PDA

View Full Version : Im lost about his stuff!

rhurley
03-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Alright so i may sound dumb, But i am seriously confused about all this stuff. I need help. Whats the difference between. PCM, SCT, ECU, Mopar perfromance, flashing, data logging?? Im lost and have no idea. I have a stock motor with a cai, and a full 3 inch exhaust. However i want to get a superchips tuner. And il be putting Nitrous on it When my kit arrives. Any help explaining this would be sweet. this is my first fuel injested car.

G-Man
03-07-2009, 09:05 PM
Alright so i may sound dumb, But i am seriously confused about all this stuff. I need help. Whats the difference between. PCM, SCT, ECU, Mopar perfromance, flashing, data logging?? Im lost and have no idea. I have a stock motor with a cai, and a full 3 inch exhaust. However i want to get a superchips tuner. And il be putting Nitrous on it When my kit arrives. Any help explaining this would be sweet. this is my first fuel injested car.

That's a lot to answer in one reply

rhurley
03-07-2009, 09:20 PM
HAHA true. Sorry didnt really think about that.

TurboBlew
03-08-2009, 01:11 AM

Ill kinda give you a list starting with the worst and ending with the best

superchips -entry level for basic/stock trucks
mopar pcm - entry to mid level for basic/mildly modified trucks
flashed PCM - entry level to highly modified trucks. can be done numerous times (and probably will have too)
sct - entry level to extremely wild builds (although boosted app benefits are still with the jury)

Datalogging is something you do for a extensively modified street/race vehicle. Data points can include Exhaust Gas Temps, Air Fuel ratios, fuel and oil pressures, etc. With SCT, the tuner has the ability to change parameters on your tune. The tuner can do this task remotely if they have data files to look at and see what the engine/trans are doing. If you go to a shop to have it tuned, they can do it immediately but not in "real time".

rhurley
03-08-2009, 01:46 AM
Thank you so much! thats exactly what i needed!!! so for what i got what would you recommend? With nitrous? any thing better to do than the other? thanks again

TurboBlew
03-08-2009, 04:14 AM
Thank you so much! thats exactly what i needed!!! so for what i got what would you recommend? With nitrous? any thing better to do than the other? thanks again

mopar pcm is a good product for trucks that are driven on the street.
Otherwise SCT is the best bet!

TurboBlew
03-08-2009, 04:15 AM
On that list Ive excluded standalone fuel/ignition management for ease of understanding.

Five9Dak
03-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Turbo covered most of it. Once you have any sort of tune you will be running more timing and need premium fuel. This extra timing may need to be pulled back out when your spraying nitrous, so take that into consideration.

rhurley
03-10-2009, 01:34 AM
Alright thanks again. That all lakes for sense now. So would you say that something like a suprchips tuner is not worth the money?

TurboBlew
03-10-2009, 02:29 AM
Alright thanks again. That all lakes for sense now. So would you say that something like a suprchips tuner is not worth the money?

Used... maybe. New, definitely not! Personally Id rather have a mopar PCM.

The SCT would probably be the best investment you could make so you can keep the truck tuned regardless.

01dakotaR/T
03-10-2009, 02:31 AM
Used... maybe. New, definitely not! Personally Id rather have a mopar PCM.

The SCT would probably be the best investment you could make so you can keep the truck tuned regardless.

x2. you can always have your tuner re-write you a tune if you need it unlike a pcm flash were you have to send in your computer to change stuff.

rhurley
03-11-2009, 01:52 AM
Alright well looks like i gotta start looking for a mopar pcm! but an m1 is first on the list!!! anybody got one cheap? lol