15 PM
I've never done it, but I believe you have to pull the entire dash, so it's a pretty big pain in the ass.

RTZoD
03-29-2009, 02:25 PM
Grrrr I like my heat though. I hate cold weather. I know summer is coming but I would just be happier knowing its there when I need it. Guess its going to be a weekend project. Just like everything else.

r/t_Rash
04-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Got in it yesterday and noticed I had light steam coming from the center vent. I have always noticed a slight antifreeze smell since I bought it. Just wondering if its as much of a pain in the ass as my S10 was. I had to pull the entire dash out of that thing.

i have a 99 rc r/t and i attempted to change my heater core half way in it i said screw it and let my shop finish the job. and yes the hole dash comes out its a pain.

Addicted2Blue00
04-02-2009, 06:38 PM
mine went out and yes the cold sucks, i rerouted the heater hose to stop the leak, from everyone ive talked to that has done it them self it was a PITA and time consuming, if they took it to someone as a shop or dealership it was costly to $350-$550 plus the price of the heater core, ive got a friend that works at a dodge dealership that does atleast a few a yr on daks n rangos, he quoted me $100-125 for labor as itll take him 2 hrs to do it.

grapejuice1998
04-02-2009, 06:50 PM

Enough of a pain in the ass that I'm going into my 2nd year with the damn thing bypassed. I barely got through our cold spells, by using an electric heater.

I really should and probably will tackle it soon though. While the A/C blows colder than ever, there is no moderating the temperature without a working heater core. It just blows cold, or you turn it off.

TurboBlew
04-02-2009, 07:28 PM
you can try flushing it first. Helped mine.

RTZoD
04-02-2009, 10:00 PM
I guess I will just buy a dc 12v heater :) I will look into it and see if I can find an easy way to do it. I changed the S10 heater core in about 4 hours. I had to take the entire dash out. So I know its gonna be somewhat of a pain in the ass.

grapejuice1998
04-02-2009, 10:58 PM
I guess I will just buy a dc 12v heater :) I will look into it and see if I can find an easy way to do it. I changed the S10 heater core in about 4 hours. I had to take the entire dash out. So I know its gonna be somewhat of a pain in the ass.

I believe the A/C has to be evac'd to remove the evaporator coil too.
I'm gonna do it before next Winter though and I ain't gonna farm it out. I refuse to pay mega $ for half the bolts and screws. I know how "they" work, lol.

RTZoD
04-03-2009, 12:10 AM
I totally agree. The last time i had my work van in the shop they hosed my boss for 280 bucks. I old them I accidentally used my spare key "which wasnt chipped for the van" and they said the computer just needed to be reset. It would spin over but not get gas. So i had them check out the fuel pump and they said it was fine. I got to the job 90 miles fromthe house and it did the same damn thing. Turned out it was the fuel pump. They also put shocks on one of our other vans and didn't put the nuts on the lower brackets. So a week of vibrations and the bolts fell out then it bounced like a SO Cal low rider. I vow never to take a car/truck to them again.