PDA

View Full Version : Throttle sticking

rt dak
03-05-2009, 11:17 PM
Lately i've been noticing my throttle sticking. When I come to a stop light or something, my RPMs will hang up and a little blip of the throttle will get them back down. Also when I let my foot off the gas to coast down a hill, they sometimes hang, or if i'm pulling into a parking space with my foot on the brake inching ahead and the RPMs hang and actually pull me forward. Blip of the throttle always makes them drop, but it's just annoying. I've heard of these throttle bodies sticking, but usually with nitrous. I have an F&B 52mm and my IAC and TPS are both only 3,000 miles old.

Even more recently, sometimes when I come to a stop and put it in park the RPMs will fly up and i'm sure would peg the limiter if I didn't shut her down first. I don't remember any of this happening in the warmer weather (put the TB on last July). Any ideas of what to do?

01dakotaR/T
03-06-2009, 12:19 AM
Lately i've been noticing my throttle sticking. When I come to a stop light or something, my RPMs will hang up and a little blip of the throttle will get them back down. Also when I let my foot off the gas to coast down a hill, they sometimes hang, or if i'm pulling into a parking space with my foot on the brake inching ahead and the RPMs hang and actually pull me forward. Blip of the throttle always makes them drop, but it's just annoying. I've heard of these throttle bodies sticking, but usually with nitrous. I have an F&B 52mm and my IAC and TPS are both only 3,000 miles old.

Even more recently, sometimes when I come to a stop and put it in park the RPMs will fly up and i'm sure would peg the limiter if I didn't shut her down first. I don't remember any of this happening in the warmer weather (put the TB on last July). Any ideas of what to do?

maybe take if off and clean it up. can you see any junk around the throttle blades??

rt dak
03-06-2009, 01:00 AM
I just cleaned it last night and it didn't help, but I didn't think it would. It wasn't dirty anyway, it's only been on for 3,000 miles.

01dakotaR/T
03-06-2009, 01:19 AM
I just cleaned it last night and it didn't help, but I didn't think it would. It wasn't dirty anyway, it's only been on for 3,000 miles.

hmm. is the throttle cable bent at all or in a bind?? im just trying to throw some ideas out there...

Hugh Jassole
03-06-2009, 05:13 PM
try loosening the TPS bolts slightly

G-Man
03-06-2009, 05:32 PM

X2, I had same problem.

rt dak
03-06-2009, 11:25 PM

X2, I had same problem.

Thanks, i'll try tomorrow.

rt dak
03-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Seems like it's working so far. Thanks guys!

Hugh Jassole
03-09-2009, 02:11 PM
Seems like it's working so far. Thanks guys!

cool :biggthumpup:

rt dak
03-18-2009, 12:14 PM
Well it did seem to fix it for the 30 minutes I drove around for after I loosened the TPS bolts, but turns out i'm still having the problem. Any other suggestions?

sunike32
03-18-2009, 01:28 PM
Any chance the throttle linkage is hitting some sort of cold air intake? I have heard of that causing the symptoms you're having as well. What throttle body?

rt dak
03-18-2009, 04:47 PM
Any chance the throttle linkage is hitting some sort of cold air intake? I have heard of that causing the symptoms you're having as well. What throttle body?

No, it clears fine. I'm running a K&N open element and I have the same problems with it off running open TB. It's an F&B 52mm.

G-Man
03-18-2009, 08:08 PM
Well it did seem to fix it for the 30 minutes I drove around for after I loosened the TPS bolts, but turns out i'm still having the problem. Any other suggestions?

you might try lubeing the throttle shaft where it goes thru the TB, when I cleaned mine it had no lube left and it was sticking, just my 2¢
Gwyn

rt dak
03-18-2009, 10:17 PM
you might try lubeing the throttle shaft where it goes thru the TB, when I cleaned mine it had no lube left and it was sticking, just my 2¢
Gwyn

Definitely worth a try, what did you use to lube it?

G-Man
03-19-2009, 12:58 PM
Definitely worth a try, what did you use to lube it?

I think I used motor oil,
Gwyn

jweltch
03-30-2009, 07:28 PM
I had the exact same problem with an F&B 50 on my 03. I never did figure out how to fix it, and now I'm back to the stock TB for now. While I was trying to figure it out, I had the air hat off and was watching the TB while the truck was running, the blades hung open ever so slightly until I blipped the throttle and then it was fine. When they hung open, I would shut down the motor and watch them close back down on their own. It just seemed like there was so much vacuum that it was pulling them open a bit. The blades didn't stick, there was nothing hanging up on the linkage, I replaced the TPS and IAC to no avail. Sent the thing back to Bruce and had him check it out and he didn't find anything but sent me another one to try, same damn thing. The only thing that I could think of to fix it is a heavier return spring and the one that was already on there seemed much heavier than stock as it was. The only thing I didn't try was to put it on my Durango to see if the same thing happened there. Unfortunately I have no real advice for you, just sharing my experience. One of these days I'd like to try another TB (perhaps a Fastman or something) to see if it does the same thing.

rt dak
03-30-2009, 10:40 PM
I lubed the balls out of mine with WD-40 the other day and everything seems alright now. If it wears off or whatever i'll just re-lube it. No big deal.